IGNORED

Ultra Satan Clock on 1040STE

Bee

So I have a new Ultra Satan and have the Get Clock in my Auto folder.  On boot it shows the year 2020 retrieved, but the control panel shows 2028.  Anyone know why?  This is a STE on TOS 1.06, from what I read, this should be fixed until 2030?

Thank you

Did you ask Lotharek? I'm assuming, since he's selling the device, he'd be somewhat familiar with it, and how it works, and would be able to tell you what clock accessory to use, if a fix is required, etc.

If he's ever able to finally start shipping again, I have a US coming from him as well and would be interested in knowing how this turns out. I would think there would be enough US users on here that someone would've been able to give you a definitive answer by now.

4 hours ago, Colleton said:

https://blog.troed.se/projects/dallas-rtc-sync-tos-y2k-fix/

I found this and downloaded it last night but haven't tried it yet.  Is it specific to the Dallas RTC mentioned in the blog post or will it work with the US?

in the doc is written is works as Y2K fix only when th Dallas is not installed

So, Bee, did you not order your US from Lothark?

Right there on the website, on the web page for all of the US products, there is a link called Files. If you look there, you'll find a file called clock.zip.

I'm fairly certain all the files and documentation you need to get your clock working properly are included in that zip file. I don't have mine yet, so I can't play around with it, but a cursory glance looks like that is what you need. Remember, always go back to the seller/manufacturer for help first.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=48#files

Edited by bfollowell

42 minutes ago, Bee said:

Those are the files I'm using.  I wrote Lotharek other questions and never got an answer.

I will try the Y2k file I got it last night as well.

Thank you

Well, that’s all I can offer until I get mine then, but I’ll be watching. Good luck.

OK on a 1040STE, 4megs, TOS 1.06, Ultra Satan, 

Y2KFIX.PRG

US_GET_CL.PRG

Results is 4/17/00 in the desk accessory Control.Acc

Booting under TOS 2.06 creating a folder is dated 4/17/00

Still tying to find a solution

Thank you

It looks that SW is able to cover only 20 year span -  0-19, when it reaches 20, as it is now, it goes back to 0.  And real culprit is TOS self. About what I wrote here earlier.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/298769-some-less-known-things-about-tos-reasons-of-bad-programming-of-sw/

Last paragraph of first post in that thread.

I will look into this later, probably need to correct that fixer SW, or writing new ..

• 2 weeks later...

This utility probably uses standard GEMDOS routine to set the Real Time Clock. Although the GEMDOS as well as XBIOS are just fine with years above 2000, but the IKBD controller which runs a hardware RTC on ST - isn't. It accepts time and date in BCD format, with only 2 digits for year. XBIOS routine to read/set date from/to RTC uses dummy BIN to BCD conversion routine, and for year 2000 we get A0 (what should be understood as 100), and respectively for 2020, we'd get C0. Actually when you set date with CONTROL.ACC and XCONTROL.ACC, and when year is lower than 80 (1980) they send 100+year. Unfortunately IKBD ignores any entries higher than 99. Fields that are not valid BCD values are used as blanks - you always have to sent time and date, but when you want to set time only you may set all other fields to FF, or AA... they will be ignored. Year 2028 is returned in your case, because uninitialized IKBD returns year C8 (and initializing it with any value higher than 99 leaves it as it was), rest of fields are initialized correctly.

For details, please read my topic: https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=544&start=40

...and this post: https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28783#p28783

Edited by tzok
TOS -> XBIOS
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 6:48 AM, Colleton said:

https://blog.troed.se/projects/dallas-rtc-sync-tos-y2k-fix/

I found this and downloaded it last night but haven't tried it yet.  Is it specific to the Dallas RTC mentioned in the blog post or will it work with the US?

The Dallas RTC Y2K fix will work without a Dallas RTC installed. 

I use it to fix a Y2K problem on a 1040STE running TOS 2.06. Saying that, I had to follow these steps to get it to properly set the year:

1. Set the date using the current year - 30. That is, subtract 30 from the current year (e.g., use 1990 for 2020).
2. Run the DALLRTC.PRG

The DALLRTC.PRG (Dallas RTC Y2K fix) program will add 30 to the system year and give you the correct year.

This fix will work until 2030.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 5:50 PM, JohnPolka said:

The Dallas RTC Y2K fix will work without a Dallas RTC installed. 

I use it to fix a Y2K problem on a 1040STE running TOS 2.06. Saying that, I had to follow these steps to get it to properly set the year:

1. Set the date using the current year - 30. That is, subtract 30 from the current year (e.g., use 1990 for 2020).
2. Run the DALLRTC.PRG

The DALLRTC.PRG (Dallas RTC Y2K fix) program will add 30 to the system year and give you the correct year.

This fix will work until 2030.

-JP

So what do we do in 2031?  :)

Does this program replace the set date program for the Ultrasatan?

Edited by glorfindeal1

10 hours ago, glorfindeal1 said:

So what do we do in 2031?  :)

Does this program replace the set date program for the Ultrasatan?

Hopefully someone will have an RTC fix for 2031 before 1/1/2031. :) 

This does not replace the set date program for Ultrasatan. It just fixes the date if the date is not showing up correctly on your ST. But you'll need to follow the steps I mentioned to get it to work.

-JP