IGNORED

Fixable Screen or 'Mcwill' it?

Makara

I picked up a Lynx I on Ebay that was in really nice condition on the outside but has a bad screen. I recapped it hoping that might do something but there is no change.

As you can see it has vertical and horizontal lines. Strangely the horizontal ones start to disappear as the Lynx has been on for a while and some of the verticals too.

Has anyone fixed this or is it done for? I was expecting to have to replace it but I will try a fix if it's possible!

WXuWMji.jpg

I would not go McWill.  Okay, everybody get mad me now.  I had a McWill installed.  It burned up my previously perfectly good Lynx II after about a month.  Go with a replaceable OEM from Best ($20 last time I got one) or other sources.  There is alternative from Australia.  I have not installed it but others have.

I have done a few screen upgrades so if you want my old Lynx I screens I can send you them.

There may also be a Benn Venn variant for the Lynx I available later this year.

I do have a Lynx I Mc Will screen and I love it.

22 hours ago, karri said:

I have done a few screen upgrades so if you want my old Lynx I screens I can send you them.

There may also be a Benn Venn variant for the Lynx I available later this year.

I do have a Lynx I Mc Will screen and I love it.

Thanks for the kind offer! I have decided to go ahead with a new Mcwill screen though, I've done a couple on the Game Gear and they are great. I did look into a Ben Venn screen but almost everything in their store is out of stock and I can't wait months for one.

23 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

I would not go McWill.  Okay, everybody get mad me now.  I had a McWill installed.  It burned up my previously perfectly good Lynx II after about a month.  Go with a replaceable OEM from Best ($20 last time I got one) or other sources.  There is alternative from Australia.  I have not installed it but others have.

That's not good, was it definitely the screen?

Who are 'Best' by the way, I may need a replacement OEM for my Lynx II so it would be good to get some leads.

11 minutes ago, Makara said:

Thanks for the kind offer! I have decided to go ahead with a new Mcwill screen though, I've done a couple on the Game Gear and they are great. I did look into a Ben Venn screen but almost everything in their store is out of stock and I can't wait months for one.

That's not good, was it definitely the screen?

Who are 'Best' by the way, I may need a replacement OEM for my Lynx II so it would be good to get some leads.

Maybe I was just one of the unlucky ones.  i ordered a Benn Venn model.  It took about a month to get here.   Looks good, but I have not had the nerve to install yet.

Both the BenVenn and McWill screens look amazing on the Lynx II units! I've installed several of both and as far as I know, none of my clients have had any issues with theirs. There was one client that had their BennVenn screen go out just a week or so after they received it. Turned out to be a common issue with the power boards that are on the BennVenn kits and the client was able to touch it up with a bit of solder on their end to fix it. I now check that section and actually apply a little solder as well just to be sure when I've installed them since then. I honestly can't see any reason for the McWill to burn out a lynx unless something shorted inside from the work done on it that came loose. When I put a McWill or BennVenn into a Lynx II I do advise that the power components get refreshed with new just be sure since the original components are older and prone to fail these days. I also advise recapping them since many sound issues are related to caps going bad in these handhelds. If you are going to do a few of them, you might as well do them all while you are in there I say.

• 2 weeks later...