IGNORED

Games, doodles and demos

Muddyfunster

1 hour ago, bhall408 said:

If 7800 BASIC supports all 3 chips, should be possible to at least code something up to prove it can be done. Actually finding a good use for 14 channels is another matter though!

Related, if 7800 BASIC supports the YM, it would be useful to know if it supports runtime/dynamic stereo panning of same.

Keep in mind ... It is possible to stack together 2, 3, or even all 4 POKEY voices for extra effects.  I did a double POKEY music demo based on Metroid that does exactly this effect on the first POKEY to get a C64 SID type swirling effect.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bhall408 said:

OK, that isn't too surprising. However one last thought? Would it be possible to set the panning anyway?

Pretty much every feature and decision has a real resource cost, and since the 7800 is limited in resources, it's my role to try and spend them wisely in 7800basic. One of those resources is my limited dev time. Even though we're talking about a small amount of rom and cpu, this is a feature that won't be available on real hardware. More importantly, there are things I could be doing with that dev time that would seem to pay better dividends at this time, or at the very least, that are dearer to my heart.

That said, all of the YM support in 7800basic is there via DMF2ASM and it's bundled XMYM assembly tracker. All of the code is open and freely available. If some other dev wants to add YM panning to their basic or assembly project, they're certainly welcome to do so!

• Like 4

On 12/15/2020 at 11:42 AM, RevEng said:

That said, all of the YM support in 7800basic is there via DMF2ASM and it's bundled XMYM assembly tracker. All of the code is open and freely available. If some other dev wants to add YM panning to their basic or assembly project, they're certainly welcome to do so!

Great - this means it is *possiible* and that was what I was hoping to learn. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

While working on E.X.O and finishing off Danger Zone, I needed to have some other "distractions" to tinker with.

I've restarted Track and Field from scratch using what I've learnt while coding Danger Zone and E.X.O. and that project is making some nice progress.

I've also got a few other projects on the back burner. A couple of which I'd like to share a little about. 

I consider these to be tech demo's and tests and not games (yet) (@ZeroPage Homebrew James, I'm looking at you! :) )

Project #6 - tech demo test

Inspired by Walker on the Amiga, uses both gamepad and mouse simultaneously, pad to move the Walker, held so left points "up" (allows the buttons to be used elsewise) and the mouse to move the target reticle. After a bit of faffing around, this control scheme seemed to work really well. I wanted to put this together to really try out the mouse control on the 7800 and I'm really really happy with it. 

As I said, it's a tech demo, I wanted to see if I could get a big sprite (the Walker) moving and a bunch of small sprites going at the same time with some logic for the reticle. Tests were successful :)

Works with both Amiga and ST mice, and Trackball could be added easily enough (thanks @RevEng for adding these to 7800Basic!).

One I'll come back to at some point as I think this could be a fun concept.

Project # 8 tech demo test

I got to thinking would it be possible to convert one of my other favourite games to the 7800 - Motos.

Motos is a a little known Namco arcade game where you push bad guys off the map and collect poweups to add weight to your tank and also jump powerups. I played the hell out of this on holiday when I was a kid and then on my ZX Spectrum and later, C64. The Amstrad CPC version is also pretty good. Great tunes, simple but effective graphics.

Basic playfield test, some collision physics, all just tech testing. I wanted to see if the basics would work ok (playfield sizes etc) and I think it would. 

C64 Version for comparison

image.png.b86dcb4c3b69d8f40fb6d69f1c9a3e58.png

Amstrad Version  for comparison

Motos Screenshots for Amstrad CPC - MobyGames

Project#9

I've also got another project that's actually jumped ahead in terms of how it's coming together. This one I'll share in a few weeks with a demo.

The "project" naming convention is just because I don't have anything else to call them yet.

• Like 7

Both look very promising, and the break from the 'norm' of Project #6 definitely piques my interest, but I have to state I am selfishly and *highly* rooting for Project #8. 

One of the games I knew nothing about until MAME.  It became an Arcade favorite of mine quickly.  An absolute great choice and would love to see Motos come to full fruition on the 7800.

Keep us salivating guessing for Project #9...definitely looking forward to that reveal along with a future showing of the restarted Track & Field.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 2:19 AM, Trebor said:

Both look very promising, and the break from the 'norm' of Project #6 definitely piques my interest, but I have to state I am selfishly and *highly* rooting for Project #8. 

One of the games I knew nothing about until MAME.  It became an Arcade favorite of mine quickly.  An absolute great choice and would love to see Motos come to full fruition on the 7800.

