IGNORED

Dumb Qs from a Nostalgic Newbie

ajlynx

7 minutes ago, ajlynx said:

Interesting to know, thanks. There's an Atari joystick on eBay for about $26. And actually the 2600 I have right now has 2 controllers, but I'm not sure they work. When I turned on the system I got a picture on screen of a game seeming to happen, but the controllers didn't do anything - not sure whether it was controller error or user error ;p. Was also considering checking the "need something" thread to find out if that's a better way to source controllers.

Some Atari 2600 games require you to press the "Reset" switch to start. Maybe try that, not sure.

Edited by Gibstov

5 hours ago, ajlynx said:

Interesting to know, thanks. There's an Atari joystick on eBay for about $26. And actually the 2600 I have right now has 2 controllers, but I'm not sure they work. When I turned on the system I got a picture on screen of a game seeming to happen, but the controllers didn't do anything - not sure whether it was controller error or user error ;p. Was also considering checking the "need something" thread to find out if that's a better way to source controllers.

I am the Need Something guy, in case you don't realize that. I have many joysticks and 1200XLs that are just sitting in boxes in my Barn. I'd like to get them to people that want to use them, like you.

You don't need and won't utilize upgrades or 'modern' technology. No sense paying for them. You tweak the video and re-build the keyboard and you're good to go. I think they have really good re-built joysticks at reasonable prices (DIY), or I may have serviceable Atari sticks in a box somewhere.

A 1200XL, some joysticks, a video cable, and a bunch of cartridges. You're in business!

Bob

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

$26 sounds like a lot for one Atari joystick. They should be like $5 and I see a couple there for that price right now.

But, I second the idea of just trying to press reset on your 2600 to see if the controllers work. You probably just need to actually start a game in order to test them.

Good to know on both counts. I'll try flipping reset and see if it works. If the controllers are good then I'll be able to use them on the 800XL I'll hopefully be acquiring soon too, right?

OK since y'all know waaaaay more than I do, help me make this decision. Here are my top contenders - which should I get?

1) $325 (w/shipping) for 

old Atari 800XL and Atari 1050 disk drive. Comes with all of the cables (power cables, connector cable, video output cable), 2 joysticks, and 3 games! Some really fun classic games: Donkey Kong by Nintendo, Pac-Man by Bally Midway / Namco, and K-razy Shoot-Out by K-Byte. I hooked it up to my HD TV and it is working great (use channel 3 on your TV)

2) $280 for Atari 800XL Computer w/ Rambo 256K & UAV S-Video/RCA Video/Audio, Dual OS +MORE+. NEW keyboard mylar installed and keyboard fully tested (this keyboard is in great working and cosmetic condition). Computer is in excellent working condition and good cosmetic condition (review all photos for item's cosmetic condition). The computer has been thoroughly cleaned inside and out. This computer provides excellent picture quality when using either S-Video or RCA connections. This computer is in excellent working condition. You must use either S-Video connections or RCA connections (Channel 3/4 output does not work). This computer provides very good picture quality on modern LCD TV's with either S-Video or RCA/Composite audio-video inputs. Includes 12ft S-Video cable, 12ft RCA Audio & Video Cable, Atari 800XL Computer with the following upgrades:

Rambo 256K memory.

UAVS-Video/RCA composite Video Mod. 

New keyboard mylar installed.

Dual OS OmniView & Basic with selector switch.

But NO controllers

3) $225-295 (depending on bids v buy it now) for Atari 800XL computer with video, OS, and memory upgrades. This computer has the UAV-D video upgrade. This upgrade bypasses the stock Atari video and provides a sharper image with brighter colors.  The Video output has Luma/Chroma connectors and a Composite video (video or CVBS) output. The computer also has the OmniviewXL/XE  80 column Operating System in addition to the standard Atari XL/XE operating system.  The OS is selected by using the channel select switch in the back of the computer.  The memory has been upgraded from 64K to 256K with the NEWELL 256KXL memory upgrade.  This memory upgrade also has a switch in the back that allows the user to switch from the Atari 130XE memory banking configuration to a configuration that matches the capabilities of the RAMBO and Wiztronics memory upgrades.  With the computer in the Omniview mode and the 130XE mode, the user can utilize a modified version of Atari Writer Plus in the 80 column mode.  Two of the screen shots show  this being utilized. The computer has all systems working.  The motherboard is fully socketed.  The combination of modifications on this computer is extremely rare.  This is only the 3rd computer that I have found that has the Newell upgrade.  This computer comes with a video cable and a HOMEBREW power supply. And again, NO controllers.

