IGNORED

XF552 (Hyper-XF)

Larry

Here is the other XF that I unboxed while getting the CSS XF Dual Drive set.  The XF552 was sold for a short time probably 20 years ago.  It has a nice custom pcb, and has an 8040 MPU and uses the Hyper-XF OS.  It is strictly +5V to the internals, and the power adapter is a 2.4A unit.  This one looks very good because it has been painted, and also has been used very little.

My personal preference was always that an XF551 was something of a "misfit." Its 360 KB mode was not compatible with 1050's or 810's.  CSS solved some of the issues, but my solution was to convert them to 720KB drives.  At 720KB, it did not need to be compatible with much of anything.  And all of my 720KB disks were formatted to UltraSpeed.  (Standard SIO speed in DD seems to take forever!)  I'll post more about this one after I've checked it out. 

XF552-Front.jpg

XF552-Rear.jpg

XF552-Internal.jpg

• Like 9

I've been running the XF552 this AM, and it works great.  As you can tell from the front view, it has a front power button and power LED (green) added to the 5-1/4 to 3-1/2 adapter frame.  I've always hated reaching around to the back of a drive to power it on/off.  I'm also going to use this a bit to make sure it also works reliably, and then probably put it up for sale, too.

Then look for a 3rd thread -- I have an unusual XF551 with the Enhancer by CSS.  This is the upgrade that lets the drive act as an XF551 or emulate a 1050.  Pretty rare, actually.

• Like 1

Hi Larry,

I don't recall where they were going up for sale, when and IF they go up for sale. I'd hate to miss out on my rare chance. Please inform us of exactly where again for some of us with the foggy brain cells again. TIA.

Good stuff, dang good stuff.

I made a 720K drive out of the original board on an XF551 and the Hyper-XF OS a few years ago.  You can see it in this picture.  I always called mine the XF351, not knowing there was actually a proto-type for it. They are nice

20161209_112245_HDR.thumb.jpg.58060f9e58623455e6191cfac471d3a5.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Larry said:

I've always hated reaching around to the back of a drive to power it on/off. 

Me too! Which is why I'm going to be installing front power buttons to both of my Indus GT's and my CA-2001! I've been planning it for a while, but just have too many other projects higher on the list.

26 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That's an impressive stack of drives!

Yes it is! But probably not the best place to stack them, next to the monitor, unless you have the inside cases all coated with EMF paint and grounding like I do! (in my 1084S monitor, speakers and disk drives)

I use the Yshield HSF54. $65 1L bottle was enough for me for 6 drives, one monitor, 4 speakers and I have some left over.

https://www.emrss.com/collections/emf-shielding-paint

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

You can hide the on/off button in the controls pad of the GT, if you select the correct push to latch type with a small enough throw... no one would even knows it's there sharing another button. Or you might try a split button made with 3d printer..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

That's an impressive stack of drives!

2 Happy 1050s, XF351, XF551, Indus GT with ramcard. On the left, Percom, The rest of the drives go to the ST Line.  The ATR8000 is not connected in that picture.

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

Yes it is! But probably not the best place to stack them, next to the monitor, unless you have the inside cases all coated with EMF paint and grounding like I do! (in my 1084S monitor, speakers and disk drives)

I use the Yshield HSF54. $65 1L bottle was enough for me for 6 drives, one monitor, 4 speakers and I have some left over.

https://www.emrss.com/collections/emf-shielding-paint

Been like that for years and I have had no problems with them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulBuster said:

2 Happy 1050s, XF351, XF551, Indus GT with ramcard. On the left, Percom, The rest of the drives go to the ST Line.  The ATR8000 is not connected in that picture.

Been like that for years and I have had no problems with them.

Glad to here it, but it would effect the floppies put in the drives, damaging data or them, not the drives themselves.

39 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

You can hide the on/off button in the controls pad of the GT, if you select the correct push to latch type with a small enough throw... no one would even knows it's there sharing another button. Or you might try a split button made with 3d printer..

Thanks for the tip! I will do that. As to the CA-2001, I'll do that too, though there's no cover to hide it anyway.

I've been using the XF2 today, and had to determine how the drive numbers were set.  The drive was previously set to be D2: The drive numbers are set with the BLUE S1 dip switches on the pcb (inside the case):

......#1..#2

D1: ON ON

D2: OFF ON

D3: ON OFF

D4: OFF OFF

ON is marked on the switch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 10:09 AM, SoulBuster said:

I made a 720K drive out of the original board on an XF551 and the Hyper-XF OS a few years ago.  You can see it in this picture.  I always called mine the XF351, not knowing there was actually a proto-type for it. They are nice

20161209_112245_HDR.thumb.jpg.58060f9e58623455e6191cfac471d3a5.jpg

Hater-Missiles armed and ready to deploy.

• Like 1