IGNORED

800 with strange floppy drive on CL

StickJock

I just saw this 800 with a strange floppy drive on CraigsList.  Comes with Mapping & other goodies for $225.  Located in Pleasonton, CA, USA.

I'm not really interested in it myself, but was curious about the floppy drive.  Does anyone recognize it?

2 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Wouldn't that be a disk drive for the TRS-80? 

There were Percom drives for the Atari, which is what that looks like. Hard to tell without a view of the front and back of the drive to be sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Wouldn't that be a disk drive for the TRS-80? 

Percom also made drives for the Atari 8-bits, they defined the method of configuring different densities on the drives and the "PERCOM Configuration Block" became the standard and was used by many other drive manufacturers.

24 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

I know, it's just that the sleeves you see on the picture clearly say "TRS-80" and the disk drive looks like this: https://bramanswanderings.com/2014/09/25/1982-computer-prices/ 

I didn't notice that on the disk sleeves, there are 2 possibilities:

1) The seller has listed a PERCOM TRS80 drive/software with an Atari 800 bundle.

2) The binder has been repurposed for use with a PERCOM AT88/RFDxx drive and Atari 800.

I would think the second option is more likely, but it could be either.

Edited by BillC

12 hours ago, MrMartian said:

I would, just for the drive so I could develop an Ultraspeed mod for it.. But, shipping from California wouldn't be fun! :)

I'd happily send you my Percom AT88-S1 for you to write an UltraSpeed mod for it. :D But apparently since it uses a non-configurable UART for serial comms unlike most other Atari & 3rd party drives, it is not possible. I think the AT88-S1PD had some hints of 38.4K support in the source, but I'd have to review Phaeron's disassembly comments again.

If you're looking for a new target, it has been noted by various parties that the ATR-8000 should be fully capable of UltraSpeed with new firmware, and even the most basic model has 16KB of RAM which could make for a very useful disk buffer. ;)

• Like 1

Yes, the Percom would need a small hardware mod to go with the software changes. It depends on if people would be willing to do that...??

I've written before about how the ATR8000 would be capable, and I've already started some preliminary work on the ATR8000, but again, not having one.. :)

Edited by MrMartian
More info
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, MrMartian said:

I've written before about how the ATR8000 would be capable, and I've already started some preliminary work on the ATR8000, but again, not having one..

I just dusted off my ATR8000 and all appears to still be in good working order.  Happy to test when you have something.

• Like 1