IGNORED

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Simius

On 2/13/2021 at 3:22 PM, Mclaneinc said:

@Simius A bit OT, have you ever thought about cleaning up a C64's display?

I don't know if you have C64 knowledge or not?

Its just that the C64 needs a similar item..

Never thought. My C64 knowledge is the first degree - I know it exist. :)

• Haha 4

Aha, that exactly what I'm looking for, never heard of it before and I'm deep in the old C64 scene...Thank you very much, you learn something new every day..Now to see if there's a kit for it and if so, how much (dreading that bit)

Edit: 60.00 EU....Not bad, time to save up!

Edited by Mclaneinc

8 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Aha, that exactly what I'm looking for, never heard of it before and I'm deep in the old C64 scene...Thank you very much, you learn something new every day..Now to see if there's a kit for it and if so, how much (dreading that bit)

Edit: 60.00 EU....Not bad, time to save up!

Just be aware that it has component video output(similar to RGB) and not DVI/HDMI digital.

There is also an older analog only upgrade that provides improved chroma/luma/composite signals. It uses a TMS7316 video amplifier/buffer which I believe to be similar to the IC used in the UAV.

https://videogameperfection.com/products/c64-svideo-bypass/

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, CMinus said:

I really want to get one Sophia 2, 800 version ASAP. The only option I have seen is from TBA, which is currently sold out.

You can see me a private message if you wish: bodhilabs@gmail.com. Many thanks.

You need register your interest on the sophia2 sales thread 

I am truly blown away by this mod! My VBXE never worked. My original Sophia-C never worked. My GBS8200 WITH RGB2VGA for XLD worked but always required resetting and it was in PAL color scheme.

I have upgraded a 1200XL to Super Video ver 2 and that was very clean, however this screen is so sharp I might cut my fingers tracing a line on the monitor!

Absolutely BRILLIANT Simius!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to installing my Sophia 2.   

Unfortunately, it didn't really go as planned.  I was expecting it to "just work" so I was surprised when it didn't.

But before I jump to some conclusion that it is a bad unit, let me explain and also ask a few questions I have.

First, I am installing in a 800XL PAL system. 

From the DVI-I connector on the Sophia 2, I connected it to a DVI-I cable (with the 4 extra analog pins on both ends of the DVI-I cable).

Then I connected the cable to this Startech DVI to HDMI converter (which also should act as an audio injector --> that's why I bought it at least, but I didn't really get that far! )

image.png.82387e551a6cf16f2a20285a0c830293.png

From the Statech converter, I connect the HDMI out to my Vizio LCD TV via HDMI cable and HDMI-in on the TV of course. 

When I turn it on, I'm getting nothing.  The TV isn't getting any signal to that HDMI input port.

:(

With the Sophia 2 still installed, I also tried running the monitor out (S-video out) from the stock Atari 800XL monitor jack to a CRT monitor, and that also does NOT get any signal to the monitor.  My understanding is that the normal stock monitor-out video should remain functional too, even with the Sophia 2 installed.  So the fact that I am not getting any video signal from the stock monitor-out jack does make me suspect the Sophia 2 unit I have might not be working.

Double :( 

I then removed the Sophia 2, and I put my GTIA chip back in.  And then the 800XL system works like usual again, with video coming out of the stock monitor-out jack just fine. 

So at least I know it's not my system.

Thoughts?  

An additional question I have is whether a DVI-I cable is really required?

I know the output port on the Sophia 2 is a DVI-I jack.   Does that mean the DVI cable I use also needs to be DVI-I on both ends? 

And if so, does that mean it can only be used with monitors that have a DVI-I input jack (including the 4 analog signal pins unique to DVI-I) ? 

I'm kind of stumped at this point, other than jumping to a conclusion that my Sophia 2 unit might indeed be a bad one. 

Appreciate any help or guidance here.

Thanks!

-Eric

Can't you try it direct to a monitor without that converter?   And is it powered by it's own wall-wart?  If not then it might be trying to leech power from the input or output device which might be insufficient.

If your RF modulator is still intact then you can always try the old way of connecting first.  Though without the shielding I found the signal to be a bit ordinary (though in my 600XLs case I suspect the RF jack is more a cause of it's problems)

Though you say you tried the traditional monitor approach so I suspect there's some problem with your installation.

21 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Can't you try it direct to a monitor without that converter?   And is it powered by it's own wall-wart?  If not then it might be trying to leech power from the input or output device which might be insufficient.

If your RF modulator is still intact then you can always try the old way of connecting first.  Though without the shielding I found the signal to be a bit ordinary (though in my 600XLs case I suspect the RF jack is more a cause of it's problems)

Though you say you tried the traditional monitor approach so I suspect there's some problem with your installation.

The converter has it's own power supply and it was plugged in (LED on converter was lit) separately.

Yes, RF is still intact but I didn't try that.  I did, however, try the stock monitor-out jack on the 800XL while the Sophia 2 was installed, and it didn't work either.  It does work when the Sophia 2 is removed and GTIA chip is put back in place though.

I did not try plugging the Sophia 2 directly to a monitor without the converter because the only Monitor I have with DVI-in port does NOT accept a DVI-I (with the extra 4 pins), so the cable would not plug into the monitor.   I could try it with a DVI-D cable, but not sure if the DVI-I cable (with analog signal pins) is a requirement for the Sophia 2 to work with a DVI monitor.

By the way, i completely removed the sophia 2. Re-installed the GTIA and confirmed system was working.

Then I removed the GTIA again, and re-installed the sophia 2.  And tried it again.  No luck.

I did this three times actually.  So I don't think anything is wrong with the actual installation. 

But I am all ears on suggestions. 

-Eric

13 minutes ago, erichenneke said:

I did not try plugging the Sophia 2 directly to a monitor without the converter because the only Monitor I have with DVI-in port does NOT accept a DVI-I (with the extra 4 pins), so the cable would not plug into the monitor.   I could try it with a DVI-D cable, but not sure if the DVI-I cable (with analog signal pins) is a requirement for the Sophia 2 to work with a DVI monitor.

This is really uncommon. I´ve tested over 20 models of TVs and PC monitors since Sophia-1 with DVI output exists and none of them have a jack which prevents to plug in cables with the "analogue extension". Most monitors just ignore the signals here. So I think, you better get another cable (or monitor).  From my personal experience after installing roundabout 20 Sophia´s it´s mostly a broken or non-compliant cable or at last the monitor/TV which makes trouble.

Regarding your DVI to HDMI converter with Audio injector I would suggest to use the standard "DVD compatible" resolution (the first one in the list of digital modes). This resolution should work with ALL DVI/HDMI equipment due to backward compatibility.

• Like 1