IGNORED

Where do I start?

digitalman

HI, I came across a TI-99/4a in a pile of other computer stuff I picked up.  I know nothing about these things.  

All I have is the console, power supply, and RF converter.

First question I have, are the Commodore 64 5 pin video cables compatible with the TI-99/4a video port?  Because right now I am just getting a blank screen.  

Thanks!

Blank as in black? If it's light blue, try powering the TI off then back on. If it sat there while on for several minutes the screen blanks to light blue as a rudimentary screen saver. Touching a key might show a menu or cursor. Without a cartridge the only menu choice is TI Basic.

Restarting would show the TI color bars and logo. Press any key to get to the menu. If you don't have that and no sound, there may be a problem with the console or power supply.

How about sound? When working, you hear a beep as you press a key. If it's just constant noise, it points to a problem in the console.

-Ed

Which console do you have?  If the black and silver one, is the power led coming on?  It's right next to the switch at the front right corner of the machine.  If the beige console, I don't think it has a power led so it could be harder to tell if the console is actually getting power.