IGNORED

Earliest MENU program from Analog magazine monthly disk.

Allan

Does any body either know what the earliest MENU program was on the Analog magazine monthly disk was? Most of the disk images out there have been altered and the menu program has been deleted and replaced with a different one. I have one that looks like this one from the June 1984 issue. All the early disk images from the Holmes collection have been altered. Any idea? 

Antic or ANALOG?

Early ANALOG disks don't appear to have had a menu, but the earliest ANALOG in A8SP is iss 36 and it has this

ANALOGatari000.png.9510452e92c128c1b8d56d7eced2694b.png

by iss 75 is looks like this.

1936634126_analogatari0002.png.b57d5c193ef12c42b71c43e2cbad7c16.png

Antic had a few different menus as well. The pic you posted and this one

anticatari000.png.863e7cdbdfbafcbfc7ba93af468f8139.png

seem to be the most common menus.

There are so many disks labeled as Antic/ANALOG that are actually just a few of the files, probably typed in by a user and labelled as the issue that finding verified original dumps is quite important for magazine disks.

Atari User UK had a disk available but I've never seen a genuine one.

30 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

There are so many disks labeled as Antic/ANALOG that are actually just a few of the files, probably typed in by a user and labelled as the issue that finding verified original dumps is quite important for magazine disks.

These seem to all have come from the Holmes collection. It was most likely just one person that did it and many just copied the disk images and spread them all over the Net.

I have an original disk of issue 38. I seems they never bothered to have the menu program autoboot until later. The earliest original Analog disk I have that autoboots the menu is issue 46. I have say Antic seemed to be ahead of Analog when it came to this sort of thing. Thanks, Mr. Robot.

6 hours ago, Allan said:

Opps. Don't do things in a hurry.

I mean Analog.

Do you know if your second Analog pic came from an original disk?

I think so. I got it from a8preservation so it’s very likely

• Like 1

Also, for ANALOG, there used to be a list of filenames and files sizes for the disks printed in the magazines. It was on the other side of the staple portion of the subscription card insert and it didn’t come along until later issues. The ANALOG magazines themselves have been archived fairly well, but I’ve never seen those little inserts included. I made scans of the few that I had before I sold my issues to The Doctor.

• Like 1