IGNORED

Help... to complete an atari 2600 box (1976)

MauAnouk2012

Hi all.

Please, I need your precious and competent help to complete this Atari 2600  box (1976) correctly.

First of all, is this console correct with this box?

What is missing, which was in this box originally ? . I would obviously like to recover the original things. If any of you have them to sell me even better.

I would like to have for example the original version of the booklet with the original numbers etc. etc. of all that is missing, cardboard divider, leaflet, warranty etc.

Another question, this box, provided the serial number of the console equivalent to the serial number written on the box?

Thanks in advance for your collaboration.

Have a nice day.....and sorry for my bad english?

I attach photos of what I have.

IMG_20200427_122238.thumb.jpg.2f44c9aaae5c7c14371812bc6003c2f4.jpg

IMG_20200427_122303.thumb.jpg.60f183503c22bc1f51a75bef6830da86.jpg

IMG_20200427_122255.thumb.jpg.703e26a85e8e2e7b3374bfc58060ea4a.jpg

IMG_20200427_122319.thumb.jpg.9459f8f2167d4f8b9a83e97934bc9ac7.jpg

IMG_20200427_122542.thumb.jpg.c2456a53303ec42850e2a483ef95bbab.jpg

IMG_20200427_135535.thumb.jpg.4d7d47e4848162e16f096a70159b2e22.jpg

IMG_20200427_122523.thumb.jpg.4752eb97a083b1f356da0b9215373241.jpg

Edited by MauAnouk2012
  • Like 1

Well, far as I know the 2600 didn't get released to the market until 1977 so '76 seems unlikely? 

Then also as far as I know, the very first released boxes are the ones known to show the Knight Chess piece on them. What you have and are showing is what we call the Light sixer and was released in 1978. But it is likely that the box you have would have been used with the light sixer version of the consoles.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well, far as I know the 2600 didn't get released to the market until 1977 so '76 seems unlikely? 

Then also as far as I know, the very first released boxes are the ones known to show the Knight Chess piece on them. What you have and are showing is what we call the Light sixer and was released in 1978. But it is likely that the box you have would have been used with the light sixer version of the consoles.

Thanks for the reply. I apologize for the date, I wrote badly. It was 1978, the date that I find written on the box in the lower front left.
Ok for the Light version.

6 hours ago, high voltage said:

PAL version 'light sixer' sold in a US heavy sixer box, apparently that happened in Europe, or something like that....

Thanks a lot for the answer.

So if I understand correctly the box contained an Atari VCS CX2600 "Heavy Sixer" / "Sunnyvale" (1977), the first releases practically, but the console instead clearly is a European "light sixer" PAL.

At the level of collecting, then at this point I believe that it makes no sense to try to complete my box with booklets etc.

I have two different things, which have nothing to do with themselves, box and console (always obvious at the correct collection level)

Sorry, But I would have another two question please.

the first ---  Ok the first Heavy Sixster consoles were inserted in the box with the chess symbol, ... but it would be possible that always these heavier consoles, later on, could have been inserted for sale also in these boxes of 1978 like the one I have without the chess symbol? .... Besides that the light versions have been added.

the second  ---  Is it correct to say that the first Heavy Sixer consoles had the most rounded edge of all the following versions? 

arrotondati.thumb.jpg.aaa9ad3b35dbc22fbd7bf46fc973b1e6.jpg

Or have Heavy Sixer versions with less rounded edges been marketed?  basically what i wonder is this, the lighter sixers, all have this kind of less rounded edge?

211216896_menoarrotondati.thumb.jpg.5b2e933d85ac3dab4af9851209312359.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance of these types of Atari 2600 and I hope I managed to make understand what I wanted to say, unfortunately ....I know my English is not good.

Thanks wholeheartedly in advance for your support.

What @high voltage was saying, is that it is very possible that light sixer consoles were sold in boxes that show a heavy sixer on the outside. 

The main differences between the original heavy sixer and light sixer is in the name. The weight of them. The heavy has MUCH thicker plastic on the sides compared to ever other released version of the 2600. You can see this easily in the pictures you provided.

Even weirder, in Germany I purchased a '4-switch woody' in a Vader box. Seller mentioned that's how it was purchased way back. I've mentioned this here on AA, got replies saying, yes, that happened. I guess Atari DE (or whoever) just used what they had available regarding boxing.

ATARI VCS 2600 CONSOLE 'woody' model, shipped in Vader box

Your second question, answer: Yes 

My 'light sixer woody' seen here in one of those remake 'chess piece' boxes.

Atari 2600 VCS Light Sixer woody (incl. full sized repro Chess Piece console Box)

Edited by high voltage

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

What @high voltage was saying, is that it is very possible that light sixer consoles were sold in boxes that show a heavy sixer on the outside. 

The main differences between the original heavy sixer and light sixer is in the name. The weight of them. The heavy has MUCH thicker plastic on the sides compared to ever other released version of the 2600. You can see this easily in the pictures you provided.

1 hour ago, high voltage said:

Even weirder, in Germany I purchased a '4-switch woody' in a Vader box. Seller mentioned that's how it was purchased way back. I've mentioned this here on AA, got replies saying, yes, that happened. I guess Atari DE (or whoever) just used what they had available regarding boxing.

ATARI VCS 2600 CONSOLE 'woody' model, shipped in Vader box

Your second question, answer: Yes 

My 'light sixer woody' seen here in one of those remake 'chess piece' boxes.

Atari 2600 VCS Light Sixer woody (incl. full sized repro Chess Piece console Box)

Really many thanks to you. Cross Bow & High Voltage.

Now it's clear to me about the box and console.

If I have to make a collection, with what I have available, I will have to look for a Heavy Sixer NTSC or an European box.

You are very kind. Thank you very much for your time.

Have a nice day.

Thanks again

Sorry.

I correct one of my sentences from the previous post.

This:

If I have to make a collection, with what I have available, I will have to look for a Heavy Sixer NTSC or an European box.

In:

If I have to make a collection, with what I have available, I will have to look for a Heavy Sixer NTSC ( I think very expensive and difficult ) ,  at NTSC Light Sixer ..... or an European box.?

Bye    Ciao

Edited by MauAnouk2012

• 3 months later...

Attached are pics of my USA light sixer  and 4 switch boxes. Light sixer box still shows the heavy sixer on the cover and sides with the 1978 copyright date.

On the box of my 4 switch, it's a 1980 copyright date but what's interesting is that it's still a "heavy sixer" image just manipulated to look like a four switch model instead of a six switch (edges are still the round thick style of the heavy sixer in the images).

20200825_031609.png

20200825_031557.png

20200825_031515.png

20200825_031504.png

Edited by slacker
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...