IGNORED

Best Jaguar Homebrew Games 1995-2015

Rick Dangerous

2 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Not a big fan of open world games myself, but Persona 4 is a JRPG and those were always very lenghty games, back to the classic days of Final Fantasy on 8bit and 16 bit machines. The typical action modern adventure game like Tomb Raider is mostly like 8-15 hours.

I don't begrudge the time spent on Persona 4 Golden at all, which deserved every accolade it got. That was just such a commitment, though, and I just can't fathom how people can buy two or three games a week and actually get through them all. I have an hour or so of gaming time once every couple of days, and that's plenty with the other obligations that come with middle-aged life.

What I really need is a good source of well-reasoned reviews of modern games which would help me to separate the wheat from the chaff and let me pick that eight-to-fifteen hour adventure without wasting a lot of time. And that would be a well-written and concise one-page typed review -- and not a half-hour slog watching someone play the game on Twitch.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I don't begrudge the time spent on Persona 4 Golden at all, which deserved every accolade it got. That was just such a commitment, though, and I just can't fathom how people can buy two or three games a week and actually get through them all. I have an hour or so of gaming time once every couple of days, and that's plenty with the other obligations that come with middle-aged life.

What I really need is a good source of well-reasoned reviews of modern games which would help me to separate the wheat from the chaff and let me pick that eight-to-fifteen hour adventure without wasting a lot of time. And that would be a well-written and concise one-page typed review -- and not a half-hour slog watching someone play the game on Twitch.

There is no shortage of good coverage on any game you might be interested in.  Usually most story driven action/adventure/FPS games are 8-12 hours. I prefer arcade styled action games and there is plenty of them, I have like 20+ on my PS4 harddrive.

Edited by agradeneu

On 5/11/2020 at 12:45 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

-Impulse X

-Protector/SE

There have been a LOT of really great games to come out. I really like the Atari ST converts that are being done right now... but I wanted to quote those two games as they are two of the ones that have really stood out to me in the past few years.

• 4 months later...
47 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

Wasn't Battle Sphere a homebrew?  Clearly I must be mistaken here, as it surely would've been mentioned by now.  I thought it was made by just a handful of fans, as impressive as it is.

BattleSphere was in development during the Jaguar's life span. If I recall correctly, Scott complained about Atari's help or lack thereof. After Atari pulled the plug on the Jaguar, 4 Play or Scatologic, as they later called themselves, refused to quit on the project. Eventually the game was released in 2000 or 1999. So it's hard to say if it qualifies as a home-brew. But I would understand the argument...

8 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

Wasn't Battle Sphere a homebrew?  Clearly I must be mistaken here, as it surely would've been mentioned by now.  I thought it was made by just a handful of fans, as impressive as it is.

Two people did all the coding, and a third did the music.  I don't believe any help was given from Atari.  I consider it a homebrew, although it was planned to be an officially licensed release during the Jag's initial 1st run.  It's always been tough to determine just how to categorize this one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 5:57 PM, tripled79 said:

BattleSphere was in development during the Jaguar's life span. If I recall correctly, Scott complained about Atari's help or lack thereof. After Atari pulled the plug on the Jaguar, 4 Play or Scatologic, as they later called themselves, refused to quit on the project. Eventually the game was released in 2000 or 1999. So it's hard to say if it qualifies as a home-brew. But I would understand the argument...

I would consider Battlesphere has a indi-game. 

For the homebrew games I would say Impulse X and Clicks! and Painter would be the best homebrew games for me but I did not   play all the one I have. Ialso had fun with JagMind.

5 hours ago, ARETHIUS said:

I would consider Battlesphere has a indi-game. 

For the homebrew games I would say Impulse X and Clicks! and Painter would be the best homebrew games for me but I did not   play all the one I have. Ialso had fun with JagMind.

I just started playing Clicks thanks to the Early Years CD collection. It's addictive for sure. I like making big groups of blocks disappear so I can get loud cheers!

Clear choice: Superfly DX. Incredible addicting gameplay, spot on "controls" funny style and great music

Rebooteroids is also an incredibly polished game.

I'd say especially rebooteroids is the most professional designed homebrew game on the jaguar.

I'd also mention escape 2042 but that one came later then 2015.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CD-i said:

Clear choice: Superfly DX. Incredible addicting gameplay, spot on "controls" funny style and great music

Rebooteroids is also an incredibly polished game.

I'd say especially rebooteroids is the most professional designed homebrew game on the jaguar.

I'd also mention escape 2042 but that one came later then 2015.

I missed out on Superfly DX...

• 1 year later...