Jump to content
LordKraken

What new sport game would you love to play?

Recommended Posts

So I'd like to start a little discussion around sport games on the lynx. One of the objective is to check whether there is a strong interest for a new sport game on the lynx, and if yes, what sport should it be.

 

For a bit of context, I've been working as a video game programmer for over a decade now but because Im truly passionate about video games, and I miss the good old day, I love to create 8bits game in my spare time. And I have been thinking about programming a sport game for years now!!

 

I think we can all agree that the lynx doesnt really shine when it comes to sport games. If you exclude racing games, there is just Hockey imo that is state of the art. Malibu bikini, jc tennis and basketbrawl are ok and... thats it! (if you disagree I'd like to hear your opinion ;))

 

And surprisingly homebrew games rarely tackle this genre...

 

Anyway, if i were to start programming a sport game, what sport should that be?

 

Football?

Soccer?

Hockey?

Track'n field?

Basketball?

Baseball?

Curling? (Just kidding here)

Tennis?

Futuristic sport (speedball anyone?)

Something else?

 

You can also give me references to sport games on other 8bits hardware that deserve a port on the Lynx.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tennis would be my first choice (Final Match Tennis is the best one from that era), or a Kick Off like, but I'm too old for the speed of gameplay.

One day, I'd like to make a Skateball clone (the one from UbiSoft/Epyx). We spent so many hours playing it with my cousin (even more than Speedball, because a team was only 2 players, no place for a dumb AI) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

So I'd like to start a little discussion around sport games on the lynx. One of the objective is to check whether there is a strong interest for a new sport game on the lynx, and if yes, what sport should it be.

 

For a bit of context, I've been working as a video game programmer for over a decade now but because Im truly passionate about video games, and I miss the good old day, I love to create 8bits game in my spare time. And I have been thinking about programming a sport game for years now!!

 

I think we can all agree that the lynx doesnt really shine when it comes to sport games. If you exclude racing games, there is just Hockey imo that is state of the art. Malibu bikini, jc tennis and basketbrawl are ok and... thats it! (if you disagree I'd like to hear your opinion ;))

 

And surprisingly homebrew games rarely tackle this genre...

 

Anyway, if i were to start programming a sport game, what sport should that be?

 

Football?

Soccer?

Hockey?

Track'n field?

Basketball?

Baseball?

Curling? (Just kidding here)

Tennis?

Futuristic sport (speedball anyone?)

Something else?

 

You can also give me references to sport games on other 8bits hardware that deserve a port on the Lynx.

Tennis! Something like Super Tennis or Final Match. Jimmy Commors was ouch! on Lynx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LordKraken said:

So I'd like to start a little discussion around sport games on the lynx. One of the objective is to check whether there is a strong interest for a new sport game on the lynx, and if yes, what sport should it be.

 

For a bit of context, I've been working as a video game programmer for over a decade now but because Im truly passionate about video games, and I miss the good old day, I love to create 8bits game in my spare time. And I have been thinking about programming a sport game for years now!!

 

I think we can all agree that the lynx doesnt really shine when it comes to sport games. If you exclude racing games, there is just Hockey imo that is state of the art. Malibu bikini, jc tennis and basketbrawl are ok and... thats it! (if you disagree I'd like to hear your opinion ;))

 

And surprisingly homebrew games rarely tackle this genre...

 

Anyway, if i were to start programming a sport game, what sport should that be?

 

Football?

Soccer?

Hockey?

Track'n field?

Basketball?

Baseball?

Curling? (Just kidding here)

Tennis?

Futuristic sport (speedball anyone?)

Something else?

 

You can also give me references to sport games on other 8bits hardware that deserve a port on the Lynx.

You can't leave Alpine Games out of the conversation. The Snowboard Rush minigame is still, graphically, one of the most impressive things I've seen on the Lynx.

 

Baseball is already over-represented on the Lynx. Relief Pitcher is pretty good, too. I don't think we need more titles in the genre.

 

Futuristic? Really? Exhibit A: Hyperdrome, Basketbrawl, Tournament Cyberball. Triple ugh. Wait, maybe that means we actually do need a playable title in this genre!

