IGNORED

Microchess

xxl

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

would a shortened display list add to computing power?

Yes, sir!

A perfect example of this is System Information 2.24, when running tests with DMA=OFF set.

About 95%+ of net-available CPU is usable for tests, while displaying a narrow, one-liner strip of text indicating progress.

Mini-chess could do the exact same thing, with a global option / toggle for it, when doing its heavy-lifting.

Edited by Faicuai

• 9 months later...
On 4/20/2020 at 11:57 AM, Faicuai said:

Well, certainly among the finest forensics I have seen in a while, without ever forgetting the rabbits that keep coming out (endlessly) of Phaeron's hat! ?

At my current available time (and debugging-know how in Altirra), it could easily take me 24-48 hrs. to nail this down (so KUDOS to you!)

There seems to be a redundant / not-needed LDX @  [$CBDF: $A6 $57], as it is immediately replaced by LDX @ [$CBE4: $AE $F0 $02]. Not sure about the following LDA @ $CBE1, assuming that the idea is to also return the expected value on Accum. (?)

I have actually evaluated E: performance on all versions, and here are the results (System Information 2.24, DMA=OFF for code-only throughput):

1. Rev03 Modified (missing carry-flag state): 609

2. Rev03 Modified (p1: SEC/RTS pair added): 604

3. Rev03 Modified (p2: LDA, CMP, LDX, LDA): 588

I also ran tests on two patched versions (p1 and p2) and I could not see any differences on the only (other) troubled title I've found so far, which is CopyMate 3.8, except being p1 faster.

So I will stay with p1, which seems right on the mark, and also seems to display teeny-weeny-chess correctly (unless another issue comes up somewhere else, but I doubt it).

For those testing these OS loads, consider the following OS-resident 1200XL (dormant) code recovered for XL/XE use (had been already included in these OS-loads, before accel-E: corrections):

1. CTRL + {Inverse/Atari} = ANTIC OFF (any other key afterwards turns it back on)

2. SHFT + {Inverse/Atari} = Key audio-feedback ON/OFF

3. CTRL + SHFT+ Caps      = International Character Set on/off (you can try it and see what happens with MiniChess board)

4. CTRL + SHFT + Delete   = Keyboard input ENABLE/DISABLE

5. CTRL + SHFT + Inverse  = HELP key (Incognito ONLY)

(EDIT): Here are the builds, for Ultimate and Incognito, per Doc's suggestion (accel-E: change only adds $38 instruction @ CBE7):

AtariOS-800XLXE-Rev03-ULT1M-F1_F4-FP-E-p1.rom 16 kB · 10 downloads

Any reason not to take this ROM, patch it with Hias 1.3 SIO code, and burn to an EPROM for a 130XE from a general compatibility perspective? Will be used with #Fujinet mostly...

2 hours ago, Mrarkus said:

Any reason not to take this ROM, patch it with Hias 1.3 SIO code, and burn to an EPROM for a 130XE from a general compatibility perspective? Will be used with #Fujinet mostly...

Forgot mentioning that Self-Test ext. RAM bank-selection has been corrected, so  ext. ram is now tested correctly!

Code-base integrity of those loads has been the priority. All of the original OS features remain intact, essentially. As such, they are meant to be used in a PBI-rich environment, such as U1MB and Incognito BIOS, where high-speed acceleration is provided by means of external PBI-driver. 

You can patch-these for your own use by embedding SIO high-speed code, and make sure you test them well. With or without that, these OS-loads are highly recommended to any XL/XE end-user.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Forgot mentioning that Self-Test ext. RAM bank-selection has been corrected, so  ext. ram is now tested correctly!

Code-base integrity of those loads has been the priority. All of the original OS features remain intact, essentially. As such, they are meant to be used in a PBI-rich environment, such as U1MB and Incognito BIOS, where high-speed acceleration is provided by means of external PBI-driver. 

You can patch-these for your own use by embedding SIO high-speed code, and make sure you test them well. With or without that, these OS-loads are highly recommended to any XL/XE end-user.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. Patched, ROM installed, and working great as of this morning!

My kid has expressed interest in learning programming, so what a better way than his own 130XE :)

• Like 1