IGNORED

SIO2PC USB with RespeQt Port Speed

Tempest

3 hours ago, HiassofT said:

Tricky ?

Synchronous mode rang a bell, candle had a look at it some time ago - see this thread

I still haven't found time to look into that (TBH it wasn't too high priority to me either), so if someone wants to have a go at that I'd be interested to read/hear about that!

Hi Hias,

It was actually me who researched synchronous mode extensively years ago (but true, inspired by Candle's idea). We even talked about it in the following thread, you forgot! :) :

POKEY really is a bitch (no FIFO, requiring manual acknowledgement of received bytes via IRQEN etc) and I'm not sure it's possible to get faster transfers working with full error checking (overrun, timeout, framing errors) than I implemented in my highspeed SIO code. With ANTIC DMA and NMI turned off and framing/overrun error checking removed faster speeds should be possible, but that's a bit of a niche use case.

You can easily reach speeds, at least, twice faster than async divisor zero. You probably might need to disable NMI, and depending how fast you go, you might need no more than a very few ANTIC DMA cycles. Error checking is not a big problem. Maximum possible bitrate is slightly less than PHI2/3 at approx 570 kHz.

Edited by ijor
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, ijor said:

It was actually me who researched synchronous mode extensively years ago (but true, inspired by Candle's idea). We even talked about it in the following thread, you forgot! :) :

Ah, I had a vague impression there was more to it than just that one thread but both my memory and my search-foo failed me - thanks for refreshing my memory!

so long,

Hias

I'd much rather see effort put into a PBI2PC-USB type device (or PBI2Ethernet or PBI2Wifi) Maybe functionality like FujiNet but orders of magnitude faster... FujuNet2? PBI2FujiNet?

Like inconito/ultimate1MB PBI BIOS - PBI device drivers for disk, printer, serial, printer, N:, H: etc could all install automatically without any OS ROM modifications.

I don't see an issue doing all three... serial solution, pbi/eci, cart.... but the fourth option of a modified OS or even new OS shouldn't be excluded either... I like the everything approach... SIO being the first step always on the Atari dev process...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1