mozzwald

#FujiNet Hardware Discussion

40 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello mozzwald

Just so I understand correctly: We take out the 1030 PCB and the front panel and replace it with your 1030 FujiNet PCB and a new front panel?

Sincerely

Mathy

You would replace the 1030 pcb with the FujiNet pcb. Then you would drill holes in the original front panel to fit the new buttons and sd card slot. A 3d printed template/jig would be used to properly align the holes to be drilled.

It's probably possible to design a replacement from panel. Not sure how easy it would be to print it or how good it would look

Hallo mozzwald

The idea of cutting a hole in the front panel of the 1030 gives me goosebumps.  If it would a 1010, no problem, these can easily be found, or a 1027 that would need some serious TLC, no problem.  But a 1030?

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

Hello Thom

Maybe on your side of the Atlantic, but not on mine.

Sincerely

Mathy

35 minutes ago, Mathy said:

The idea of cutting a hole in the front panel of the 1030 gives me goosebumps.  If it would a 1010, no problem, these can easily be found, or a 1027 that would need some serious TLC, no problem.  But a 1030?

To me, a modem is a completely pointless device now. What am I supposed to do with it? Look at it? I have not had a real landline in over 15 years. It makes more sense to re-purpose it into something useful.

6 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

To me, a modem is a completely pointless device now. What am I supposed to do with it? Look at it? I have not had a real landline in over 15 years. It makes more sense to re-purpose it into something useful.

"Look at it" is indeed a valid answer for more than a few people in this community, and I understand it. But they shouldn't get all heebie-jeebie about wanting to find a way to recycle it into something useful for the machine.

-Thom

XM301s are also plentiful (and still $19.95 NOS at Best).    Don't believe all of them have been converted to SDrives yet...

Hallo David

39 minutes ago, David_P said:

XM301s are also plentiful (and still $19.95 NOS at Best).    Don't believe all of them have been converted to SDrives yet...

And they're a lot smaller.  BTW, the HPC-301 came from the same mould.  IIRC Best is still selling them too.

Sincerely

Mathy

why not just 3D print the cases as per usual, they are way cooler and match up folks stuff nicely

as for who uses modems? there are places that still only have POTS, no cable modem, no dsl, no fiber, nada, and cell service is a dream not yet in the realm of of possibility...