IGNORED

Atari Touchtablet and RAMbrant 2.0 not so smooth?

leech

So, after having read the manual and needing to press Shift+P to change to the Touch pad, I started to try to draw.  But ran into some odd issues.

1) The button on the stylus seemed to only move the cursor to the position I was touching (it otherwise jumps to the upper right corner).  To draw I had to hold down the button on the tablet.

2) There are mini 'pauses' in the drawing and it doesn't draw smoothly.

Now for the first point, that may just be the way it's written to act, it's literally been years since I'd used it, and I only ever had a joystick for it back in the day.

For the second point... it did it even with the Rapidus enabled in Rapidus mode!  Though it certainly booted a hell of a lot faster (off the SIDE2).  I was using this on my Beefy 130XE (U1MB, Rapidus, VBXE, Stereo Pokey)  Just weird that it would have mini pauses like that.

On that note, is there any newer alternatives to RAMbrandt, I also have a light pen (that I haven't tested yet) but drawing on the tablet seems the most enjoyable.  Would also be cool if someone wrote an art package to support the VBXE modes :)

Also with Atari Artist it seems to work perfectly smoothly.  And is it me or is Koala Pad just a clone of Atari Artist where they swapped the colors of the interface, and made it work with the Koala Pad instead of the Atari Touch Tablet?

I actually prefer the lightpen vs. the Touch Tablet.  My TT seems to skip and jump around all over the place, not smooth.  With the lightpen, it seems more intuitive.  Not sure if there are anymore PRGMS newer than RAMbrandt (with I never got the hang of).   Try the lightpen.  Be sure to swipe the screen free of Static electricity first.  The adjust the brightness properly to get the pen to function smoothly.

IMG_4131.JPG

10 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

I actually prefer the lightpen vs. the Touch Tablet.  My TT seems to skip and jump around all over the place, not smooth.  With the lightpen, it seems more intuitive.  Not sure if there are anymore PRGMS newer than RAMbrandt (with I never got the hang of).   Try the lightpen.  Be sure to swipe the screen free of Static electricity first.  The adjust the brightness properly to get the pen to function smoothly.

IMG_4131.JPG

I will give the lightpen a shot today.  I was wondering if these would work on the the 16/32 line.  Actually I have been meaning to track down a wacom for the USB, as I think I read certain models of those work if you have USB.  Which I have the NetUSBee and Lightning for the TT!

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

lol, I still have my screen static discharger somewhere... but I think the solution(liquid) that went with it is long gone....

All that I do is rub my hand across the CRT screen to relieve it of its static charge.  If not done, the lightpen (Plus symbol) will dance all over the screen.

2 hours ago, leech said:

I will give the lightpen a shot today.  I was wondering if these would work on the the 16/32 line.  Actually I have been meaning to track down a wacom for the USB, as I think I read certain models of those work if you have USB.  Which I have the NetUSBee and Lightning for the TT!

The lightpen is made for the A8.  I know other computers had lightpens, but the software to drive them was computer specific.  Not sure if any lightpens were made for the 16/32 line of computers.  They are fun.

you risk zapping your Atari if the static is on the screen or transferred to your body... discharge yourself between wiping away static and using pen/computer... never use pen on statically charged screen... never use statically charged body on pen/computer/peripherals. :)

as in touch a grounded something or another , metal water pipe etc... some of todays faucets and spigots are plastic.. so a small light stream of water will make the discharge... or just wash your hands with a full stream and dry em... :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1