Jump to content
doctor_x

GCP/Games Computers Play Box/Docs?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone happen to have the original GCP starter kit - or even any of the original advertising blurbs that came out at its introduction? I would like to purchase same for my display bookcase. 

 

Any leads would be appreciated. I've had an ebay search running for this (along with many more) for quite some time (years) without a hit.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I still did!  I bought that and was on there back in the day.

 

FYI... atarimania.com has all the .atr disk images.  However, they are kind of mislabeled.  The description for Lords of Space mentions "Missing original disk image!" but this is wrong.

 

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-lords-of-space_3040.html

 

The zip file there actually has images of all 4 original disk sides.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

didn't someone mention trying to set a gcp server up?

i think the last time i started a topic about this it had come up... mad reverse engineering would have to be done but im sure its possible. they did it with AOL and PLATO... I would LOVE to see it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2020 at 6:34 PM, doctor_x said:

Does anyone happen to have the original GCP starter kit - or even any of the original advertising blurbs that came out at its introduction? I would like to purchase same for my display bookcase. 

 

Any leads would be appreciated. I've had an ebay search running for this (along with many more) for quite some time (years) without a hit.

 

Thanks!

 

Hey there, @doctor_x, happened to see your post.

 

The only GCP materials I've come across is what I picked up off EBay a few years back as part of an Atari lot. Didn't even know there were disks (.atrs) available to go-with. 🤡   🤯

 

--Tim

 

GCP manual and tri-fold (2).jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Timothy Kline said:

The only GCP materials I've come across is what I picked up off EBay

Any chance you could scan in that manual?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Timothy Kline said:

 

Hey there, @doctor_x, happened to see your post.

 

The only GCP materials I've come across is what I picked up off EBay a few years back as part of an Atari lot. Didn't even know there were disks (.atrs) available to go-with. 🤡   🤯

 

--Tim

 

GCP manual and tri-fold (2).jpg

I had that same pamphlet... God I drooled over that shit!!! LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, evilmoo said:

Any chance you could scan in that manual?

I'll certainly add it on the list of Atari to-do's, @evilmoo, for when things die down again here on the homefront. Should be a pretty straightforward task. /thinking

 

--Tim

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok... After reading through a good bit of this I see they had an auto-update function? 

 

Possibly a first? I never used the commodore variant or PLATO so I dont know if either one of them had it.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doctor_x said:

Ok... After reading through a good bit of this I see they had an auto-update function? 

 

Possibly a first? I never used the commodore variant or PLATO so I dont know if either one of them had it.... 

It's pretty strange -- what I've disassembled so far looks mostly like processing a variety of display commands, and I don't see much in the way of file transfer code.  Perhaps it's time to take a closer look at START.COM.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, evilmoo said:

It's pretty strange -- what I've disassembled so far looks mostly like processing a variety of display commands, and I don't see much in the way of file transfer code.  Perhaps it's time to take a closer look at START.COM.

 

or, maybe they had stuff listed that was "under construction".... man after reading through that manual I am thoroughly impressed with what they had in - what? 1986?? If nothing else it would be kick ass to reverse it enough to at least get images of the screens for documentation purposes. GCP needs to be remembered! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, doctor_x said:

or, maybe they had stuff listed that was "under construction".... man after reading through that manual I am thoroughly impressed with what they had in - what? 1986?? If nothing else it would be kick ass to reverse it enough to at least get images of the screens for documentation purposes. GCP needs to be remembered! :)

It certainly seemed like a Prodigy before Prodigy.  I wonder if I can get the client to dial an IP address if I run it in Altirra...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see this up and running in some form again, I dreamed of having this service back in the day and playing the games.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been collecting a lot of individual scans for a new set of 8bit Databases (https://intotheverticalblank.com/atari-8bit-magazine-review-database/)  (Mag reviews, programming tutorials from Analog, etc), and I came across 2 GCP things that are attached. One is the advertisement, and one is a review. 


 

Games Computers Play (GCP Network) Ad Full Color.pdf Games-Computers-Play-GCP-Review-Analog-Issue-37.pdf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...