IGNORED

Which Electrolytic caps are the most dangerous

gs80065xe

I've had my 65XE since the late 80's. And I've never recapped the machine. It uses a rebuildable power supply I purchased from Best-Electronics a few years ago. In addition I have a restored 800 I purchased off E-Bay. But I don't know if restored means it was recapped. It appears to be using an original 400/800 power supply.

Since replacement parts are becoming more scarce, I was wondering if there are any particular caps I should replace just to be on the safe side.

Thanks,

Glenn

65XE.  If it boots up and there are no power, video, sound issues...why F with it?  If you want you can inspect the caps. No leakage, no bulging....why F with it?   65XE motherboards can still be had, not a rare thing at all.  Leave it alone, unless Corona (the Virus or the brew) has you bored.  

39 minutes ago, gs80065xe said:

Since replacement parts are becoming more scarce, I was wondering if there are any particular caps I should replace just to be on the safe side.

Caps are not going to be hard to find ever, so I wouldn't waste my time unless you are having some issues with the machine or you see some caps bulging.  When I do a re-cap on a CRT I replace every one of them, they are typically cheap. 

Best,
Gavin

3 hours ago, gs80065xe said:

OK. I was just concerned about their age and drying out. Didn't want to risk one failing and taking out hard to find components with it.

Kind of seems to me that it depends on the systems if the caps tend to go so bad they need replacing.  For example, most of the STs I've seen, no cap issues.  Amigas, almost assuredly have issues that a re-cap fixes.  I recapped the 7800 I have that has a cracked case... and I don't know what I did, but the new cap is bulging for some reason.  Guess since I just bought this giant bag of capacitors, I could replace that one again...

I bought into the hype (and got bored sitting at home for several weeks) and recapped all of my 800s, a couple of 400s and all of my ST PSUs.  I haven't really noticed any difference, but it was enjoyable work.  Ordered everything through digikey.

• Like 1

600/600 XL and the XEs all get their native voltage from the PSU.  Any related damage is usually due to that rather than an internal failure.

I might be wrong here but I don't think removing or having any internal cap fail would damage the computer at all.

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

I might be wrong here but I don't think removing or having any internal cap fail would damage the computer at all.

You are right, the caps that go are generally electrolytic's and they tend to be there for power stabilisation, so when they

go bad, it's usually the PSU/regulators that suffer.

Of course a failed regulator migh then allow higher unstable voltages

onto the power rails which in turn could then kill chips.

Replying in a literal sense, any of the HV caps out there is still charged, seen a few of them shorted to discharge...Boy that's a bang..

As for the XE, always worth getting spares of anything getting feed from the regs...To be honest, If I had the time I'd make a complete list of components and where possible , get a couple of each as spares. 

Custom chips aside, most ICs and components are off the shelf and easily obtained.

Given the youngest machines are now almost 30 years old, they've lasted pretty well.

I bet if you recapped an XL just for the sake of it, they wouldn't last the same duration again.

• Like 1

The most "dangerous" caps are the ones leaking or bulging.? Of course they all could be dangerous if you try biting them with your teeth...but mostly they keep to themselves and don't bother anyone. I've never had one try to mug me or threaten to blow up in my face or anything at least...?

Edited by Gunstar