IGNORED

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Simius

10 hours ago, Philsan said:

I think first post needs to be updated with actual Sophia2 board photo, specs/datasheet and config software.

@Simius you can ask Albert to grant you the right to update first post.

MVIMG_20201224_114357.thumb.png.cecfd45269ef9469a476b6a75b65174a.png

5 hours ago, MrFSL said:

Throw the latest version of the configuration software in there and you will be truly in business!!

Link to configuration software added and Simius tagged.

WOW......That is almost all I can say re the HDMI display....Only on Altirra have I seen a display so crisp and clear..Razor sharp...

I've not ran the config program, I think I read that the Sophia auto sets itself to the machine?

Need to run the config still? (must read its manual...)

Edited by Mclaneinc

You'll have to take it either directly off the composite socket or stereo board if you get one, the DVI itself has no audio connections unlike the HDMI. Easiest to make a 5 pin din to twin phono lead (shorted for mono) and use that as most TV's still have phono connections for inputs.

10 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

You'll have to take it either directly off the composite socket or stereo board if you get one, the DVI itself has no audio connections unlike the HDMI. Easiest to make a 5 pin din to twin phono lead (shorted for mono) and use that as most TV's still have phono connections for inputs.

Yes, but if I'm converting DVI to HDMI for a TV input anyways, I'd rather have a single plug at the far end...

Not all modern TV's allow L/R analog audio inputs to work when it detects HDMI. I know neither of my TV/monitors I use right now allow it. I have the Atari audio going directly to an amplifier and/or self-amplified PC speakers. Which I do anyway, and for decades because no matter how good the sound output on a TV, it's never as good as what I get from separate audio systems. That's why sound bars are so popular these days.

Edited by Gunstar

34 minutes ago, David_P said:

My only wish now is a simple DVI to HDMI adaptor that lets me patch in the audio from either the monitor port (mono) or RCA (if I ever make this machine stereo), so it's a single cable to whatever big screen TV I want to work/play on.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Injector-Encoder-Repeater-Function/dp/B07WDJN4VS

should do the trick

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

DVI itself has no audio connections unlike the HDMI

Some PC/Mac graphics adapter cards with DVI-D use non-standard extensions to output HDMI signals including audio like the ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series, and their DVI-to-HDMI adapters pass that audio. I used one on a Mac for many years to an HDMI display with audio. But for our vintage/retro Atari electronics I suspect we'd still need to convert internal audio to what HDMI wants, so it may be harder than simply wiring up the internal audio to the non-standard DVI pins?

But, I'd guess you might be able to use something that inserted audio to the HDMI like this: StarTech.com DVI to HDMI Video Converter with Audio (~$62-74 USD on Amazon)

3 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

But, I'd guess you might be able to use something that inserted audio to the HDMI like this: StarTech.com DVI to HDMI Video Converter with Audio (~$62-74 USD on Amazon)

Exactly what I'd like, but the price point is a bit high - though someone is selling reconditioned units on eBay for $20... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Startech-DVI-to-HDMI-Video-Convertor-With-Audio-DVI2HDMIA/224053588270?hash=item342aa2712e:g:kWUAAOSwMNhe8CZc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David_P said:

Exactly what I'd like, but the price point is a bit high - though someone is selling reconditioned units on eBay for $20... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Startech-DVI-to-HDMI-Video-Convertor-With-Audio-DVI2HDMIA/224053588270?hash=item342aa2712e:g:kWUAAOSwMNhe8CZc

Snatch that bargain up! It probably originally cost around that much to make.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

Some PC/Mac graphics adapter cards with DVI-D use non-standard extensions to output HDMI signals including audio like the ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series, and their DVI-to-HDMI adapters pass that audio.

I believe the way these passed audio on DVI:

1) Requires a special dongle to convert the signal to hdmi

2) Would remove the ability to have VGA

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrFSL said:

I believe the way these passed audio on DVI:

1) Requires a special dongle to convert the signal to hdmi

2) Would remove the ability to have VGA

It was funny, guy I know worked at Verizon for aome reason and they were all 100% convinced there that DVI could not carry an audio signal.  I showed him my PC connected to my receiver with just a DVI to HDMI cable producing sounds.  Why would it remove the ability to have VGA though?  You wkuld have to carry the audio elsewhere for sure.

1 hour ago, leech said:

It was funny, guy I know worked at Verizon for aome reason and they were all 100% convinced there that DVI could not carry an audio signal.  I showed him my PC connected to my receiver with just a DVI to HDMI cable producing sounds.  Why would it remove the ability to have VGA though?  You wkuld have to carry the audio elsewhere for sure.

image.png.f2a1d8615858b00b1e6c5f669d7e24ea.png

The guy disagreed with you because the DVI spec does not carry Audio. Nvidia and AMD entered into some sort of agreement to do this, but it was never incorporated into the standard. It is my understanding that nvidia repurposed C1-C5 for Audio.

9 minutes ago, svhovater said:

One of the easiest and most impactful mods I've done. 

Is there a way to reduce the black border? (Using dvi out)

thanks!

Try using different resolutions (using the supplied config utility), and also keep in mind, every monitor will be different for what resolutions it will display, and also how it handles scaling and centering.  Another thing to keep in mind, many people forget, don't know, or don't care, but the Atari is old.  It's 4:3 (square), not 16:9 (wide rectangle).

• Like 5

Hello MrFSL

18 hours ago, MrFSL said:

It never occurred to me (and, yes, I have seen the pictures) just how much smaller the Sophia 2 is. (In my 800xl the rev.C lay over top another chip.)

We'd love to see a picture that shows the size difference between the old and the new Sophia.  (and I'm not talking about Sophia Petrillo :grin: )

Sincerely

Mathy

On 12/30/2020 at 9:54 AM, David_P said:

Exactly what I'd like, but the price point is a bit high - though someone is selling reconditioned units on eBay for $20

On 12/30/2020 at 9:57 AM, MrZarniwoop said:

Snatch that bargain up! It probably originally cost around that much to make.

Yes, thank you, I did just that. I will have to let you know how well it works when I get a moment.

image.png.efd44de084c888f09d255da12b267875.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MrFSL said:

I will have to let you know how well it works when I get a moment.

Well. It works and I will attach a short video here to prove it. I did however have a real heck of a time getting it working with my video capture device. I found information on the Amazon site under questions - specifically:

image.thumb.png.dd9e2de2b18af653ec9ef1b65a43b9d1.png

...so in a nutshell I had to un-plug and re-plug the power multiple times for the audio to start working. When connected to a TV set this was not a problem. --- So it works with a bit of messing around.

StarTech.mkv

• Like 1