So which one would you get in my place? I already bought a Qix cartridge and it should be here by the end of the month ;) so now I need to make sure I'll have something to play it with. I'm intrigued by the SD card to get more games eventually - especially if it'll get me Moon Patrol at a better deal, cause the carts seem to be pricey :p. And since this is a high-end purchase (for me) I'd like whatever I get to work well for a good long while without having to put more money into it (unless I decide to go down the rabbit hole :p). It sounds like controllers are fairly easy to find cheap, so not a deciding factor? Could use some advice on tracking those down too if I go with one that doesn't come w/controllers and the ones I have w/the 2600 turn out not to be working (guess I could go try to test them again - will do that shortly).

all sound pricey to me, but I am partial to newell upgrade/rambo mode... try for 180.00 or less if you must go for it and can't wait... just make your bids in the closing 40 of seconds and make sure you can access your profile on ebay first (so your truly logged in and not frantically trying to so your bid is valid)

I used buy these in the 50.00 to 100.00 range with a bunch of stuff with them (that's with bells and whistles but no uav just super video update) UAV plus install is worth a few... clean up fix whatever is at issue and give them away at CFK (computers for kids)

You can easily pick up an XL sometimes with other stuff in the 80 dollar range give or take and use The Last Word as your 80 column word processor and add a UAV later if you wish

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 minute ago, _The Doctor__ said:

all sound pricey to me, but I am partial to newell upgrade/rambo mode... try for 225.00 if you must go for it and can't wait... just make your bids in the closing 40 of seconds and make sure you can access your profile on ebay first (so your truly logged in and not frantically trying to so your bid is valid)

I used by these in the 50 to 100.00 range with a bunch of stuff with them... clean up fix whatever is at issue and give them away at CFK (computers for kids)

Honestly they all feel pricey to me too, but I'm not seeing anything better ... there's a "tested and working" 800XL w/power cord (nothing else) for $200, but that doesn't feel like a better deal. The Rambo one is non-negotiable - that's the buy it now price and I already tried for a deal and got told it won't go any lower :(. If you know of somewhere cheaper to get what I want I'm all ears.

10 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

all sound pricey to me, but I am partial to newell upgrade/rambo mode... try for 180.00 or less if you must go for it and can't wait... just make your bids in the closing 40 of seconds and make sure you can access your profile on ebay first (so your truly logged in and not frantically trying to so your bid is valid)

I used buy these in the 50.00 to 100.00 range with a bunch of stuff with them (that's with bells and whistles but no uav just super video update) UAV plus install is worth a few... clean up fix whatever is at issue and give them away at CFK (computers for kids)

You can easily pick up an XL sometimes with other stuff in the 80 dollar range give or take and use The Last Word as your 80 column word processor and add a UAV later if you wish

Honestly they all feel pricey to me too, but I'm not seeing anything better ... there's a "tested and working" 800XL w/power cord (nothing else) for $200, but that doesn't feel like a better deal. The Rambo one is non-negotiable - that's the buy it now price and I already tried for a deal and got told it won't go any lower :(. I'll bite - where can I pick up an 800XL in the 80 dollar range?! That would be amazing!

Edited by ajlynx

2 hours ago, ajlynx said:

Honestly they all feel pricey to me too, but I'm not seeing anything better ... there's a "tested and working" 800XL w/power cord (nothing else) for $200, but that doesn't feel like a better deal. The Rambo one is non-negotiable - that's the buy it now price and I already tried for a deal and got told it won't go any lower :(. I'll bite - where can I pick up an 800XL in the 80 dollar range?! That would be amazing!

I can do better than that. Can we go to e-mail?  bob1200xl@att.net

Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2020 at 5:07 PM, ajlynx said:

I've recently decided I want to indulge my nostalgia and play Qix on Atari like I did as a kid. However, I've now realized I have no clue what I'm doing. I figured out what we used to have was an Atari 1200XL and that those are hard to find now. So here are my (doubtless way too basic for this forum) questions:

1) Does the 1200XL use the same controllers as the 800? (because the only 1200XL I found on ebay doesn't have controllers and the controllers I found only say they're for 800)

2) Does the 800 - or 800XL play Qix and Moon Patrol the same way the 1200XL did? If so am I better off just getting an 800 since those seem to be more available?

3) Any other advice or things I should know?

Thanks

3) The 1200XL is a bit of an odd-ball in the Atari line.   The 800XL and XE line will be able to do everything the 1200XL could.   The 800 is a little older and has less RAM, so there are a few games it can't play.

I’d take up @bob1200xl on his offer. It’s a deal you cannot refuse.

@bob1200xl appreciate all you‘re doing for the community and helping brand new unknowns as well... simply incredible thing you do!

messed up earlier message using this iphone6, i dimply don’t know how people use phones like this, the forum is up down and all over the place!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

The Brewing Academy sells complete SDrive-Max devices, these are one of the more flexible storage options available for the Atari 8-bit computers. XL and XE style cases are available, and colors other than black for additional cost.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/atari-sdrive-max

An SIO2PC/USB device is a less expensive option, but it requires a USB connection to a PC/laptop running device emulation software(RespeQT is recommended).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BillC said:

The Brewing Academy sells complete SDrive-Max devices, these are one of the more flexible storage options available for the Atari 8-bit computers. XL and XE style cases are available, and colors other than black for additional cost.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/atari-sdrive-max

An SIO2PC/USB device is a less expensive option, but it requires a USB connection to a PC/laptop running device emulation software(RespeQT is recommended).

As someone that has recently got back into Atari 8-bit ,I can't recommend the Sdrive-Max enough.  It's not hard to use and you can find whatever you want to put on it on the interwebs.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kraddude said:

As someone that has recently got back into Atari 8-bit ,I can't recommend the Sdrive-Max enough.  It's not hard to use and you can find whatever you want to put on it on the interwebs.

I don't have one myself, already have 2 SDrive Nuxx/2 SIDE cartridges/2 IDE Plus 2.0 as well as quite a few 1050/XF551 drives, but it's what I would buy now if I was looking for another storage device.

• 4 months later...