IGNORED

Another newbish question.

DavidC

Will .dsk files created on js99er run on the Real Iron?  I use js99er on my chromebook and I have a .dsk that I have been saving my stupid little program experiments on for the past few months.  I got the bright idea of transferring the .dsk file to a thumbdrive > to my pc > to the compact flash for the nano using Ti99DIR.  Only half the programs work on the real iron. They ALL work on js99er just fine, and also on Classic99 just fine.  Why would only "some" of the programs work and not others?   They are all just regular Extended Basic short snippits of things I was experimenting with.  They show up when I do a "Catalog" of the .dsk, but they refuse to load with a OLD DSK#.PROGRAM NAME     Some do, others give me a error message.   I/O Error 02.    

11 minutes ago, DavidC said:

Will .dsk files created on js99er run on the Real Iron?  I use js99er on my chromebook and I have a .dsk that I have been saving my stupid little program experiments on for the past few months.  I got the bright idea of transferring the .dsk file to a thumbdrive > to my pc > to the compact flash for the nano using Ti99DIR.  Only half the programs work on the real iron. They ALL work on js99er just fine, and also on Classic99 just fine.  Why would only "some" of the programs work and not others?   They are all just regular Extended Basic short snippits of things I was experimenting with.  They show up when I do a "Catalog" of the .dsk, but they refuse to load with a OLD DSK#.PROGRAM NAME     Some do, others give me a error message.   I/O Error 02.    

Show us the disk image and let us know one of the programs that doesn't work, and we'll be able to answer the question. :)

Some programs I "borrowed" from you guys here, to look at the code and figure out your wizardry, some typed in from magazines or books, some are my own concoctions..either way. some load just fine, some give the error...only on the real iron, they work fine in emulation.  Let me find the thumbdrive...I will attach the file..

Edited by DavidC

Can you be specific on a file that doesn't work on the disk so I can look at it closely? I don't really want to deep dive every file on the disk.

Overall the structure seems okay. I/O Error 02 means "bad attribute", which is odd for BASIC loading a PROGRAM type file. Maybe the image copied across improperly?

My machine is still packed, unfortunately.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

Good call, that's an easy fix using TI99Dir.  Use the command to make a new disk image of the format required, and copy over the files to the new image.

A hand holding walkthrough with colorful pictures please?  How do I do this, and was it because I went from a chromebook to the pc to transfer the files?

1 hour ago, Tursi said:

Can you be specific on a file that doesn't work on the disk so I can look at it closely? I don't really want to deep dive every file on the disk.

Overall the structure seems okay. I/O Error 02 means "bad attribute", which is odd for BASIC loading a PROGRAM type file. Maybe the image copied across improperly?

My machine is still packed, unfortunately.

Yes sir, XBSCROLL was one I got from here, I think it was from INSANE, or SOMETIMES, one of the regulars, it is at the bottom of the catalog listing.  That gives me I/O Error 02 

Edited by DavidC

45 minutes ago, Fritz442 said:

You have a 360k, 1440 sector disk here. Can your TI setup handle DSDD disks?

Can you elaborate on that, I don't know why anything would be DSDD ( double sided double density? )  I have never had a real disk drive. I have only used emulation, and my nanoPEB on the real thing. 

The disk size should be fine for a NanoPeb or CF7, they use 400k disk images on the flash card itself, and tolerate smaller ones.

Hmmm.. XBSCROLL is located early on the disk image, sector 256. So it's not an end-of-the-disk issue.

Sector 0 looks valid - 1440 sectors, double-sided, double-density with 16 sectors per track. But if that was wrong NOTHING would likely work.

Sector 1 is incorrect though. For the TI disk controller to be able to find files, Sector 1 includes an alphabetical sorted list of files. The files on your disk image are not all sorted correctly - for instance, "SPEDIT" comes after "SPREDIT". "XBSCROLL", the file you mentioned, comes after "CHART", but CHART comes after "FLYBRD".

For whatever reason, the index sector doesn't have the right order of files here, and it matters to the TI DSR. I was able to reproduce your error in Classic99 using the TI disk controller, which enforces that restriction. (The Classic99 DSR is much more flexible, and can search the whole directory rather than failing out the binary search. JS99er's is probably similar).

Give me a few, I'll build a quick tool to re-sort the directory, that should fix it (and allow you to fix other disk images you may have).

• Like 2

I guess if you fix it to resort the entire index on a save instead of just one file, he can fix his disks quicker than me writing a tool from scratch. I tried that in Classic99, but I was too clever for my own good and it just inserts the new file rather than sorting the whole directory. ;)