IGNORED

Pete Rose Baseball Question Answered and Objective Reached

KevinMos3

I've said many times that this is my favorite baseball game and pretty much the only one I've had the patience to play (along with the 2600 version).  One of the things I've always wondered could be done is scoring on a foul.  I've tried it over the years and never accomplished it until tonight.  I hit a baseline foul that took long enough to land that I was able to run a score in from 3rd.  So that answered that question.

The other thing I never really thought about was if the score maxes out and if so, when.  This may have been discussed before, but turns out it maxes at 99.  Clearly this is not something I could have done under normal circumstances; I cheated a little with the rewind feature of RetroArch.  ;)  I don't know if anyone else will find these points interesting, but I thought I'd share.

• Like 4

I respect this and recall many a moon ago trying to see if the score would roll over on the 2600's Realsports Baseball.  Of course now I can't remember if it stayed at 99 or rolled back to 00 but that was a long gaming session playing the 2-player option solo.  Lots of grand slams were hit that day.

Interesting. When you say "score on a foul" do you mean that it gives you the run since you've already made it to the next base (home plate) before the ball hits the ground and is declared a foul (which is not a baseball rule) as opposed to a ball being caught in foul territory and you tagging at third and scoring (which is allowed in baseball). I think you're talking about the former which would be a bug.

Edited by cvga
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cvga said:

...When you say "score on a foul" do you mean that it gives you the run since you've already made it to the next base (home plate) before the ball hits the ground and is declared a foul...

Yes, my 3rd base runner made it home before the ball hit the ground to be declared a foul, giving me a point.

But thank you for clarifying the rule(s).  That's interesting.  I'm not familiar enough with baseball rules to know those details.  I had always wanted to see if it would/could be done in the game and it just never quite worked out until yesterday.

That's fascinating. I've noticed games that are handled in different ways. Sometimes they won't allow you to reach the next base until the ball is declared fair or foul. Sometimes they will let you get to the base but you need to return to the original base you started from once the ball is foul and sometimes they only make you return to the last base you touched. The actual rules force you to return to the base you were on at the beginning of the play unless the ball is caught in the air in foul territory. In that case you still have to return to the base you started from (after the catch) but you are allowed to advance at your own risk. Sometimes you'll see a deep foul ball that is caught and the runner will tag up (return to base) and then score. Once in awhile you'll see an outfielder purposefully not catch a foul ball so that the runner will not be allowed to advance.