IGNORED

Funny/Bad/Misleading Video Game Box Art Thread

Someone tell me with a straight face why this box art was acceptable. 

Here's the Japanese box art, it looks normal, nothing wrong here:

220px-Super_Puzzle_Bobble_PS2_Cover.jpg.8b1e1e864605611324588c48bf1b820e.jpg

Then here's the one the US got, I have no words, this is what an unused texture deep in the game's code looks like, not the box art that advertises the game:912286493_images(45).thumb.jpeg.2cdcec7877fff896076e4376c3797690.jpeg

Edited by Magmavision2000
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

912286493_images(45).thumb.jpeg.2cdcec7877fff896076e4376c3797690.jpeg

Because look who the US publisher is.  Just sound it out as such: Ack! Lame!  Pretty much their entire resume, pain and lameness until they went under.

Just now, DragonGrafx-16 said:

PC Engine cover of Soldier Blade is much cooler though...

113918-soldier-blade-turbografx-16-fronttg16_soldier_blade_p_806nj3.jpg

Yeah, it's a little better. Honestly I still have not been able to find this game. I've looked for it every time I go to Akiba, but I've still not seen it unless Caravan Stage counts. Funny that I'd find that useless thing instead.

Just now, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, it's a little better. Honestly I still have not been able to find this game. I've looked for it every time I go to Akiba, but I've still not seen it unless Caravan Stage counts. Funny that I'd find that useless thing instead.

I bought my copy in the US actually (PC-E version). 

1 minute ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The irony... I can get it online, but I'd rather find a copy that I can inspect myself before I buy it. Still, we're getting pretty off-topic here...

It's because it sells for $100 even loose... so most just sell it online rather than loose out on profit by selling it to a store. I got a complete copy for $140.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Here's another misleading one. Had this one as a kid and recently got another copy in a set with my Nomad:

47734_front.jpg

and the back

47734_back.jpg

So it says that you design/build your own tracks... yeah, you don't do anything like that. All you can do is adjust some sliders to change a few variables, and half of those don't really seem to do much anyway. Good game, though, so maybe try it if you can find it and it's not too expensive.

And sticking with US Genesis games, here's one that has bothered me ever since I was a kid. I wonder how many people here can identify what's EXTREMELY wrong with this one:

75999-after-burner-ii-genesis-front-cove

Edited by Steven Pendleton

On 5/28/2020 at 8:34 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

lol yeah, that's true! I think Soldier Blade is one of the rare exceptions!

I think that there's at 50 Turbo games with comparable or better cover art than the PCE versions.

Many Turbo covers blow away the Japanese version.

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2020 at 11:07 PM, Magmavision2000 said:

Here's the Japanese box art, it looks normal, nothing wrong here:

220px-Super_Puzzle_Bobble_PS2_Cover.jpg.8b1e1e864605611324588c48bf1b820e.jpg

Then here's the one the US got, I have no words, this is what an unused texture deep in the game's code looks like, not the box art that advertises the game:912286493_images(45).thumb.jpeg.2cdcec7877fff896076e4376c3797690.jpeg

Bust-A-Move covers seemed to take creativity/artisticness a little too far sometimes:

gbc-bust-a-move-millennium-p-9dmt8h.jpg

• 7 months later...

I have the PC version, with a probably back then amazing metallized artwork that now fall apart and (I can assume) the metallized stripes are oxydized and no longer shiny.

https://image.jeuxvideo.com/images-sm/jaquettes/00026483/jaquette-the-lawnmower-man-pc-cover-avant-g.jpg

At the very least I'll give it to them that it's not some outworldly artwork, but a picture from the movie (or made from movie material) and probably the only part of the movie that people remember (usually if you talk about the movie today you will see the scene in the virtual world where the Lawmower man struggle to unlock digital locks)

lawnmowerman_avatar-1024x584.jpg

1 hour ago, CatPix said:

I have the PC version, with a probably back then amazing metallized artwork that now fall apart and (I can assume) the metallized stripes are oxydized and no longer shiny.

https://image.jeuxvideo.com/images-sm/jaquettes/00026483/jaquette-the-lawnmower-man-pc-cover-avant-g.jpg

At the very least I'll give it to them that it's not some outworldly artwork, but a picture from the movie (or made from movie material) and probably the only part of the movie that people remember (usually if you talk about the movie today you will see the scene in the virtual world where the Lawmower man struggle to unlock digital locks)

lawnmowerman_avatar-1024x584.jpg

I'm still unsure if the SNES cover or the Genesis cover is better. lol

MqepTga.jpg