IGNORED

Have just read in June 2020's Retro Gamer magazine

Wrathchild

11 hours ago, aNdy_v said:

I can add your above message if you like, or do you want to add more?

Just a shame. Don't worry about it.

I was just trying to find out if he was ok. I'm not on Facebook anymore and when I got no reply to an email for a while and I went on to get

sick, I assumed the worst. Unfortunately I was right.

If you could add that message that would be great, Andy, thanks 

33 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Let's get the TOPIC clearly labelled... I had no idea this was about TMR....

Thanks for doing this @aNdy_v

The demo will be C64 only at the moment; I can code 6502 and write POKEY music, but I don't know enough about A8 architecture to release for Atari 8bit yet.  I need T.M.R to get better so he can teach me!

I originally missed this thread because of the topic title also...

I'm releasing the demo tomorrow, so any last minute messages to T.M.R, please post below!

3 hours ago, aNdy_v said:

The demo will be C64 only at the moment; I can code 6502 and write POKEY music, but I don't know enough about A8 architecture to release for Atari 8bit yet.  I need T.M.R to get better so he can teach me!

I originally missed this thread because of the topic title also...

I'm releasing the demo tomorrow, so any last minute messages to T.M.R, please post below!

"Everyone from AtariAge is wishing you well", Steve "snicklin" Nicklin

I have to cut off there, will be releasing the simple C64 demo later today and putting it on CSDb.

Hopefully, once T.M.R is betterer, he can teach me the finer points of the Atari 8bits and I can 'port' my C64 code to them!

Thanks everyone for your messages!

• Like 2

Just watched the demo Andy, not bad at all mate, love the rasters...

Nice tune too....

And of course, a wonderful idea for good old Jase, sad to hear he was giving the nurses some stick, must have been bloody awful and certainly not the Jase I know. I'm sure they gave as good as he did and I know Jase likes that sort of thing :)

Hoping to hear from the old bugger soon..

I've not been around for a few months with everything that's going on. I'm sorry to hear this, I've met Jason a few times at the past events. If anyone is in touch with Jason whilst he's in hospital send him my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

22 minutes ago, Tezz said:

I've not been around for a few months with everything that's going on. I'm sorry to hear this, I've met Jason a few times at the past events. If anyone is in touch with Jason whilst he's in hospital send him my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

You met him and me at the same time once, 2012 I think. Unfortunately I left the land of retro goodness in 2014 and moved to the land of sun goodness instead.

For anyone who hasn't got a c64 emulator at home, here is a Youtube video of the demo. The AtariAge messages come near the end...

1 hour ago, snicklin said:

You met him and me at the same time once, 2012 I think. Unfortunately I left the land of retro goodness in 2014 and moved to the land of sun goodness instead.

Amazing that was 8 years now Steve, after a record breaking rain fall here this week that sounds like a good move. I've been to all the Replay events that have been held here so far, this year is of course cancelled. Jason did attended several with his own stall and it was always good to have a chat with him. The later events haven't been quite as big but they're still worth attending. Last years venue is currently converted into a temporary Covid hospital. Sad times.

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

Nicely done.

I asssume it's opening up the border but from what I saw no sprites get displayed offscreen?

The top/bottom borders are open, yes.

Not sure what you mean about sprites 'off-screen'?  There are sprites being recycled down the screen in various IRQ's, the get well message composed of 5 sprites (or was it 6, can't remember even though I drew them and coded the thing!), the Cosine copyright logo made of 8 sprites and the main scroller has a 'dissolve' either side of the screen done using 2 sprites.

There are 3 character sets on screen to do the logo at top, the wibbly wobbly thing in the middle and then the text at the bottom.

The music was written for an 8580 SID, but the code will detect and modify the filter tables if an older 6581 SID is used.  Thanks Odie!

All standard fair I think.  The download on CSDb contains the (fairly well commented) source and all data files, because I believe in sharing.

One day I hope T.M.R can teach me how to port my code to run on A8 machines...  Get well soon T.M.R...

What I mean "offscreen" as in outside the normal 200 scanline area.

Porting to Atari - certain tricks on either machine are sort of irrelevant on the other.

Sprites in the border - we have that by default through you can't normally have PMG outside the 240 scanline normal area.  But with an Antic bug exploit you can (though many TVs will never show them).

Scrolling/DMA delay stuff - no need for it on Atari as scrolling and screen addresses can be done on a per line basis.

9 minutes ago, Rybags said:

What I mean "offscreen" as in outside the normal 200 scanline area.

Porting to Atari - certain tricks on either machine are sort of irrelevant on the other.

Sprites in the border - we have that by default through you can't normally have PMG outside the 240 scanline normal area.  But with an Antic bug exploit you can (though many TVs will never show them).

Scrolling/DMA delay stuff - no need for it on Atari as scrolling and screen addresses can be done on a per line basis.

There was no need to display sprites in the border for the demo, the design didn't call for it.

Although I can now just about code some 6502, everything else you just mentioned on Atari is alien to me but sounds fascinating which is why I would like to learn via T.M.R.  I've done some composing on POKEY for T.M.R and love the sound it generates, so would love to explore A8 more.

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Basically they are the forerunner of Copper lists on the Amiga..

A nice easy way to do mid screen line mode changes and other things..

Yeah, read about them after you mentioned them earlier.  The classic A8 colour bars effects.  Gorgeous!