IGNORED

Jaguar official gamer's guide inserts and dubious manuals

Warmsignal

I have a few questions regarding these - I'm assuming that all official release games originally came with these gamers guide inserts, did they not? I've noticed that a lot of people advertise "CIB" copies of Jag games that lack these inserts and registration cards. So I'm also left wondering, were all of the inserts the same or were there a multitude of variants regarding the list of titles featured on them, or perhaps every different game had a different list on the insert?

So I sort of made a mistake in picking up one of those "re-shrunk" games that are supposedly complete. Now I didn't half expect there would being any inserts included with it (and there wasn't), but I did expect a manual. Which there was, but it turns out it wasn't the correct manual - rather than having the game's cover art on the front page it's more like a plain text similar to a Telegames, except it's an Atari published title. They skimped out on the cover page, but the inside of the manual has full graphics and screen shots like a normal manual. I'm confused as to why this variant of the manual even exists, or if it's technically legit or not. Anyone know what is the deal with these variant manuals?

After these findings, I've decided against buying any more re-shrunk copies for the collection. I guess I don't absolutely need to have the inserts, but an original manual I do want. Now I have to go track one down separately because in my mind, this one just won't do. Ironically they offer the correct manuals for separate purchase, but it's not what you get with the purchase of the "complete" game. I guess if you really want complete copies, you have to keep your eyes peeled, or buy brand new.

Does anyone know if Best's "boxed" games have the correct, original manuals or should I avoid? He doesn't specify whether his copies are new or re-shrunk.

Edited by Warmsignal

As far as I know Best games are all nos. I haven't bought Jaguar games but all of the Lynx and Atari 8-bit games I bought have the original correct manuals. On a few games I suspect he puts them together from parts though. One time I bought Final Legacy for the 8-bit and It had his warranty seal and the supposed not released international version of them game with symbols.  http://www.atariprotos.com/8bit/software/finallegacy/finallegacy.htm

Edited by 7800 2

On 5/9/2020 at 8:40 AM, Warmsignal said:

I have a few questions regarding these - I'm assuming that all official release games originally came with these gamers guide inserts, did they not? I've noticed that a lot of people advertise "CIB" copies of Jag games that lack these inserts and registration cards. So I'm also left wondering, were all of the inserts the same or were there a multitude of variants regarding the list of titles featured on them, or perhaps every different game had a different list on the insert?

So I sort of made a mistake in picking up one of those "re-shrunk" games that are supposedly complete. Now I didn't half expect there would being any inserts included with it (and there wasn't), but I did expect a manual. Which there was, but it turns out it wasn't the correct manual - rather than having the game's cover art on the front page it's more like a plain text similar to a Telegames, except it's an Atari published title. They skimped out on the cover page, but the inside of the manual has full graphics and screen shots like a normal manual. I'm confused as to why this variant of the manual even exists, or if it's technically legit or not. Anyone know what is the deal with these variant manuals?

After these findings, I've decided against buying any more re-shrunk copies for the collection. I guess I don't absolutely need to have the inserts, but an original manual I do want. Now I have to go track one down separately because in my mind, this one just won't do. Ironically they offer the correct manuals for separate purchase, but it's not what you get with the purchase of the "complete" game. I guess if you really want complete copies, you have to keep your eyes peeled, or buy brand new.

Does anyone know if Best's "boxed" games have the correct, original manuals or should I avoid? He doesn't specify whether his copies are new or re-shrunk.

Which game was it that you bought?

I've bought new Jaguar games in the past, but I doubt that every copy had a registration cart and/or gamer's guide-flyer included.

8 hours ago, Isgoed said:

Which game was it that you bought?

I've bought new Jaguar games in the past, but I doubt that every copy had a registration cart and/or gamer's guide-flyer included.

Don't laugh at me, it was Club Drive. Not new, but "re-shrunk" from MyAtari. The manual is just a white cover that says "Club Drive - instruction manual for the 64-bit multimedia entertainment system". My theory is the manual they paired with it was from a stock-pile intended to be replacements for customers calling into Atari over lost booklets. It's definitely of the same material and print quality as the original. However, guess they figured they could cut printing costs down if the replacements used less black ink? Yeesh. Gotta save every last penny.

The collector in me just doesn't like these pieced together ensembles, particularly when they lack any of the uniform OEM parts... but whadya gonna do.