IGNORED

Alternatives to a disk drive?

Pretty sure UNU Carts and Ultimate Carts are still available from @MacRorie at The Brewing Academy.

That said, you can buy or build something like a SIO2PC-USB device to connect to a modern computer running disk emulation software. You can also build or buy an SDrive-MAX device, which is a touch-screen Arduino-based device that runs special firmware to emulate disk drives and even allows loading of cassette-based .CAS files.

• Like 1

I would second @DrVenkman’s suggestion for The Brewing Academy. It looks like both the UNO and Ultimate Carts are available for sale. 

If you can solder (unlike me), you can build your own device. I have both the Ultimate Cart and an Sdrive-Max. I like the flexibility of dealing with both ATR and executable files. 

Bob C

Edited by darwinmac
Added URL

Yeah, it's an open-source project. All you need is an Uno, a compatible touchscreen, and a half an SIO cable. You can build one yourself in a hour, minus the case. Flash the open-source firmware to the Arduino and you're good to go. You can buy a case from someone who prints them, print one yourself, or just go without. 

Read the beginning of the Thread for Newbies (pinned) for a good discussion of pros and cons of the various categories/devices. It really depends on what you will be doing with your system.  The MyIde-II is an interesting alternative.  It is quite versatile, and still supported by Mr-Atari. But lots of good choices are available.