IGNORED

AtariFest and World of Atari

rkindig

Hi, I'm looking for any and all materials someone may have around the AtariFest and World of Atari shows that occurred in the 80's and 90's.  Any other Atari-specific shows, for that matter.  For the ANTIC Podcast, I'm wanting to do a special on those shows.  I used to attend those shows myself, but haven't been able to find any of my materials from those days.  There seems to be very little material (I found one flyer) on archive.org and I found zero videos on YouTube on this topic.

Types of materials:

- show flyers

- videos of talks

- videos of show exhibits

- advertisements

Does anyone have any such material lying around?

thanks!

Randy Kindig

co-host ANTIC Podcast (ataripodcast.com)

• Like 1

I have a couple AtariFest flyers/program booklets.  I went to several as a kid.  My parents were vendors, they sold a rechargable NiCAD battery pack, charger and carrying case for the STacy.  They were heavily in the ST and I had a 130XE and a Lynx growing up.  Seeing the STe and Lynx for the first time at AtariFest was pretty magical for an 8yr old.

I have some Atari promo materials for the ST, STacy, TT, etc that we picked up there as well.

I'll see what I can find in the closet.

Hey Randy,

Try looking in the Current Notes magazine/newsletter. I seem to recall a number of mentions of those shows in them. I will be scanning some non-archived Current Notes in the following weeks. If I see anything about the shows in any of them I will put them on the top of the scan pile.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:59 AM, kogden said:

I have a couple AtariFest flyers/program booklets.  I went to several as a kid.  My parents were vendors, they sold a rechargable NiCAD battery pack, charger and carrying case for the STacy.  They were heavily in the ST and I had a 130XE and a Lynx growing up.  Seeing the STe and Lynx for the first time at AtariFest was pretty magical for an 8yr old.

I have some Atari promo materials for the ST, STacy, TT, etc that we picked up there as well.

I'll see what I can find in the closet.

That's awesome.  I would love to get copies of whatever materials you have.  We should make sure they're on archive.org as well.

Please let me know what you find!

Thanks

Randy

On 3/30/2020 at 1:05 PM, Allan said:

Hey Randy,

Try looking in the Current Notes magazine/newsletter. I seem to recall a number of mentions of those shows in them. I will be scanning some non-archived Current Notes in the following weeks. If I see anything about the shows in any of them I will put them on the top of the scan pile.

I used to purchase Current Notes back in the day.  I thought it was a great magazine.  I do recall that it did a good job of running articles that covered the shows.

I've had difficulties finding the full run of Current Notes, so if you're scanning some additional ones, that's fantastic!

thanks

Randy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rkindig said:

I used to purchase Current Notes back in the day.  I thought it was a great magazine.  I do recall that it did a good job of running articles that covered the shows.

I've had difficulties finding the full run of Current Notes, so if you're scanning some additional ones, that's fantastic!

thanks

Randy

I have a massive amount of Current Notes magazine.  It may be the full run or close to it.  Most are in great shape.  I haven't seen scanned copies.  I don't have a good way of efficiently scanning them.  Is there a good way to do so without destroying the originals?

If any are missing somewhere I might have them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rkindig said:

thanks

Randy

Yea, I have a stack of issues from 1989-1992 to scan.

1 hour ago, kogden said:

I have a massive amount of Current Notes magazine.  It may be the full run or close to it.  Most are in great shape.  I haven't seen scanned copies.  I don't have a good way of efficiently scanning them.  Is there a good way to do so without destroying the originals?

If any are missing somewhere I might have them.

Well, no easy way for most of them. If you don't want to cut them, the only way to scan them is one page at a time. If you decide to scan some of them, check archive.org and PM me so we are not doing the same issues. The hardest issues to find are the early ones when it looked more like a newsletter. That would be the best place to start. These are just stapled together in the top left hand corner and are single page. You could just take the staple out, scan them in a doc-feeder or just a regular flat bed scanner, and re-staple them. I wish they were all like this because I would have them all scanned and posted in hours instead of weeks/months.

