IGNORED

Games, doodles and demos

Muddyfunster

Rather than make a bunch of threads for the stuff I've been working on the the 7800, I thought it might be easier to just centralise them here. I'll add any new stuff here too.

Much of the stuff I will share is created for my own amusement or learning and may or may not end up as a game! (be warned!)

I've been doing a lot of experimenting with 7800Basic these last few weeks (Big thanks to @RevEng @mksmithand the guys who've helped and advised). I've started a few little projects, some are just experiments like Sonic Runner, some are much more complete like Danger Zone and some are shaping up nicely as I learn more, like Project Exo. I find having a bunch of projects means I don't get bored if I hit a roadblock like I did recently with Exo and getting stuck on walls etc., I can just do something else interesting until I figure it out :).

Anyway, here is a bit of an update on them all, when things get a bit more along, I'll post some roms for testing and feedback.

Comments, suggestions & feedback always appreciated, (as are volunteers to do some tunes - I truly suck at music and SFX!) :

Older Doodles :

Lemmings Squidginator

Doodle - Chaos Engine ST Characters

Doodle - Ikari Warriors & Gods

SoTB Title

SoTB Tech Demo

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Looks great Muddy! Love the scrolling stuff - really impressive how you've picked it up so quickly.  Project Exo looking good too - the 7800 lends itself really well to flick screen games and a cybernoid type game is always welcome! 

Looking forward to following your progress on the 7800! Very kind for the shout-out too!

• Like 7

It looks like the 7800 is a good platform for your impressive graphical talents. I'm quite excited to see how these develop!

I particularly like the idea of the enhanced Combat using the same "formula".  One can imagine it being a 7800 pack-in game in an alternate universe.  ? 

• Like 6

Never thought I would say, I'm excited to see 7800 games being developed that look Muddy.

Impressive stuff!

In case you haven't seen the video, and you've read this far...no one has mentioned...

TRACK & FIELD

It's a part of the MuddyVision development (Now go watch the video if you haven't). 

Did I mention, impressive stuff?

• Like 5

Wow!! Track and Field and Project Exo I would love to be able to play those games!!

Please continue to develop for the 7800!

Like others have said it is a knockout seeing this video! Great work!!

?

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 3

Thanks for the feedback and enthusiasm guys :)

18 hours ago, RevEng said:

My jaw was wide open for most of the video. I would have been impressed by any one of those WIPs, but just floored by the group of them. It's such a good time to be a 7800 homebrew fan. ?

Thanks for the mention!

Thanks @RevEng, @Trebor & everyone else for the kind words, appreciated :)

15 hours ago, mksmith said:

Looks great Muddy! Love the scrolling stuff - really impressive how you've picked it up so quickly.  Project Exo looking good too - the 7800 lends itself really well to flick screen games and a cybernoid type game is always welcome! 

Looking forward to following your progress on the 7800! Very kind for the shout-out too!

Thanks @mksmith, 7800Basic being structurally similar to Bb really helped (as did all the folks patiently answering my questions !). I totally agree about the 7800 and flick screen games. As soon as I got to grips with that aspect and working with tile sets, I knew I had to try a Cybernoid style game. (and I really like the idea of Exolon too..). I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go "bank switched" so that's my next learning challenge :).

14 hours ago, Karl G said:

It looks like the 7800 is a good platform for your impressive graphical talents. I'm quite excited to see how these develop!

I particularly like the idea of the enhanced Combat using the same "formula".  One can imagine it being a 7800 pack-in game in an alternate universe.  ? 

Thanks @Karl G I love the extra flexibility but know that I still have to balance that within the constraints of the system, so I can't go too crazy, it's a nice challenge. 

• Like 4

The EXO Project title has me thinking just how awesome a game based on the original SDF Macross TV series (or even the DYRL movie) could be on the 7800...  :grin:

The Track and Field and Sonic demos are also very impressive, I wasn't sure that the 7800 was capable of pushing graphics in this manner and generating such fluid animation.  :cool:  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

21 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

By the way, just how did you pull off the parallax scrolling in Track & Field and Sonic Runner? (Unless you plan on keeping that a secret, in that case, never mind.)

Sonic Runner is cheap parallax, the cloud just scrolls at a fixed rate slower than the main action in the forground and gives the impression.

Track and Field is a bit more complex and uses sprites for the playfield and the two layers are independently controlled with timing variables controlled by a speed variable. Sonic uses a similar technique but only moves 1 layer - T&F has the two layers. I tried with 3 like the arcade version but had some issues. I can get around them by faking the third layer (the country flags and other background objects).

• Like 4

Spent a bit of time on Danger Zone at the weekend working on the shooting code but also on Project EXO.

I decided that I wanted to change up the blue tiles from the video and made a few new variants, new tiles, new palettes. Game engine is also coming along, rocket hazards are in and working nicely, exposions are in and working, blocking aliens in and working, about half of level one is built. Cannon fodder to shoot is probably next to go in along with crawlers and a few other trap and puzzle types.

Anyway, here's a couple of new screens. Level 1 is almost fully designed, around 20 screens and is around half built. Probably going to pause new content for Exo while I figure out how to bank switch it.

image.thumb.png.1d57176a6bb203d80388d9a5638967db.png

image.thumb.png.c70b070e8a5dd3ffa9f28887c26712ef.png

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 8

57 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Spent a bit of time on Danger Zone at the weekend working on the shooting code but also on Project EXO.

I decided that I wanted to change up the blue tiles from the video and made a few new variants, new tiles, new palettes. Game engine is also coming along, rocket hazards are in and working nicely, exposions are in and working, blocking aliens in and working, about half of level one is built. Cannon fodder to shoot is probably next to go in along with crawlers and a few other trap and puzzle types.

Anyway, here's a couple of new screens. Level 1 is almost fully designed, around 20 screens and is around half built. Probably going to pause new content for Exo while I figure out how to bank switch it.

image.thumb.png.1d57176a6bb203d80388d9a5638967db.png

image.thumb.png.c70b070e8a5dd3ffa9f28887c26712ef.png

Looks great Muddy - contact me if you need a hand with the bank-switching. Millie and Molly is configured across various banks ?

• Like 2