IGNORED

Synfile + on Incognito

Kyle22

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

I know there are still lingering bugs in the Incognito that were never fixed (really minor obscure stuff though),

Well, not exactly "really minor stuff", on Incognito:

1. Floating bus-data on $D013:
    • Basic-XE and a list of other titles (even showing recently) DO NOT work due to thiis significant issue.
    • XL/XE OS itself works by chance:
      • it tests for INEQUALITY between $D013 and its RAM-shadow during cart-equivalence checks, instead of nominal "0" or "1" values. As soon as any SW enforces a strict check of these values, they will hang.
      • OS CANNOT service a warm-reset sequence consistently, as it will get fooled (on-the-fly) with floating bus-data from $D013. How do we know? Well, only thing we need to do is go to SDX prompt and issue "RUN $E474" command, several times, and notice how the OS falls back to a full cold-start along the way.
      • The workaround for above is to force Antic DMA=OFF prior to execution of warm-start routine (mitigates bogus DMA floating-bus data), and it will warm-start consistently through $E474.
  2. Legacy HW incompatibility:
    • Well, if you happen to have HW expansions specifically developed around 800's Slot-3  architecture, there is a HIGH degree of probability that they flat-out won't run on Incognito. In other words, you will have to keep multiple, functionally-disparate 800s on your arsenal just for these.

This is not a full list of issues,, but gives an idea.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm running into this same issue.  The two images provided seem to run fine in an emulator, but lock up on an Incognito equipped 800.  The Incognito  800 is my only Atari, so it's hard to test other hardware combos.

When loading the Disk images through Side, I experience the lockup as soon as I select "open" in the program.

I've dumped both versions to a physical disk and tried to  boot them.  They both boot, the

Synapse_Synfile+ 1.02 image, locks up the same way -- select Open, and it locks.

The Synfile+ -800b.atr, will boot and get further, as long as I have 48k of Ram and the Colleen / OSB machine type selected.  But, I can get it to consistently lock up, when trying to create a new file, it at least attempts lets me select *create* from the file menu, then it load the File Creation program....then locks up.

when some people calm down here, it is enough to understand one thing:

On 5/15/2020 at 1:41 PM, xxl said:

it is not opcodes, but writing to repetitive registers, something that hangs U1mb and probably incognito.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1