I have wanted this for YEARS!!!  There is quite a few issues up on archive dot org now.    Kevin Savetz mentioned quite a while back he had a bunch to scan.  Not sure if he is the one who posted them on archive dot org or not.   He has scanned so much and contributed so much to the Atari community.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting these! Anyone know which issue has anything about the World of Atari show that was in Worcester Ma in the late 80's? I was there! 

5 hours ago, Brentarian said:

I attended several AtariFests in the DC area.  One was at Fairfax High School and the other may have been there also but I can't remember.  I may have one of the programs up in the attic.  Those were fun shows!

I believe I went to one of them in Fairfax.  I would love to see one of the programs!  Please let me know if you find it.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to update this thread.  

So all Current Notes issues from 1990 are up on Archive.org.

Just do a search for "current notes 1990" and they will all come up on top.

I'm starting in on the 1991 run. Don't have them all. Missing the May issue. If anybody has this issue please consider scanning it or letting someone else scan it.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 3:02 PM, rkindig said:

Hi, I'm looking for any and all materials someone may have around the AtariFest and World of Atari shows that occurred in the 80's and 90's.  Any other Atari-specific shows, for that matter.  For the ANTIC Podcast, I'm wanting to do a special on those shows. 

What about this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rare-1982-Atari-Computers-Banner-Sign-Display-60-x-32/123995840780

Atari banner 1982.png

Atari banner 1982 - 4.jpg

Atari banner 1982 - 3.png

Atari banner 1982 - 2.png

I have the 1992 WAACE AtariFest program. I haven't scanned it yet. I remember it well. John Trautschold from Missionware Software gave me a ride on his Piper Cherokee (first airplane ride!) if I would help him out at his booth. Good times!

I also have the program from the 1991 Chicago ComputerFest. It was one of the few Atari-sponsored user group shows in the Midwest. World of Atari made it to Windsor, but that was a bit far for me at the time.

If you're interested in the Chicago ComputerFest, a previous interviewee of your podcast (Dwight "JJ" Johnson) is the person to talk to about it. I haven't listened to the interview yet to know if you already discussed that with him.

I also have brochures on the very small regional Milwaukee AtariFest that we did for two years. Since we operated on a shoestring, the program is little more than a folded sheet of paper.

If you need any of these programs, please let me know. I don't know when I'll have time to scan them since I'll have to do it a page at a time on our multi-function printer's scanner.

Bob C

On 5/11/2020 at 10:28 PM, darwinmac said:

I have the 1992 WAACE AtariFest program. I haven't scanned it yet. I remember it well. John Trautschold from Missionware Software gave me a ride on his Piper Cherokee (first airplane ride!) if I would help him out at his booth. Good times!

I also have the program from the 1991 Chicago ComputerFest. It was one of the few Atari-sponsored user group shows in the Midwest. World of Atari made it to Windsor, but that was a bit far for me at the time.

If you're interested in the Chicago ComputerFest, a previous interviewee of your podcast (Dwight "JJ" Johnson) is the person to talk to about it. I haven't listened to the interview yet to know if you already discussed that with him.

I also have brochures on the very small regional Milwaukee AtariFest that we did for two years. Since we operated on a shoestring, the program is little more than a folded sheet of paper.

If you need any of these programs, please let me know. I don't know when I'll have time to scan them since I'll have to do it a page at a time on our multi-function printer's scanner.

Bob C

Definitely interested in the 1992 WAACE AtariFest as the AtariFest and World of Atari shows are the ones on which I'm focused at this time.  I would love to get that!  I would be happy to scan it if you're willing to send to me and I can return to you.  Of course, you don't know me, but I host both the ANTIC and Floppy Days Podcast (for 7 years now) if that makes a difference.  Thanks and let me know!

1 hour ago, rkindig said:

Definitely interested in the 1992 WAACE AtariFest as the AtariFest and World of Atari shows are the ones on which I'm focused at this time.  I would love to get that!

Randy,

While I don’t know you personally, I definitely have heard of you. Let me see if I can scan it myself first. If that doesn’t work, I can send the program to you as long as I can get it back. 

When I’m looking thru my bookcase and stumble across it, it always brings back great memories. To show what time period we’re talking about, the show map has a smoking lounge listed. :)

Bob C