IGNORED

Two 1200 XL Keyboards, NOS, on Ebay

Well, "original price" is debatable.  They were on clearance years ago incredibly cheap, but the original price was probably much closer to what's currently being asked.   I've seen at least a few go for $90 individually recently, so $160 for two is actually relatively cheap.  I bet they sell.

Does anyone know during what period Radio Shack was selling all these different keyboards for $5?  Apparently they also had Commodore and other variants:

commodore-replacement-keyboard-sold_1_162216c3c7de4a16d754661b7582f443.jpg

commodore-replacement-keyboard-sold_1_162216c3c7de4a16d754661b7582f4431.jpg

s-l640.jpg

archer-277-1020-computer-keyboard_1_2128c5ff9d6f00188611b711c3f6ddda.jpg

It looks like someone at Radio Shack just made a deal for a ton of old, unwanted keyboards and figured they could squeeze a few bucks out of them. 

I'm not sure what that last keyboard goes to.  The roman numeral keys remind me of the Coleco Adam.

Edited by jamm

2 hours ago, jamm said:

Does anyone know during what period Radio Shack was selling all these different keyboards for $5?  Apparently they also had Commodore and other variants:

I don't know about Radio Shack, but Princess Auto & Farm Machinery in Grande Prairie Alberta had some 1200XL keyboards for C$1.49ea. in the early 90's. 

I bought a few even though I didn't have a 1200XL at the time, it was over 15 years before I got my first.

1200XL-keyboard.jpg

Edited by BillC
  • Like 2

Just add 25 bucks or so for a keyboard membrane from Best....

If you read the Charles Tandy biography you'll find that a lot of Radio Shack's success was based on buying huge lots of stuff and selling them on cheap. Would be interesting to know if they miscalculated with those keyboards, I simply can't imagine so many tinkerers needing keyboards years before the Raspberry Pi came along. 1.49 is a nice price for one, though.

1 hour ago, slx said:

Just add 25 bucks or so for a keyboard membrane from Best....

Try $40 ?

I just did mine a few weeks ago.  The membrane in my 800 keyboard was salvageable, but the 1200XL seemed to tear up like wet papier-mâché.  I just hope the new one lasts a few decades.

Edited by jamm

Imagine the poor sole when he installs that minty fresh Atari 1200XL keyboard and NOT ONE KEY WORKS!  Haha.  Some can be brought back to life by hitting each key about 50 times each.  Brought mine back from the deal after sitting for 10 years in the closet.

5 hours ago, jamm said:

but the 1200XL seemed to tear up like wet papier-mâché.

The key is to use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the keyboard PCB and membrane as you very gently work it loose. I’ve repaired two of my 1200XL keyboards this way and while I did get a few small tears on each, they weren’t very large and easily laid back into place when the repair was done. 

25 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

The key is to use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the keyboard PCB and membrane as you very gently work it loose. I’ve repaired two of my 1200XL keyboards this way and while I did get a few small tears on each, they weren’t very large and easily laid back into place when the repair was done. 

Oh, believe me - I used a hair dryer in both cases and followed FJC's video above.  The 800 Mylar went very smoothly.  I was extra careful with 1200XL Mylar, but it stuck around the screw holes much more, and despite my best efforts, it still tore in a couple of spots around them.  I'm not saying it was entirely impossible... I just couldn't quite manage it even though my first attempt with the 800 went really well.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't purchased an actual mylar yet but i have two keyboards that have came preinstalled and they are great!

I have myself repaired two keyboards with silver conductive pen as well as drawing up a small nub of solder on the pads that mate to the mylar, to eliminate that wafer spacer.

Cheers!