stephena

Stella 6.2 released

BTW: Why don't you use the TimeMachine to narrow down the situation? 

I'm having trouble getting Pitfall 2 to load.  It worked fine in previous versions, but for some reason now it's loading only a glitched screen.

This was addressed in the 6.2.1 release.  I tend to not create a new thread for minor releases, but instead add it in the current one.  So if you go back through the last few pages, it's mentioned that there was a 6.2.1 release that fixed this (and a few other things too).

20 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I just implemented this one. :) 

Thanks Thomas - I hadn’t even submitted the feature request yet!

Chris

1 hour ago, cd-w said:

Thanks Thomas - I hadn’t even submitted the feature request yet!

You're welcome. But like I said above, IMO the TimeMachine is the better tool here.

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2020 at 12:01 AM, SpiceWare said:

On the Mac there's a global setting for all programs, which individual programs can override such as here in FaceTime:

This has been implemented now. With the next release (6.3) Stella will allow selecting an audio device.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 4:10 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:
On 7/22/2020 at 2:12 AM, Nathan Strum said:

As I recall, if I rewound a bit, then exited Time Machine directly to the debugger, it wouldn't step ahead from that point. I could go backwards and then forwards - but not past the point where I exited the Time Machine. The step ahead (unwind?) button was greyed out at times, and I wasn't at the end of the recorded save states.

Please double check. On my machine this works.

This is confirmed to be broken. Or rather, it doesn't work the way I expect it/need it to.

• I recorded and saved a game in Time Machine. I can scrub back and forth there fine. But due to the length of recording, I can't step forward/backward a frame at a time.
    1132222330_ScreenShot2020-07-27at1_29_20AM.thumb.png.df4ef364816749a49e06b53245d39f28.png
  • I exited directly to the debugger. I can use the left/right buttons (next to Step, Trace, etc) to step forward and backwards to Save States. Just like in Time Machine. No problem so far.
    57059735_ScreenShot2020-07-27at1_29_26AM.thumb.png.8d773cda91715e471393f0da0869e0c6.png
  • But as soon as I hit Frame +1 to step one frame ahead, the forward button is greyed out, and I can no longer go forward to any other Save State after that point. I can only go backwards, or forwards up until the point where I hit Frame +1. Stepping ahead one frame also ignores everything I've done after that point in-game. So I have to go back to Time Machine, reload the states, and do it all over again.
    794778339_ScreenShot2020-07-27at1_29_33AM.thumb.png.fb7b176d85548fc652daa704d2d19222.png

I'm really, really hoping the option to disable scaling can be added. Just being able to do screen recordings again would completely solve my frustration with this (and at the moment, I'm working on trying to capture homebrew screenshots for boxes/manuals, so I'm very frustrated).

Thanks again,

- Nathan

9 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:
  • But as soon as I hit Frame +1 to step one frame ahead, the forward button is greyed out, and I can no longer go forward to any other Save State after that point. I can only go backwards, or forwards up until the point where I hit Frame +1. 

Works as designed. :) 

Frame +1 runs the emulation for one frame. This must invalidate all future save states, because e.g. the user input might be different in the frame (or line or step). To move forward using the TimeMachine always use the right arrow or (Alt/Cmd+Right).

7 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Works as designed. :) 

Frame +1 runs the emulation for one frame. This must invalidate all future save states, because e.g. the user input might be different in the frame (or line or step). To move forward using the TimeMachine always use the right arrow or (Alt/Cmd+Right).

Understood - but for what I'm doing, I need single frame accuracy, forward and backwards for the entire recording. Therefore, I can't get there from here. So 6.0.2 is the last build without scaling, correct?

Posted (edited)

Previous versions scaled too, just differently. Here is a part of a screenshot of River Raid done with 6.0 (NTSC, aspect ratio 0.91):

RR_Scaled.png.d6811618ec8af7d756a781267f177597.png

Note that the width of the steps in the diagonal differs. 

Probably you are using aspect ratio 1.0. Then there should be no scaling effects in 6.0.

Starting with 6.1 we scale differently:

1. The width is integer scaled
  2. The height is scaled with anti-aliasing.

This reflects much better what happens on a CRT:

RR_Scaled_6_1.png.837cd2d58bc178c049612414c9922bbd.png

We plan to add a no-scaling option soon.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch