• Mario Kart 64
    • Mario Kart Super Circuit
    • Mario Kart Double Dash
    • Mario Kart DS
    • Mario Kart Wii
    • Mario Kart 7
    • Mario Kart 8/Deluxe

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I've only played 3 Mario Kart games (Super, Super Circuit, and DS) so my opinion may be a bit biased.

Mario Kart DS is my favorite one of the 3 I've played, but Double Dash looks fun from the videos I've watched.

• Like 1

I've played them all, and can say confidently that there's no wrong answer. For me, though, it's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch, because it comes with all the Wii U's DLC out of the box. 

The closest thing to a bad Mario Kart game is the slightly-disappointing Double Dash. They needed to get around to retro cups in the GameCube generation. As refined and fun as DD is, it lacks variety. They fixed that with MKWii. 

I feel like for the most part, this is a series where whatever the latest game in it is, that's the best. I haven't played every single one of them but I think I've played about 2/3 of them and that's always held for those ones, at least.

So my favorite is easily Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on Switch. I don't really know why you'd want to go back and play anything else.

The original, but also N64 and GBA are close, GC is nice too.  I detest the DS one with a passion and the Wii release closer behind it.  I know it's unpopular, but the series really has gone downhill once it went online and not exclusively because of that, just the designs in general turned it more into a party game which I am not a fan of.

17 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

I've played them all, and can say confidently that there's no wrong answer. For me, though, it's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch, because it comes with all the Wii U's DLC out of the box. 

The closest thing to a bad Mario Kart game is the slightly-disappointing Double Dash. They needed to get around to retro cups in the GameCube generation. As refined and fun as DD is, it lacks variety. They fixed that with MKWii. 

Except Mario Kart Wii plays like ass... if the karts handled like they did in Double Dash it would have been much better...

I have to say Mario Kart 64 is the best Mario Kart game in my opinion. At the time there was nothing like it, and the multi player go kart arcade style gaming had some major replay value. I know if you beat the game you can get the tracks in reverse, but it was just fun replaying the same levels. I think that's what makes a really good game, being able to replay the same levels over and over again and still having fun each time you play the game.

Edited by Nintendo64

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The original, but also N64 and GBA are close, GC is nice too.  I detest the DS one with a passion and the Wii release closer behind it.  I know it's unpopular, but the series really has gone downhill once it went online and not exclusively because of that, just the designs in general turned it more into a party game which I am not a fan of.

I have to (respectfully) disagree. I think the tracks are more forgiving, you it's not like in Super Circuit where there are some tracks that have ramps that can take you from 1st to 8th. Plus, the tracks in DS are awesome in my opinion, how can you dislike Waluigi Pinball? Also, the drifting is perfect in DS, you actually have some sort of control unlike the SNES and GBA ones.

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I have to (respectfully) disagree. I think the tracks are more forgiving, you it's not like in Super Circuit where there are some tracks that have ramps that can take you from 1st to 8th. Plus, the tracks in DS are awesome in my opinion, how can you dislike Waluigi Pinball? Also, the drifting is perfect in DS, you actually have some sort of control unlike the SNES and GBA ones.

On 4/28/2020 at 2:38 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Except Mario Kart Wii plays like ass... if the karts handled like they did in Double Dash it would have been much better...

I recently played DoubleDash and felt like it was super sluggish, too. I got used to it, but at first it didn't feel right. I'm attributing that to a frame or so of lag between my TV (measured at 14 milliseconds by RTings in Game mode) and the OSSC. 

On 4/28/2020 at 8:40 PM, Magmavision2000 said:

My contempt for the DS game comes for two reasons alone and the first is the big one since I only really like to play offline.

1) 150cc is rigged to screw with you and in a specific way.  I put quite a few attempts into that mode compared to 100cc and I got the same result.  I could get into 2nd place and just get stuck there.  The game would adjust the typical AI behavior into a cheat of sorts.  It would put a specific AI driver depending on which you use in 1st place and like 1-2 seconds ahead, a moderate little gap.  Now normal AI would be to throttle the hell out of the first car, or have the car behind you take a swing to gain a spot.  The game instead has the first place drop stuff but not overly aggressive, but 3 to last they ignore 1st place entirely and just pound the crap out of you, so it turns into a race of the field against you, to lock you into 2nd.  I got fed up with it.

2) Snaking, simply just that.  Something Nintendo was asked in interviews about and said that wasn't in the spirit of the game, not designed to be done by intent and was overlooked.  Yet (and yes I could back then do it fairly reliably) back then people just ruined race after race doing that the entire time finding cheap ways to blast around and cut corners in places even with that excess of speed.  It killed that mode for any form of fun.