IGNORED

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection

I just got it a few hours ago and it's very good. I'm kind of surprised that nobody here is talking about this game and how awesome it is, especially for its cheap price.

Everything is better that it was before. Multiplayer for the original Command & Conquer died a long time ago and you needed that Westwood Online thing. At least, the Mac version did and that's what I had. Not sure what Windows had at the time. Anyway, that doesn't matter because it works now.

Skirmish mode got added and it's interesting so far, but the AI seems way too easy on normal. You can basically Orca/Apache + commandos & engineers in a Chinook them to death and they don't seem to know how to make defensive structures at all. I need to try the more difficult AI. I tried a 2 vs 2 skirmish with me + 1 AI on a team against 2 other AI players, and after my ally got killed in the first 5 minutes of the game somehow, I still won against the team of 2 enemy AI players with basically nothing but 6 Apaches + obelisk of light + SAM sites + engineers in a Chinook and maybe 2 nuclear missiles.

Anyway, game was good in 1995, game is way better now.

I'm just glad that it doesn't look super ugly like StarCraft Remastered does. Something about that version of that game just makes it look unattractive to me for whatever reason.

So anyway, about C&C's new skirmish mode. The AI is HORRIBLY stupid even on the highest difficulty. I played against a hard AI for the first time and also on a map I'd never played on before and I won in about 16 minutes. I noticed some really odd things that the hard AI does that make no sense at all. The first thing that I noticed is that after a while they seem to stop building anything at all, so if you just defend for a little while, they'll run out of stuff to send at you and then you can just walk a bunch of engineers over to their base if you want.

They also do not seem to build helicopters at all, just helipads. Helipads come with a helicopter, of course, but once the helicopter is destroyed, they don't bother to replace it, so you'll find bases full of empty helipads. I destroyed a helipad while an Orca that had just returned to rearm was sitting on it, but the Orca survived somehow and just sat there doing nothing. There were about 3 or 4 other empty helipads in that base, but rather than try to run away to save itself or go rearm at a different helipad, it just sat there and let a bunch of minigunners shoot it to death. This behaviour is quite strange, and I wonder if they are going to fix it.

Also, if you attack a harvester, the harvester will chase your infantry all the way across the map trying to run them over in addition to literally the entire enemy team running over to defend the harvester, so it's best to just leave them alone unless you want to lose a bunch of infantrymen to getting squished by the harvesters.

The AI also does not seem to be able to use the ion cannon or nuclear missiles, and I have yet to see it build the Temple of Nod or Advanced Comm Center (probably why it doesn't use nukes/ion cannon), mammoth tanks, artillery, the mobile rocket launcher, MCVs, transport helicopters, chem warriors, flamethrowers, flame tanks, stealth tanks, recon bike, Humvees (which has now been renamed to "light scout" for obvious reasons), commandos, APCs, the repair facility, or defensive structures of any type, including walls... which means that they don't seem to build over 50% of the units and structures that are available to them. I'm also pretty certain that rather than replacing destroyed harvesters with new harvesters, they just build a new refinery. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen the Nod AI use helicopters at all, but it's pretty common to get attacked by GDI Orcas in the first 3 minutes of a match.

Still, the single player is nice aside from the no-base missions, which are as difficult as they always were.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Okay, the Nod AI does build recon bikes, flamethrowers, helicopters (only through building helipads), SAM sites, turrets, and obelisks of light. The AI I played against built too many obelisks of light and had a base full of them and not enough power plants to power them. Actually, that AI built more obelisks than anything else except infantry. I also tried a custom map, and my AI ally built a single mobile artillery that it drove right into a bunch of GDI grenadiers and lost immediately. It seems the AI does better on the custom map since there is a lot more tiberium for it to gather, but the AI still had problems realizing that if you build a bunch of obelisks, you need power plants.