IGNORED

Why do so few Intellivision games display your score during gameplay?

Never thought of that... but I'd say it's probably a combination of what you suggested.

For some games, showing a score just does not make sense. Think AD&D for instance.

From a technical standpoint: Intellivision's resolution means real estate is scarce.

Also games with scrolling require special attention so the score won't roll with the entire screen.

• Like 1

Yeah, the intellivision has one background layer so every pixel there is used for object-background collision detection.  That's how it is in Utopia but it doesn't have to be.  You could add a y position condition and have objects move through the numbers at the bottom.  Or you can use tables and software and skip the hardware collision detection with the background.

That also means when the background scrolls, the text scrolls with it.  So games with background scrolling like auto racing, space hawk, football, soccer, skiing, mazeatron, space spartans don't show any stats while the background is scrolling.  Bumpnjump is an exception as they did some clever background animation to keep some characters stationary.  But that involved extra code.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, mr_me said:

Yeah, the intellivision has one background layer so every pixel there is used for object-background collision detection.  That's how it is in Utopia but it doesn't have to be.  You could add a y position condition and have objects move through the numbers at the bottom.  Or you can use tables and software and skip the hardware collision detection with the background.

That also means when the background scrolls, the text scrolls with it.  So games with background scrolling like auto racing, space hawk, football, soccer, skiing, mazeatron, space spartans don't show any stats while the background is scrolling.  Bumpnjump is an exception as they did some clever background animation to keep some characters stationary.  But that involved extra code.

I kinda like how Space Hawk gives you a score screen when you reach certain thresholds.

5 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

Is coarse scrolling when the movement is more jerky? Kinda like Mazatron?

Mazeatron uses hardware fine pixel scrolling.  With coarse scrolling you'd use software to point the background tiles to different gram cards.  The scrolling would therefore jump eight pixels at a time.  Colecovision for example doesn't have hardware scrolling so zaxxon scrolls in eight pixel increments.

Edited by mr_me
  • Thanks 1