IGNORED

Disk Image Directories & Management Recommendation

Big_Mo

Hey all.

Just got a SDRIVE MAX and in looking at all the many many floppy images I really want to catalog all the files. Does anyone have a recommendation of a tool I could use on a PC to look at the contents of the disk images? 

Maybe try Disk Explorer in Altirra. Go to File>Disk Drives>... (load disk image file) > (play icon)> Explore Disk.

Altirra-Disk-Explorer_w.thumb.jpg.958157bc212e279bea08349a09b7221e.jpg

I bought an SDrive-Max(with the mini 810 case) recently also and it took a bit of fiddling to get the hang of how image files are selected and what drive is set to load on boot. Using it to back up all my disks I made 38 years ago. Great tool.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JR> said:

That one's really neat and would be great since I bounce between PC & Mac. The maddening thing is it doesn't let you save the directory listing...of all things lol.  I will perhaps ping the author. :)  Thanks!

17 hours ago, Gearhead Lu said:

Maybe try Disk Explorer in Altirra. Go to File>Disk Drives>... (load disk image file) > (play icon)> Explore Disk.

Altirra-Disk-Explorer_w.thumb.jpg.958157bc212e279bea08349a09b7221e.jpg

I bought an SDrive-Max(with the mini 810 case) recently also and it took a bit of fiddling to get the hang of how image files are selected and what drive is set to load on boot. Using it to back up all my disks I made 38 years ago. Great tool.

The SDRIVE MAX does take a bit of getting the hang of. I'm terrified of accidentally plugging the power supply when in when it's set to SIO mode since that apparently fries it.

The silly issue I'm having is that I copied files onto the micro SD from my Mac and every time I do that I get duplicate ._filenames that I now have to figure out how to get rid of.

Pretty much every disc I had from 1984–1987 still read and work. Amazing. But there's a LOT of duplicated content, which is why I want to see all the directories and make new virtual disk images that not so redundant.

• Like 1

Yes, ATADIM, seconded!  Really simple, "drag and drop."  It's only "weakness" is that it chokes on Sparta format images.  Works on XP --> Win10 (although I never used Win8).  Would be nice to have it updated, but still, effective for 95%+ of the images that I look at. 

• Like 2