IGNORED

Sound volume out is way low on external...

speakers, I am using a multisync with an RGB cable that has a stereo out cable in it, video is OK, but the volume out is very low, have to turn the speakers all the way up just for a croak, and there is hum to boot.  Not sure if this is a problem with the RBG cable or the audio out as I don't have a color monitor, but on the mono SM124 the volume seems fine for the key clicks, etc.  Any ideas anyone?

Hi b, whatever audio I am getting from the video out cable is not near enough with just powered computer speakers, although it is fine with my SM124 monitor.  However, now that I have an STe, the RCA outputs have tons of output to drive the computer speakers, in fact, I have to really turn them down!

On 5/30/2020 at 7:55 AM, Randy said:

speakers, I am using a multisync with an RGB cable that has a stereo out cable in it, video is OK, but the volume out is very low, have to turn the speakers all the way up just for a croak, and there is hum to boot.  Not sure if this is a problem with the RBG cable or the audio out as I don't have a color monitor, but on the mono SM124 the volume seems fine for the key clicks, etc.  Any ideas anyone?

Which ST? Mainboard version?

Some STs have problems with the electrolytic capacitors located in the audio output path (22 uF each). After exchanging them (only a few cents item) the volume and loud again.

• Like 1

This is the 1040STfm, the output from the monitor to a RGB cable, which has an audio output jack, is unusable low, but connected to an Atari monitor like the SM124, the audio is fine, loud and clear.  Since the whole motherboard has been recapped, the audio channel caps would not be an issue, it's more likely the audio out from the monitor jack is unamplified and needs amplification as used in the Atari monitors of the day or a TV set.  OTOH, the RCA jacks from a 1040 STe have plenty of audio output on the same speaker setup, it's pretty obvious there is an onboard audio amp connected to those output jacks. 

9 hours ago, Randy said:

This is the 1040STfm, the output from the monitor to a RGB cable, which has an audio output jack, is unusable low, but connected to an Atari monitor like the SM124, the audio is fine, loud and clear.  Since the whole motherboard has been recapped, the audio channel caps would not be an issue, it's more likely the audio out from the monitor jack is unamplified and needs amplification as used in the Atari monitors of the day or a TV set.  OTOH, the RCA jacks from a 1040 STe have plenty of audio output on the same speaker setup, it's pretty obvious there is an onboard audio amp connected to those output jacks. 

That's exactly it. You need to connect the audio out to a set of powered speakers. I learned that long ago when the ST was my main machine. The puny monitor speaker was not enough for my taste, so someone in my user group leaving the ST scene gave me his old monitor switchbox which had an audio out jack. I hooked it up to my small unamplified speakers and got barely anything. At that time (late 80s, early 90s), a good set of powered speakers were still at least $100+. Bummed out since I was a poor child. I only got one years later when I saved up my pennies. Incredible now you can get a decent set of amplified speakers for well under $100. People are spoiled by cheap electronics now don't know how expensive something like amplified speakers were back in the days. Sorry for the digression...

Yes, the sound level on monitor output of ST/E is low. So need amplifier with  good sensitivity - ready for low level signal.

And there is something more: because of design bug STE DMA audio level is much lower (about 6x) than PSG (YM) sound level.  That makes problems especially in (rare) cases when both sound sources are active at once. Need to lower PSG amplitude to make it balanced, and that's possible only in code of SW. There is thread about it at AF, but that's down currently. I made HW fix - need some resistors around STE Microwire chip to make it balanced.

In any case using RCA outputs on STE is recommended, it nothing else, to get stereo sound when SW makes it.