 

I say Summer Games 2021, with some type of track, diving, and trampoline events. I always loved making my player go splat in Epyx's A8 port, so make sure you can do a belly flop off the high boards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LordKraken said:

if I were to start programming a sport game, what sport should that be?

 

My vote goes to either blernsball or bouillabaseball.

 

Edited by DeathAdderSF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't play any sports games aside from racing, or tongue-in-cheek titles like Basketbrawl or NBA Jam.  I've put less than one hour combined into NFL Football, Awesome Golf, Baseball Heroes, Malibu Bikini Volleyball, European Soccer, Hockey, Jimmy Connor, World Class Fussball, and Tournament Cyberball.

 

I absolutely don't want to dissuade anyone from any creative Lynx project - just saying the interest isn't there for me.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LordKraken said:

I think we can all agree that the lynx doesnt really shine when it comes to sport games. If you exclude racing games...

I never thought the lynx was lacking sports games.  It's got Baseball, Football, Cyberball, Golf, Hockey, multiple Soccer games, Volleyball, Tennis, winter olympic games (Alpine Games), and they're all pretty good in my opinion.

 

The one thing I guess it's missing is a basketball game (I love Basketbrawl, but it's more brawl than basketball).  I always wanted to see NBA Jam ported to the Lynx.  Of course it would probably have to go by a different name, but that would be my top vote if we're talking "not racing".

 

I think racing games are pretty slim.  There's Checkered Flag, but there was always something about it that I wasn't quite satisfied with (I do like it, but there's something missing).  There's Road Riot 4WD (which is one of my favorite Lynx games) if you count prototypes.  I'd like to see another racing game, maybe a good off-road racer or ATV game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

I think racing games are pretty slim.  There's Checkered Flag, but there was always something about it that I wasn't quite satisfied with (I do like it, but there's something missing).  There's Road Riot 4WD (which is one of my favorite Lynx games) if you count prototypes.  I'd like to see another racing game, maybe a good off-road racer or ATV game.

Hm, and what about S.T.U.N. RunnerRoadblasters, Championship Rally, and Super Off Road? Even A.P.B. could qualify for its driving elements. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Curling? (Just kidding here)

Well, not long ago @AverageSoftware released RealSports Curling for the Atari 5200 so the idea isn't that far fetched. Also I would assume a bowling game (10th Frame like, or even more modern) might fit the handheld format of the Lynx.

 

As for a futuristic game that hasn't been ported to every man and his dog's system, perhaps have a look at Hypa-Ball (C64, ZX Spectrum) if Speedball seems a little much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one "sport" game I have liked was "Bust A Groove" on PS1. The music was catchy and the game was top-notch. This is one of the few games I actually completed on PS1.

 

hero.1_3osp5scioi6ytngrboqun.thumb.jpg.615d6d569ea70628ed4b6ed0dd49a01e.jpg

 

It was also dual player so I played it against my kids a lot. The scene turned so that the winner was all the time closer to the screen. It was easy to see when you made a mistake compared to the other player.

 

The point of the game was to hit O or X on the "4" in the music. You always had 2 choices. The top is the easier sequence, bottom more complex sequence. Great tunes and super dance moves.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was also with my little brother trying out 3D games at Pixel - a shop where you put on glasses and have two controllers in your hands.

 

This would be really cool on a Lynx as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karri said:

The one "sport" game I have liked was "Bust A Groove" on PS1. The music was catchy and the game was top-notch. This is one of the few games I actually completed on PS1.

 

hero.1_3osp5scioi6ytngrboqun.thumb.jpg.615d6d569ea70628ed4b6ed0dd49a01e.jpg

 

It was also dual player so I played it against my kids a lot. The scene turned so that the winner was all the time closer to the screen. It was easy to see when you made a mistake compared to the other player.

 

The point of the game was to hit O or X on the "4" in the music. You always had 2 choices. The top is the easier sequence, bottom more complex sequence. Great tunes and super dance moves.

This reminds me of the "Space Dance" rhythmic minigame on Yastuna No. 2 -- perhaps that could be expanded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Hm, and what about S.T.U.N. RunnerRoadblasters, Championship Rally, and Super Off Road? Even A.P.B. could qualify for its driving elements. 

