IGNORED

Best Atari 7800 light gun?

Pac-Lander

So, I recently purchased Crossbow and am now hunting down a copy of Alien Brigade. I've noticed that the light gun that was made for the XE (XG-1) is now somewhat difficult to come by, and are fairly expensive where I have found them.

My question is - is it worth it to shell out for the XG-1 or are there any 3rd party light guns that were made for the 7800 that you'd recommend that were possibly superior to the XG-1?

Open question, and thanks in advance for any help!

consoles-atari-atari-xe-light-gun-xg-1.jpg

I modded a sega light gun to work on the 7800, pretty simple iirc , or there are instructions out there to build an adaptor.

The sega gun is a little more accurate than the Atari one 

I purchased one of the light guns from Best several years ago. While the game Crossbow didn't really seem any easier to play with it vs just using a controller, I did however, play and beat Alien Brigade on my first play through with the light gun as it made that game much easier to play! Previously I couldn't get any further than the river section with some of the aliens on the skiboats and such. Of course like most light guns of the era, it only works on a CRT. 

I've owned 2 XE light guns and 4 Best light guns over the years and both the XEs weren't terribly accurate (shooting a couple inches to the left and an inch low or high from 6 feet away), and 2 of the Best light guns were about the same accuracy wise. Of the other 2, one shot sharp as a tack and the other was pretty darn accurate though you'd still get a stray shot that went a few inches off every 4 or 5 trigger pulls. The latter is one I own these days. 

In any case, based on my experience the Best guns can be pretty hit or miss but the XE gun has always been a miss for me, so I'd go with the Best and keep your fingers crossed that you get a good one. :)

I just looked at my light gun again. I was mistaken, I actually have an XE light gun. But I did purchase it from Best several years ago new. So I guess in my case I have an actual XE lightgun and my previous comment about how it worked still holds true.

On 5/26/2020 at 1:46 PM, aaron1677 said:

So, I recently purchased Crossbow and am now hunting down a copy of Alien Brigade. I've noticed that the light gun that was made for the XE (XG-1) is now somewhat difficult to come by, and are fairly expensive where I have found them.

My question is - is it worth it to shell out for the XG-1 or are there any 3rd party light guns that were made for the 7800 that you'd recommend that were possibly superior to the XG-1?

Open question, and thanks in advance for any help!

consoles-atari-atari-xe-light-gun-xg-1.jpg

The Atari XG-1 was also sold in an OEM version in blank cardboard boxes at Commodore dealers here in the US for a bunch of Commodore 64 and Amiga light gun games. That really cheesed me off back in the day after discovering that since it was damn near impossible to buy the official XG-1 separate from the XE Game System. Atari Corp didn't seem to list it in their mail-order catalog listings, Toys R Us, Federated [the biggest surprise of all since Atari Corp owned them at that point], The Good Guys!, and KayBee didn't stock them. Same with the 7800 "Europads" and the later ST PowerPads [better known as JagPads]. I found them at a Commodore dealer stripped of the Atari logos but the Fuji logo was still on the plastic mold for the connector. I had no clue at the time if the game company selling them for their Commodore light gun games had changed any of the internals and the Commodore dealer wasn't going to guarantee it would work and didn't have a friendly return policy so my 13 year old self opted not to chance $20 over it. In retrospect, I should've since it would've worked and Crossbow would've been a lot more fun... Point is, if you want the XG-1, you might be able to find these OEM versions being sold as "Commodore" light guns on ePay for a lower price than searching for an "Atari" [key word] light gun. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mitch said:

I have seen generic versions of the best light gun sold as commodore light guns as well.

Mitch

I think that might be where Brad got them in the first place, At least the mold anyhow cause the ones I've seen are not newly made but surely produced and sold in Europe back in the day.

EDIT: This this one. The Defender64 by Cheetah:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1