IGNORED

Next Season Game Suggestions

Cyn, can we get a list of the still available games?

Sure thing.  Below is the list of unused games from the just finished season.  I don't want to bother carrying forward games selected by absentees so I will only carry forward the selections of players who had a participation rate of at least 60% in the last season.  These players are highlighted in green below.  

Of course, anybody is welcome to contribute all new suggestions for the upcoming season.

Note, this list is just a starting point; there is no need to stick to it.  If you would prefer to overwrite any of these selections, feel free; however, we will once again be limiting the selections to 5 games per player.    

Submissions will be accepted all season, but if you want to ensure you get in on the ground floor, please get the submissions in by Sunday, May 10.

Name

Selected By

Venture

AtariWarlord

Astro Blaster

AtariWarlord

Eggs

Cynicaster

Block Hole

Cynicaster

Twin Cobra

Floyd Turbo

Renegade

hero2billions

Captain America and the Avengers

hero2billions

Mr. Do's Castle

Mangia-Boy

Time Pilot

Mangia-Boy

Jump Bug

patbb

Jr. Pac-Man

patbb

Rescue

Ramses

Qix

S.BAZ

Rod Land

S.BAZ

Star Castle

S.BAZ

Defender

youxia

Armored Warriors

youxia

Joust

zoyous

Ninja Spirit

zoyous

DoDonPachi

MAME Offender

Defender

MAME Offender

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, hero2billions said:

Cynicaster

Would you consider sports games?

Any scoring method you choose  (total points, margin of victory, etc.)

I'm inclined to steer clear of sports games because I need a traditional "score" for the standings calculations.  

In general, the criteria for accepting a suggestion are as follows:

- the game is emulated reasonably well in the "official" MAME version of this competition (v139).  It's very unlikely that this rule will affect anything.

- the game plays properly in a single-player mode

- the game has a scoring system that can be used to compare performance among participants

- the game can be played more or less as originally intended using nothing more than a single joystick and/or buttons.  To illustrate what "more or less as originally intended" means: we can play a game like Satan's Hollow or Gorf with generic sticks and buttons even though the original joysticks are physically quite different from generic ones, but games that originally used trackballs, spinners, steering wheels, analog flight sticks, yokes, etc. are not eligible, even though MAME provides ways of faking these games with joysticks

- the game was not played in the latest season

If you have a sports game that meets these criteria, then we can use it.  

Edited by Cynicaster

MO's 5:

1.  DoDonPachi - the best vertical shooter in the world...

2.  Defender - a must have for the hard core gamers.

3.  Eyes - maze game

4.  Bomb Jack - memory game

5.  Black Widow - a high octane action game for the vector fans....

Looking forward to another season with all you fine gaming fanatics!

MO

11 hours ago, M.A.M.E Offender said:

Oh agreed.  The gameplay, the decent 3d style graphics.  There are a handful of strategies you can use on ol Moonwalker:

I am in for MJM!!!

Is that sarcasm? If not I would love to hear them, I've recently developed a mild obsession with the game

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 1:06 AM, AtariWarlord said:

Not sure if I'm too late, but I'd like to suggest Colony 7 and second zoyous' vote for Joust and Mangia-Boy's request for Time Pilot.

No, not too late.  Hopefully this week I can lay out the plans for continuing the competition. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Floyd Turbo said:

Star Force

S.S. Mission

Jackal

Wonder Boy

I previewed S.S. Mission and Wonder Boy on Internet Archive (the other two weren't available). Not looking forward to S.S. Mission (I'm awful at vertically-scrolling shooters) but Wonder Boy is a BLAST. I've been trying to remember the name of that game for decades since I played it on the SMS and now I know. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 5:03 AM, youxia said:

Ahh, Renegade! Wonderful idea. Many people hate this game but it's quite awesome.

Alien vs Predator

Bubble Bobble

Armed Police Batrider

64th Street

Out Run

Boogie Wings

How could anyone dislike renegade? It looks great, has great baddies, superb level design and helped start the beat em up genre