IGNORED

Favorite keyboard-only Atari 8-bit games

pusakat

What about text AND graphic adventures? I spent weeks on Mask of the Sun (which I got for my fourteenth birthday), because there's an infuriating sequence near the end of the game (the lava jump) which required series of quick keystrokes to master a completely randomly-timed challenge.

I think I also mainly played Wavy Navy and Hard Hat Mack with keyboard input, because I learned to play those games (and mastered the timing) on our school's Apple, which didn't have a joystick.

The Phantasie series from SSI.

• Like 1

I played Spy Hunter with the keyboard before I modified a Stick Stand CX-40 controller base for the second "button" on the second port for smoke/oil slick. It's much more fun and easier to control with a joystick, as long as you have both "buttons." But I guess my favorite keyboard-only game(s) (which you can use a joystick with, but it's easier to just use the keyboard) is Alternate Reality (City & Dungeon).

IMG-20181022-203647.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I don't consider text adventures to be games. They are entertainment, like reading a book or watching a movie, but interactive, like Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books to an extreme. 

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 11:58 AM, pusakat said:

Karateka can be played using keyboard-only too.

Q/A/Z - punch high/middle/low

W/S/X - kick high/middle/low

-> - Advance

<- - Retreat

[Space] - Stand up/Get into fighting stance

B - Bow

This. Karateka keyboard was the only way to play. I first played it on an Apple at school that didn't have a keyboard and it was great.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2020 at 9:58 AM, pusakat said:

Karateka can be played using keyboard-only too.

Q/A/Z - punch high/middle/low

W/S/X - kick high/middle/low

-> - Advance

<- - Retreat

[Space] - Stand up/Get into fighting stance

B - Bow

I honestly never knew Karateka could be played with a joystick until recently, but had to ask 'why would you???'  also always remember to go into the standing mode before going up to the princess.  She can one hit kill you... yet somehow couldn't rescue herself...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheRaven81 said:

umm...hmmm...Actually, I've been playing this for a bit recently, and I'm not sure if I would recommend it anymore. If other's like it, that's great, to each their own. But I'll probably make another thread concerning it, so I don't de-rail this one.