 

I don’t consider STUN Runner racing, nor Roadblasters (driving and shooting). Super Off-Road runs at such a low frame rate it’s hardly playable, so I’d toss that one out. Champ Rally is by Songbird, so it doesn’t go in the same category as the official releases. A.P.B. is definitely not racing. I’m talking about either a good racer or off-road game. The Nomad Rally demo shows a lot of promise, so ATV or motorcycle racing would be great. Actually, a motorcycle/dirtbike/ATV game (that combines those) would be awesome.

 

2 hours ago, Jazzoff2000 said:

Boxing would be awesome!!! 😀

I agree. Didn’t even think of boxing. Unfortunately, most boxing games aren’t that fun, unless they’re done in a style like Punch-Out. That style game would be great to have on the Lynx.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, karri said:

I was also with my little brother trying out 3D games at Pixel - a shop where you put on glasses and have two controllers in your hands.

This would be really cool on a Lynx as well.

Rhythm games are a lot of fun when done right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the console is missing a couple of arcade racing games, like the lotus series, or futuristic ones like wipeout/fzero clones (i cant remember any futuristic racing game on handheld device though).

 

I'd prefer to investigate team based game though as it has interesting programming challenges :)

 

I'm surprise nobody mentioned the brutal sport serie :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

Champ Rally is by Songbird, so it doesn’t go in the same category as the official releases.

The thread is not specifically about official releases, and since some unofficial/homebrew releases are high quality, can't see why limit the discussion to games released over 25 years ago.

 

The homebrew community is bringing a new life to this console so deserve high respect and consideration IMHO. 

 

8 hours ago, carlsson said:

Also I would assume a bowling game (10th Frame like, or even more modern) might fit the handheld format of the Lynx

OCEO has an early prototype of a bowling game. It was discarded as an entry for the last year coding competition for lack of time, Lawnmower was a much faster project. If the Lynx coding competition would not have been "Future", maybe we could have finished it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football (not hand-egg :grin: ) or Ice Hockey with big cartoon players and with fewer players than in real football/hockey, something inspired by Nintendo World Cup or Nintendo Hockey. I think almost any game theoretically could be made on the Lynx despite it's low resolution, but team sport games becomes cluttered super easily. Perhaps one of the few strengths of basketbrawl is they realised using not that many players and to use big player characters.

A simple football manager game could be pretty awesome too.

Ah, speedball 2, all the hours I played that with my friends. You can tell the game is super polished.

@karri I used to love Bust a Groove on PS1 :) :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nop90 said:

The thread is not specifically about official releases, and since some unofficial/homebrew releases are high quality, can't see why limit the discussion to games released over 25 years ago.

The homebrew community is bringing a new life to this console so deserve high respect and consideration IMHO.

  No disrespect to Songbird.  I bought all his games as soon as they were released and have bought additional copies over the years.  Just categorizing, so for me, those are in a different category.  Road Riot 4WD is one of my favorite Lynx games, but I categorize it separately too.  Even counting Champ Rally, that gives us a behind the car racer (Checkered Flag) and a top-down racer (for what I count as racing games unless we count RR4WD).  I still would love to see more racer variety since this is one my favorite genres.  I stand by my earlier post that a motorcycle/dirtbike/ATV racer would be awesome.

 

1 hour ago, Nop90 said:

OCEO has an early prototype of a bowling game. It was discarded as an entry for the last year coding competition for lack of time, Lawnmower was a much faster project. If the Lynx coding competition would not have been "Future", maybe we could have finished it.

That sounds awesome.  Another "sport" genre I didn't think of.  I hope we still see if finished at some point.  BTW, your Lawnmower game is one of the best and could be considered better than many of the commercial releases.  Same goes for most of the competition entries last year.

 

Seems I may be alone in my desire for a different type of racing game, but there have been some good ideas put forward, my favorites being Boxing (if done in a fun way like Punch-Out), Bowling, and Basketball (in the gameplay style of NBA Jam).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a real answer, I'd love a port of Super Dodgeball or something very similar to a goofy, fun Dodgeball game.

 

Alternately, I'd agree that a more "genuine" basketball game would be a blast!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit that I absolutely enjoy springboard diving games. I played one in the early 90s on my game gear. I just cant find it as it was a multi game cart which was bought by a friend in thailand.

Anyways, it had simple graphics but was tough and so addictive.😂

Edited by dberlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...