IGNORED

Is an R-Zone homebrew possible?

3d-printed carts, chips made to mimic the original, would it be possible at all? How does one even program for a thing like this? I assume you just have it light up certain parts of the screen and then have a bit of code for "collision detection", right? Like a Microvision?

You could do it I guess two different ways, one would just be software emulation/simulation as people have done up various LCD handhelds both as apps/software on computer/mobile but also even with like online flash type stuff (like that pica pic site for the flash to MAME or madrigals stand alone releases on PC etc.)

The other would be do it the correct way, like Tiger did.  I think it would be entirely not practical given the system bombed so like how many really are out there that would buy something like that to even cover the costs of development.  You'd need to 3D print or source a mold for the shell, then get the components of the LCD and fabricate a modern pcb/chip to drive that which all fits in that housing and slides into the R-Zone.  If you could get beyond that hurdle, if you know the coding language needed it just would be a matter of telling the LCD to move the lit up bits here or that, or to beep this or that out of a speaker and you're there.

I'm only spitballing this because I have one in my desk here and can look at what went into those little see through carts.  I don't think it would be very financially responsible unless some chinese sweat shop could crank them out at an end price of no more than probably $20-30 tops given what they sell for new on ebay these days for the more average stuff.

• Like 1

Programming a game would be rather easy. The "console" is merely a holder for batteries, controller, and the game itself, like microvision, or game wizard. Technically, as long as the game works within the controller limitations, you could make a cart with Xbox level graphics and gameplay. Of course, I think it should at least try to fit in the original consoles style.

The hard part would be getting a mask made for the LCD array. As hard as it is to get one for a much needed microvision screen replacement (which is sorely needed, AND would be a basic drop in component) which would net hundreds, or thousands of sales, I doubt you'd get one made (for a reasonable price) for a few dozen, or maybe a hundred on the top end, custom homebrew carts.