IGNORED

Nano-PEB to PC does not work...

Kchula-Rrit

Since a recent move, I've unpacked my TI equipment and have been fiddling with it.  I'm using a Windows 98 machine to store Compact-Flash images and to capture serial output from the NanoPEB-SIO.  Sending ASCII from the TI to the Win98 machine works OK, but trying to send from the Win98 to the TI doesn't work.  Both computers are set to XON/XOFF handshake, so far as I can tell.  I use Procomm in DOS mode to receive/try-to-send serial.  It would be great to be able to use VDM99 to just download/upload but it doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas to try?

I already use it but it requires taking the CF out of the NanoPEB and plug it into a USB-CF adapter, after restarting the Windows machine to Win2000 side.  I would rather just use the serial cable that I already have connected and VDM99 under Win98, so I can keep wear and tear on the NanoPEB to a minimum.  I'm sure these things are rare as hen's teeth and don't want to break it because there's no replacement.

It just occurred (d'oh!) to me that I have not tried Procomm on the Win2000 side to see if that combination would communicate.  I think I had VDM99 working in a Windows 7(!) system a few years ago but it was very slow.

K-R.

Are you using a null modem cable?

I have nanos in stock at arcadeshopper.com so your statement on rare is not accurate.

Additionally the TI side software must support the nano. Have you used that software successfully before? Sio sounds kinda you have the weirdo nano that uses a 16550 uart (v2) rather than the one he has standardized on that has a 9902 (v1) nothing supports that uart but hdxs that I know of and basic io or te2 which use the DSR

Hdx is a much better file transfer system for that anyway.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

An update.  I tried something I should have though of before and plugged a Terminal Emulator II cartridge into the TI and started Procomm on Win98.  Typed "hello" on both sides and had it come through.  I'll have to try some other ideas to figure it out.

The NanoPEB is a V1 that I bought some years ago.  I looked at the chips and there is a TMS9902 on the board.  VDM99 was able to get a directory listing from the TI before returning an error.

Once I get a work-table set up I can get my oscilloscope out and see what's up.  I'm kind of "rusty" (more so than I thought) and need to get back into things.

Also, I did not know that NanoPEBs were still available.  I heard they went out of production shortly after I bought mine, and just assumed that I'd be out of luck.

K-R.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 10:54 AM, WhataKowinkydink said:

Speaking of software that doesn't work with the nanoPEB, Disk Review seems to freeze the system every time I go to select a drive number.

If you are using Disk Review that comes with Funnelweb be sure you are using the disk image modified for use with the nano.  It addresses a problem introduced by the nanoPEB's disk system.  The image should be lurking somewhere in one of the TI forums. 

43 minutes ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

An update.  I tried something I should have though of before and plugged a Terminal Emulator II cartridge into the TI and started Procomm on Win98.  Typed "hello" on both sides and had it come through.  I'll have to try some other ideas to figure it out.

Nearly all terminal programs access the 9902 without explicitly enabling the RS232 'card'.  Unfortunately, the nanopeb creator did not mimic this expected hardware behavior and when I inquired a few years ago there was not any interest in correcting the issue.  If you are using a standard TI (without F18A) you can use Telco terminal emulator after applying the patch for the nano.   If you are using an F18A modified TI, then you can use TIMXT. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2020 at 10:39 PM, Kchula-Rrit said:

The NanoPEB is a V1 that I bought some years ago.  I looked at the chips and there is a TMS9902 on the board.  VDM99 was able to get a directory listing from the TI before returning an error.

Once I get a work-table set up I can get my oscilloscope out and see what's up.  I'm kind of "rusty" (more so than I thought) and need to get back into things.

Also, I did not know that NanoPEBs were still available.  I heard they went out of production shortly after I bought mine, and just assumed that I'd be out of luck.

K-R.

ok good v1 is the better model

the reason vdm99 doesn't work is that it doesn't specifically enable the port.. try hdxs.. it works the best.. 

Greg

• Like 1

Thought I would report some good news!  Last night I was able to send a small file back-and-forth between Win98 and my TI, apparently without error.

First, I tried loading "TELCN" using E/A Option 5, but the console locked up with "Unable to load module" message.  Was unable to get beyond that, like the computer was in an infinite loop.  Then I did the following:

1. Used CF2K to reassign the image to DSK1.

2. Used CF2K to rename the file named LOAD to LOAD-TELCO, so I would have an original.

3. Started XBasic and loaded DSK1.LOAD-TELCO.  Edited references to TELCO to say TELCN.

4. Saved to DSK1.LOAD, and also saved a copy to DSK1.LOAD-TLCN to have a backup.

5. Restarted with XBasic and TELCO ran!

Did a simple text file transfer at 1200 bps 8-N-1 between TELCO and Procomm (DSK1.TELCN;S -> C:\telcn.s -> DSK1.THIS).  Used Win98 version of KDiff to compare them and it worked!  Thanks for everyone's hard work!

K-R.

• Like 4

Just tried another approach this morning to get TELCO to run. I used CFMGR to set my TELCO image to DSK1 and it worked using E/A 5!

Looks like something REALLY wants to run out of DSK1. I'll have to rearrange my development environment but at least I don't have to swap cartridges. I've heard stories of edge connectors wearing out and would like to avoid that if I can.

K-R.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Telco can update the load drive as part of the startup process -- it's in the documentation  -  no sector editing required, though I admit to doing so as well. ;)

I found the part about changing the load drive and did so.  Telco ran great but still had some problems with file transfers.

It might have been something I did, or maybe a quirky NanoPEB, or Roswell aliens.  Turned out I had plenty of space in my DSK1, so I wimped out and just copied the files there.  So far, so good.

K-R.

I used CF2K or DM2K (do not remember which) to look at the received files in hexadecimal mode.  The transfer went without a hitch and the data looks OK, but C99 and the TI editor want DISPLAY/VARIABLE-80 files and Telco makes DISPLAY/FIXED-128 files.

I got my conversion program to run but still have to tweak it a bit.

K-R.

Edited by Kchula-Rrit

1 hour ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

Since copying into DSK1, file transfers work.  The problem I have is that both XMODEM and YMODEM transfers appear to save the ASCII files as DISPLAY/FIXED-128.  Last night I wrote a program to convert a DF128 to a DV80 file I can feed to C99.

What format is this 'ascii' file in on the PC?  If Telco (and other terminal emulators) receive a file that is not in the expected TI files format, it will save the data in DF128 format.  Conversion programs are your friend - either on the TI side or the PC side.  For example, you can use Fred's program to convert a TXT file to DV80 TIFILES format.  (If you convert the file in this manner be sure to verify the resulting file is in TIFILES format, not V9T9 format.  V9T9 will transfer over as DF128)

• Like 1