IGNORED

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Simius

22 minutes ago, Gandor said:

Since this is video only, where can I get the audio from?

Also need to find the right spot to install the connector, any suggestions?

Suggestions for both described here:

The DVI adapter has mounting points specifically designed to line up with the RF modulator mounting lugs on the motherboard.

For mono systems, the 3.5mm jack can just have both channels jumpered to the legacy monitor jack's audio pin. You could also use a DIN5 monitor cable which breaks the audio out onto RCA jacks if you don't want to drill a hole for a headphone jack.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3

I installed Sophia 2 and the picture is so good that it kind of freak me out: looks like an emulator... it is gorgeous.  Anyway. I have a question: Is there any setting to make it good as PAL vs NTSC GTIA?

I installed it in a NTSC system and DVI output have a bit different colors, but the SVIDEO (analog) output looks like PAL (the READY blue screen is a bit greeny) but games like Montezuma run at normal (for me) speed which translate to faster than PAL.  . I am interested in the PAL vs NTSC topic since I am planning installing another Sophia 2 in a PAL system.

Thanks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, manterola said:

I installed it in a NTSC system and DVI output have a bit different colors, but the SVIDEO (analog) output looks like PAL (the READY blue screen is a bit greeny) but games like Montezuma run at normal (for me) speed which translate to faster than PAL.  . I am interested in the PAL vs NTSC topic since I am planning installing another Sophia 2 in a PAL system.

Thanks!

Sophia-2 detects automatically the TV system by counting scanlines delivered by ANTIC. So when you´ve installed a NTSC ANTIC, Sophia-2 set up itself to NTSC GTIA - and vice versa for PAL. Of course you need the correct frequency (3.57 MHz for NTSC, 3.54 MHz for PAL) an the OSC Input. It will work with wrong crystal, but you didn´t get a colored screen, only black & white.

31 minutes ago, mimo said:

wow, picture quality is amazing.

Any idea if I can inject audio in to  a dvi to hdmi cable somehow? 

Two possibilites:

1. Some televisions have several HDMI inputs, where one of them can combined with audio input from RCA jacks or headphone jacks. Look into the manual ?

2. Purchase a "HDMI Audio injector". Small Boxes with HDMI in, HDMI out and two RCA jacks for Audio in.

Attention... mostly you will find HDMI audio EXTRACTORS, which are used to grab analogue audio signals from a digital stream. These devices are wrong for you & Sophia-usage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. Some televisions have several HDMI inputs, where one of them can combined with audio input from RCA jacks or headphone jacks. Look into the manual ?

Unfortunately none of my TV's have this feature

2. Purchase a "HDMI Audio injector". Small Boxes with HDMI in, HDMI out and two RCA jacks for Audio in.

Brilliant, at least I know what to search for now :D 

Think I'll just plug it in to some speakers, not paying that much!!

Edited by mimo
update
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tf_hh said:

Sophia-2 detects automatically the TV system by counting scanlines delivered by ANTIC. So when you´ve installed a NTSC ANTIC, Sophia-2 set up itself to NTSC GTIA - and vice versa for PAL. Of course you need the correct frequency (3.57 MHz for NTSC, 3.54 MHz for PAL) an the OSC Input. It will work with wrong crystal, but you didn´t get a colored screen, only black & white.

I thought that might be the case since I was able to run Montezuma at "normal-for-me" speed. Is the color palette also switched automatically (for the analog output)? and for the digital output?

Let me explain myself: I was following fjc video and I first changed the original GTIA and inserted the Sophia 2, and then powered the computer to check if it was able to boot and see the image in the screen thru the svideo connection, before attempting to go further. Then I noticed a bit greenish screen.

I know, probably it really does not matter that much because I will keep using the DVI output instead of the svideo, anyway. It is just curiosity of how this piece of technology works (and was designed).

Mauricio

Edited by manterola

On 12/16/2020 at 8:54 AM, manterola said:

It is just curiosity of how this piece of technology works (and was designed).

I think in simple terms; GTIA is being emulated in a chip by Sophia2 while still sending out the stock Luma and Chroma bits (composite and S-Video) in parallel with it's selected synthesized video output (RGB, VGA, or DVI). Sophia also contains the PAL color burst oscillator circuit, which is normally a separate support circuit from GTIA on a stock machine. So feed Sophia a 3.58 Mhz clock and this will result in a NTSC GTIA, feed it 3.54 Mhz and you'll get a PAL GTIA (including proper color burst frequency). This applies to both the stock video and the synthesized video simultaneously.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Synthpopalooza said:

So a question:

Has anyone tried this on Sophia 2 yet to see if we get 160 pixel resolution at 45 colors?

I've not yet installed mine, but in reading the documentation, there is a control bit that can be used to enable and disable the GTIA10 half clock shift.  It should work.

19 hours ago, manterola said:

I thought that might be the case since I was able to run Montezuma at "normal-for-me" speed. Is the color palette also switched automatically (for the analog output)? and for the digital output?

Hmm, I think so - but finally this should be answered by @Simius ?

1 hour ago, mimo said:

Please excuse the possibly dumb question, what do I need/need to change to output to an rgb display? I'm planning on using my sony LMD-1410 display (which wont work with my STe because it's missing sync apparently )

It looks like this monitor requires Sync-on-Green when using RGB/YPbPr when I sneak into the manual... so no chance.

On 12/16/2020 at 9:18 AM, mimo said:

Unfortunately none of my TV's have this feature

Brilliant, at least I know what to search for now :D 

Think I'll just plug it in to some speakers, not paying that much!!

I've been running the audio out separately to stereo/surround systems or amplified PC speakers on all my computers, consoles and video equipment for three decades. Pokey has wonderful bass sound capabilities that you have no idea of until the audio is put through a good audio system. All sounds from the Pokey are richer and fuller. Of course I've had at least dual Pokey stereo for the last 15-20 years too (two L/R stereo outs and one mono out through monitor port). 

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I've been running the audio out separately to stereo/surround systems or amplified PC speakers on all my computers, consoles and video equipment for three decades. Pokey has wonderful bass sound capabilities that you have no idea of until the audio is put through a good audio system. All sounds from the Pokey are richer and fuller. Of course I've had at least dual Pokey stereo for the last 15-20 years too (two L/R stereo outs and one mono out through monitor port). 

I know it makes sense for the better audio quality, and I really should fit the dual pokey board that has sat in a draw for the last 15 years, but I'm running out of space on my desk (and money in my bank :D )

• Like 3

WOW - just got this installed in my PAL 1088XEL (literally a 30 second install BTW).  My god - the image quality is stunning.  It's like an emulator! I'm currently running on a Dell 19" 4:3 LCD.  Later today I may try it on my 17" Trinitron CRT via VGA.  Due to desk space (lack thereof), it will probably remain on the LCD but we'll see.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stephen said:

My god - the image quality is stunning.  It's like an emulator!

Yep.. that freak me out.. it is like not using a real Atari... I mean I grew up using a B/W television and the RF output.... When I finally got the UAV and connected it to SVideo I was surprised.

But this at another level...

• Like 1