IGNORED

AQUARIUS - SAVE/LOAD with alt cassette drive

Airshack

I have that pin-for-pin compatible Tandy cassette cable. Hooked it up to my Aquarius and the TI099/4A Program Recorder. Nojoy! It's simply a rebranded generic recorder of the day.

Tape playback proves the Aquarius is recording the typical data sounds: A (BEGIN) Tone, followed by garbled noise I presume is code, followed by another tone (END)?

So it seems to be recording some output from the Aquarius. Any suggestions as to how I should adjust the TONE and VOLUME on the cassette recorder?

Anyone have success saving and loading BASIC programs to cassette on the Aquarius using alternative cassette recorders? How about digital recorders or computers? GarageBand?

20 hours ago, Airshack said:

I have that pin-for-pin compatible Tandy cassette cable. Hooked it up to my Aquarius and the TI099/4A Program Recorder. Nojoy! It's simply a rebranded generic recorder of the day.

Tape playback proves the Aquarius is recording the typical data sounds: A (BEGIN) Tone, followed by garbled noise I presume is code, followed by another tone (END)?

So it seems to be recording some output from the Aquarius. Any suggestions as to how I should adjust the TONE and VOLUME on the cassette recorder?

Anyone have success saving and loading BASIC programs to cassette on the Aquarius using alternative cassette recorders? How about digital recorders or computers? GarageBand?

The radio shack cable is different

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Airshack said:

They Tandy radio Shack and the Aquarius both use a 5pin DIN but are wired differently.  

This is a quick chart to show you how to rewire it for use with the Aquarius computer

Just cut the cable and cross the wires so that the Tandy wire joins the Aquarius wire.  IE Tandy PIN 1 to Aquarius PIN 4,  Tandy PIN 2 to Aquarius PIN 2, Tandy PIN 3 to Aquarius PIN 5, Tandy PIN 4 to Aquarius PIN 3, and Tandy PIN 5 to Aquarius PIN 1

Tandy Cassette                                 Aquarius Cassette 

Pin 1. remote sleeve                         Pin 4

Pin 2. ground                                   Pin 2

Pin 3. remote tip                              Pin 5

Pin 4. data in                                   Pin 3

Pin 5. data out                                 Pin 1 

This is the DIN PIN out

1        3

4     5

Edited by rietveld

2 minutes ago, rietveld said:

I use your way to load .WAVs also.    Maybe AQUACART 2.0 will include the tape games   :)

I'm glad it helped!  And I haven't forgotten about "Volume II"; I've been thinking about it some more lately, but I need to get school out of the way first.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DRAGON-32-DRAGON-64-CASSETTE-TAPE-RECORDER-CABLE-LEADS/391164004605?hash=item5b133108fd:g:BNEAAOSwpdpVcbtI

The Dragon 32/64 cable is the same as the Tandy coco/102 except cheaper.

or you can make one .   If you are only loading .WAVs from a PC like jaybird3rd suggested then you only need to connect PIN 3 and PIN 2 to the Aquarius.  Thats an easy cable to make.   PIN 2 goes to the sleeve of the plug and PIN 3 goes to the tip. Heck you dont even need a DIN plug then, just get a mono headphone cable and strip the wire and tin it a bit and it will slide right into the cassette port on the Aquarius.

Edited by rietveld