Keep us salivating guessing for Project #9...definitely looking forward to that reveal along with a future showing of the restarted Track & Field.

I didn't keep you guys waiting too long : 

:D  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Here's a testable binary for the Walker Demo.

It doesn't do much, you can move your walker and the walker cross hair.

You need an ST or Amiga mouse for this to work.

Use a 7800 controller in the right port, an ST or Amiga mouse in the left port.

If you are using an ST mouse, set the left difficulty switch to B,

If you are using an Amiga mouse set the left difficulty  switch to A

If you set it wrong then put the switch in the right setting and restart the ROM. will work on A7800 but not sure about other emulators as I don't know if they support mouse as an input. Works fine on Dragonfly, I would expect it to be fine on Concerto too. Pal colours might be slightly wonky as it's set to an NTSC palette.

Move your walker using Up and Down (yep I know that sounds odd but I had the idea that you would have your controller rotated 90 degrees so you could hold it in one hand, mouse in the other, using up down to move the walker and left right to trigger other things.). If this ever became a real game, I'd put options in for different types of control schemes including trackball and folks not using regular game pads.

This is one idea on the back burner for something once I'm done with EXO and Bernie, but right now, it's just a tech demo, no game :)

Anyway, enjoy this doodle.

walkerdemo7.a78

• Like 7

• 6 months later...

A couple of experiments that I recently tinkered with. 

a) Experimental Super Stardust tunnel sequence.

b) A snippet of the famous waterfall picture from the ST made originally in Neochrome.

Both are a bit rough and coarse around the edges really, but served as useful testbeds and proofs of concept. Should work fine under emulation and on Dragonfly, should work on concerto but I don't have the means to test.

SD_Tunnel.a78 Waterfall.a78

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

A couple of experiments that I recently tinkered with. 

a) Experimental Super Stardust tunnel sequence.

b) A snippet of the famous waterfall picture from the ST made originally in Neochrome.

Both are a bit rough and coarse around the edges really, but served as useful testbeds and proofs of concept. Should work fine under emulation and on Dragonfly, should work on concerto but I don't have the means to test.

SD_Tunnel.a78 144.13 kB · 1 download Waterfall.a78 144.13 kB · 1 download

These are pretty cool!  They look better than my phone was able to capture.  Running via Dragonfly. 

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

498114417_MuddyVisionLogo.thumb.png.d27154e0df8c1223a0ea6c4e785d1b39.png

EXCLUSIVE SECRET WORLD PREMIERE

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing the Exclusive Secret World Premiere of Lewis Hill / Muddyfunster's newest Atari 7800 game on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

We will be ALSO be interviewing the incredibly talented developer Lewis Hill about his newest Atari 7800 game! This missing entry in the Atari 7800 library will be missing no longer! Get ready for an extremely faithful port of a much beloved game that almost everyone has played on other systems. Of course it comes with all the sounds and sights you've come to love from Muddyvision releases! Make sure you tune in to find out what the mystery game is!
Can you guess what port it is?

Friday Nov 5, 2021 @ 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT

ZPH Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
  • Exclusive Secret World Premiere (2021 | 7800) by Lewis Hill @Muddyfunster + LIVE Interview!
After Dark:

605978192_20211105-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.d80d72be8c06d015fd158c2ee01dbd7b.jpg
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

...This missing entry in the Atari 7800 library...Get ready for an extremely faithful port of a much beloved game that almost everyone has played on other systems. Of course it comes with all the sounds and sights you've come to love from Muddyvision releases! 

Can you guess what port it is?

"Missing" entry in the Atari 7800 library..  implies to me it exists both on the Atari 2600 and 5200 already.

"Port" that is beloved that almost everyone has played on other systems..  Implies to me an Arcade title and includes systems like ColecoVision and computers; so perhaps an Atarisoft title. 

Eliminating what is already released, what is left and not already shown as a public WIP.. we're down to Moon Patrol or Jungle Hunt.

"Sounds and sights come to love from Muddyvision"..  The running Track 'n' Field demo, Endless Runner demo, I'm thinking second level/round of Jungle Hunt (Moves in the opposite direction of course).

My guess is Jungle Hunt.  :D

Regardless, knowing it is a Muddyvision release, it will be another great one from Lewis no matter what is the game.

P. S.  As I'm typing the above, thinking Zaxxon could fit the bill too.  Then again, maybe it's a 'Non-Arcade' port.. River Raid, Pitfall (II), H.E.R.O., perhaps.  Can't wait for the announcement! :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1