Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
atari2600land

Homebrew

Recommended Posts

I'm not sure what you mean, unless you're thinking of starting a campaign to have Shenmue III ported to the system. In which case, I'm all in.

 

The Dreamcast has had plenty of homebrews come out since 2001, and they're still being released for the system with some frequency. You just need to haunt Kickstarter and such to get in on the action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean there haven't been any homebrews for the Dreamcast in a long time. I have a couple of them and would like more, but there doesn't seem to be any being worked on or released lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange, if you check the Wikipedia link, you get a different picture:

 

2015: 9 homebrew games

2016: 4 homebrew games

2017: 11 homebrew games

2018: 5 homebrew games

2019: 5 homebrew games

2020: 6 homebrew games counting those expected to be released later this year

 

Sure, 5 games per year is less than one every second month but it doesn't seem entirely dried out?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the reasons I asked why no Dreamcast Subforum At AA. A lot of the DC forums and sites are gone. AA will always live on, so putting it here should help.

"If you build it, they will come".

 

Thank you, Albert.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strictly put, there is no Saturn subforum either, only Genesis and now Dreamcast. I've got no idea how relevant the Saturn is inbetween, otherwise it would be reasonably easy to expand this subforum to cover both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered Wind And Water Puzzle Battle from Goat Store.

Perhaps I should make a DC game. I dabbled in PSX development with my old computer, but didn't get very far.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty of Dreamcast homebrews out there. I listen to the Dreamcast Junkyard podcast....they always tell news of new and in development homebrews for that system. Videogames New York carries many of the homebrew titles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm bumping an old thread. I want a Dreamcast homebrew that comes in a case and disc, so released physically. I also want it to be on only the Dreamcast. (for example, I googled Xenocrisis, and it comes on a whole lot of other platforms besides the Dreamcast.) I don't seem to have any options for this. I bought Inhabitants, Irides, and Wind & Water, but that seems to be all I can find. What are some good homebrew Dreamcast games like those that I should pick up?

I'm trying hard to like the console. I have about 75 games for it. But I can't seem to find that one really great game that justifies owning a Dreamcast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really aren't looking that much then. I just ordered and received Intrepid Izzy for the Dreamcast. Yes it is on other platforms as well, but quite a few indie games make their way. Check out this site for quite a few DC releases in physical format:

 

https://thebitstationgames.com/

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2021 at 8:03 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

You really aren't looking that much then. I just ordered and received Intrepid Izzy for the Dreamcast. Yes it is on other platforms as well, but quite a few indie games make their way. Check out this site for quite a few DC releases in physical format:

 

https://thebitstationgames.com/

 

 

You're right. Have you looked around the web for Dreamcast Homebrews? There are plenty out there to purchase and plenty more on the way. Just look up Dreamcast Homebrew and I'll guarantee you will find something you will like. As for reasons to own a Dreamcast there are so many Sonic 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 2, Gauntlet Legends, Soulcalibur, Hydro Thunder, Jet Set Radio, Metropolis Street Racer, Power Stone 1 and 2, Revolt, Resident Evil: Codename Veronica, etc...I could go on. My nephew and play the heck out of San Francisco Rush 2049 and my buddy and I still play Gauntlet Legends to this day. I purchased Arcade Legends which is a great homebrew racing game for the DC. I love the DC and still have it hooked up and play all the time. Look harder! It's a great system. I do love my Sega. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2021 at 2:42 PM, vrocko said:

You're right. Have you looked around the web for Dreamcast Homebrews? There are plenty out there to purchase and plenty more on the way. Just look up Dreamcast Homebrew and I'll guarantee you will find something you will like. As for reasons to own a Dreamcast there are so many Sonic 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 2, Gauntlet Legends, Soulcalibur, Hydro Thunder, Jet Set Radio, Metropolis Street Racer, Power Stone 1 and 2, Revolt, Resident Evil: Codename Veronica, etc...I could go on. My nephew and play the heck out of San Francisco Rush 2049 and my buddy and I still play Gauntlet Legends to this day. I purchased Arcade Legends which is a great homebrew racing game for the DC. I love the DC and still have it hooked up and play all the time. Look harder! It's a great system. I do love my Sega. 

And also PSO is still relevant! Private servers let you play forever really, who needs anything else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, neogeo1982 said:

And also PSO is still relevant! Private servers let you play forever really, who needs anything else?

The trick is how to attach to them easily though. I played the heck out of PSO on my DC in the early '00s.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 6:53 AM, davidcalgary29 said:

I'm not sure what you mean, unless you're thinking of starting a campaign to have Shenmue III ported to the system. In which case, I'm all in.

 

The Dreamcast has had plenty of homebrews come out since 2001, and they're still being released for the system with some frequency. You just need to haunt Kickstarter and such to get in on the action.

thanks for the link... I had the same impression of Dreamcast being disappearing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...