IGNORED

Okimate screen print?

leech

So I just opened the NIB Atari Okimate 10 Plug N Print box to set up my Okimate 20.  Well low and behold, they are not compatible with each other... the internal connector for the Plug N Print boards are off centered from each other.  So for now the Okimate 20 is for the C64...

But now I have the software that comes with the Okimate 10 Plug N Print, in both Floppy disk and Tape form.  While I do have a 1010 and 410, I haven't tested to see if they work yet... and I have two 1050s, one which worked the last time I used it (which amazed me) which could use a good cleaning, and another that is untested.  So if we're missing the image of this, then I could definitely try to copy it.  I do have the Happy upgrade for one of the 1050s, I just haven't installed it yet, as I wanted to do a cleaning first. 

So the question is, really do I just use q-tips and isopropyl on both the heads and floppy disk?  What's the best method to use to copy from real floppy drive to ATR?  I mean I guess I could create a blank ATR, slap it on the Biggus Dickus, then mount that as D2: and use the happy copier for a 'pure' image.  Though I doubt something like that has a copy protection on it.

24 minutes ago, leech said:

So the question is, really do I just use q-tips and isopropyl on both the heads and floppy disk?  What's the best method to use to copy from real floppy drive to ATR?  I mean I guess I could create a blank ATR, slap it on the Biggus Dickus, then mount that as D2: and use the happy copier for a 'pure' image.  Though I doubt something like that has a copy protection on it.

Iso on a Q-tip for the floppy drive head, yes. For the floppy disk itself, no! You'll clean the magnetic media right off the Mylar disk. 

If the disk is copy-protected, you really want to get a flux image of the thing via something like a SuperCopy Pro or Kyroflux-equipped drive. If it's not copy-protected, than just use a sector copier running on your Atari to read the original disk and write the copy back to an ATR mounted to something like RespeQt on a PC or an SIO2SD, SDrive-Max or whatever.

11 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Iso on a Q-tip for the floppy drive head, yes. For the floppy disk itself, no! You'll clean the magnetic media right off the Mylar disk. 

If the disk is copy-protected, you really want to get a flux image of the thing via something like a SuperCopy Pro or Kyroflux-equipped drive. If it's not copy-protected, than just use a sector copier running on your Atari to read the original disk and write the copy back to an ATR mounted to something like RespeQt on a PC or an SIO2SD, SDrive-Max or whatever.

Ha, in the past we used to use q-tip + alcohol on the floppy disks (had jam on one at one point "Lonestar!  Only he would dare give me the raspberry!")  But then that was when they were new and not sitting in a box for ~30 years.

Edit: Indeed, that is what this page suggests as well http://retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/clean_disks.html

Edited by leech

8 minutes ago, Allan said:

The disk that I have has the DOS 3 version on the back. Both as well as all the manuals are on Atarimania.

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-okimate-10-atari-software_33598.html

Huh, each of the disk sides have different files on mine.

Side A

AUTO.BIN

CINSTRCT

COLOR

DESERT.PIC

LEARN

PRINT.BIN

SCRN.BIN

WORD.BIN

Side B

ADECCO.A

ADVPAPER

BWDEMO.SEQ

CHGSIZE

COLOR1

COLOR2

COLOR3

GRAPH.PIC

JBIRD1.PIC

JBIRD2.PIC

LEARN

LINESPC.SEQ

MARGIN.SEQ

PRGLIST

SCRN821.SEQ

SNDATA

Just now, leech said:

Agreed.  Now I need to figure out how to get my Okimate 20 to work...

Since there was never an Atari 8-bit interface, you'll have to use the ST interface which would have to be a standard parallel port and write your own printer driver. There might be a very very small chance someone did that back in the late Eighties/early Nineties but I doubt it. I have never seen one.  And finding if it if true won't be easy.  It would be great if you could figure it out though.

1 minute ago, Allan said:

Since there was never an Atari 8-bit interface, you'll have to use the ST interface which would have to be a standard parallel port and write your own printer driver. There might be a very very small chance someone did that back in the late Eighties/early Nineties but I doubt it. I have never seen one.  And finding if it if true won't be easy.  It would be great if you could figure it out though.

I guess the real question would be, is there a difference between say the ST interface and the Amiga one?  (I mean I have a couple different ways to print to a Centronics printer, if that's all those are).  I thought for sure since it has a C64 interface, they had made an Atari one for them.

1 minute ago, leech said:

I guess the real question would be, is there a difference between say the ST interface and the Amiga one?  (I mean I have a couple different ways to print to a Centronics printer, if that's all those are).  I thought for sure since it has a C64 interface, they had made an Atari one for them.

No, they gave up on the our little Atari 8-bit. :(

I will try to find out if there were different interfaces for the ST and Amiga.

2 minutes ago, Allan said:

No, they gave up on the our little Atari 8-bit. :(

I will try to find out if there were different interfaces for the ST and Amiga.

I found a driver for the Amiga on ebay for sale, but it wasn't the actual interface.  Ha, and here I thought they'd save some $$$ and just make the 20 and 10 use the same interfaces...

3 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

All I get is Boot Error and bullshit. Does anyone know how to use this?

You have to load a DOS up first.  Sounds like the manual is up on Atari Age.  I saw one of the programs was 'LEARN' and another was 'COLOR'.  If the manual there is different to the one I have, I will see about scanning it in.

Yeah, I am betting they are identical.  Mine just says to insert DOS master disk 2.x.  so wasn't sure if they had updated that with a 3.x. I doubt they did.  But the manual does have the instructions on how to use it, surprising, I know!  ?