IGNORED

The Worlds Smallest Atari 8-Bit?

mytek

20 minutes ago, Simply_Graham said:

If it help's I'm happy to work with Mr Robot to make sure the PCB adapter design is completed ? 

My only input would be to make a back panel that fits the mod. If it takes a few months to design, the stl files for the back will be available from @mytek and anyone will be able to mod them. 

10 hours ago, mytek said:

Last I heard from foft is that everything with the exception of key repeat was working properly, but that still means it isn't 100%. As far as the hardware footprint is concerned, the present iteration of PokeyMax is still too wide. Most likely the extra width doesn't impact on a stock Atari, but the NUC as you know is much tighter, mainly it's an issue where the standoff for the FujiNet resides.

I was the gentleman who suggested the Transkey II was working on the IRC chat.  I have the external TranskeyII (which might be different) for the XEGS and a pokeymax v2 installed.  In the pokeymax v2 thread it's mentioned here (post 388) that's it has been fixed.  

I have no issues with repeating keys, nor have I found any other issues.  Of course none of this solves the space issue in NUC+, so I'm just sharing my experiences...

Edited by 8bitguy1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

I am willing to send a SOPHIA 2 to Mr Robot if he believes it makes sense to design a case for this configuration. That said the video out on these are pretty darn good and I don't think the SOPHIA is needed. 

If the video output is that clean connecting to a modern LCD TV, that would be plus! Less work that needs to be done.

9 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

If the video output is that clean connecting to a modern LCD TV, that would be plus! Less work that needs to be done.

It's rock solid on my Acer monitor, I have it going through my retrotink and it looks great. 

1 hour ago, Simply_Graham said:

I'm wondering if a small board could be made that has an HDMI connector rather than DVI, I say this as I know the licencing issues regarding HDMI  over DVI, however if we are talking about an alternative for use in this design, and the sophia is still supplied with the original DVI daughter card, would this be a way around it ?

Showing Jan Beta with an Amiga fitted with a admitidly HDMI to HDMI extension cable

Have a look around the 4 Min mark, shows an HDMI socket on a small PCB, with a different style of connector than Sophia uses, I'm sure a board could be designed for either connector that would fit an apropriately re designed case(s).

If it help's, I'm happy to work with Mr Robot to make sure the PCB adapter design(s) are completed ? 

Hi Simpy_Graham,

Looks like user hasanc already has designed and created a board with Mini HDMI to work with the Sophia 2 if you want to go that route. There is post here showing his results with a 600XL. 
Atari 600XL NTSC and Sophia 2 HDMI install

4 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

That said the video out on these are pretty darn good and I don't think the SOPHIA is needed. 

I have no doubt that the NUC has great video out of the box; but my situation has more to do with connections necessary to make my setup work as I intend. DVI out means I can plug it into my KVM, shove it underneath my monitor stand, and use it like the rest of my machines in a nice, integrated manner.

The other option is to feed the S-Video into something like a RetroTINK, and then cable that to DVI; but Sophia II presents a cleaner solution.

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

I have no doubt that the NUC has great video out of the box; but my situation has more to do with connections necessary to make my setup work as I intend. DVI out means I can plug it into my KVM, shove it underneath my monitor stand, and use it like the rest of my machines in a nice, integrated manner.

The other option is to feed the S-Video into something like a RetroTINK, and then cable that to DVI; but Sophia II presents a cleaner solution.

Understandable. 

I probably shouldn't say this, but it's good to be clear...

So if the 576NUC+ doesn't do all that you want it to, or it can't have all the current bells and whistle upgrades installed inside, it isn't going to be the end of the world. But if you absolutely need every possibility, perhaps the NUC isn't for you ;)

The 576NUC+ was built on the idea of creating the smallest form factor Atari 8-bit computer while still being based on 'REAL' Atari VLSI chips inside. It was something that you could toss into a small bag with an equally small keyboard, and some controllers to easily take with you anywhere. It was suppose to be the most portable 'REAL' Atari 8-bit computer ever conceived.

A central part of this concept was to not have to lug around a disk drive, cassette drive, or even carts. Fujinet with it's WiFi connect-ability and SD drive was included as an integral part of this portable system in order to achieve this vision. The development phase has now ended, and what came out of that process is now for sale. Buy it or not, that is up to you, and there is no requirement that you do so. Think carefully about what it is that you really want, and ask yourself am I better off with some other system (e.g., 1088XEL, 1088XLD, or a stock Atari with upgrades).

• Like 10

2 hours ago, mytek said:

The 576NUC+ was built on the idea of creating the smallest form factor Atari 8-bit computer while still being based on 'REAL' Atari VLSI chips inside. It was something that you could toss into a small bag with an equally small keyboard, and some controllers to easily take with you anywhere. It was suppose to be the most portable 'REAL' Atari 8-bit computer ever conceived.

I totally understand and agree with this desire.. it is exactly the reasons why in my project, I decided to only use 'REAL' ATARI VLSI chips, even if you could reduce most of the original chip set to a FPGA architecture. Not there is anything wrong with using modern solutions, but I also feel strongly about the 'REAL' aspect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mytek said:

I definitely get this vibe from the NUC. I have a 1088XEL, and it's a _delicate_ machine- not something I would just throw into a bag on my way to a VCF event. the NUC is small, hard, and built solid. It feels like a computing appliance, not a vintage computer. It's something you could (and I will) take around with you to show off. Just need to bring the AV cable, a joystick, and a small keyboard. Which is why I got it. With FN you only need a wifi and no longer need to bring your software with you (ok you can put some on the SD card). I would never just throw my 800XL (at this point) into a bag either-- they have gotten too expensive to treat like that! Which is a strange state of affairs, but that is what it is. The NUC is a perfect device for this time- and I only just wonder how much real VLSI is out there for TBA to keep pumping them out. A lot I hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, massiverobot said:

have a 1088XEL, and it's a _delicate_ machine-

They don’t have to be delicate. Mine is in a Realan H80 case with machined anodized aluminum top and rear covers. But I also don’t want to lug it around in a bag or box and risk that beautiful top being scratched or damaged. :) 

68989C7C-EBD4-41FC-9617-72E605ADA237.thumb.jpeg.5eb153ebbcab24c3a0326230fd9d37ff.jpeg

But my NUC+ is definitely a lot more compact and easy to move around! (PCB size comparison - my spare XEL and XLD boards compared to my prototype NUC+)

56D4733C-B3B4-46B4-87F0-98524BCC76A9.thumb.jpeg.ffefbebebd4cb608bd05a3ea0c12bad2.jpeg

• Like 4

On 6/28/2021 at 5:49 PM, scorpio_ny said:

Hi Simpy_Graham,

Looks like user hasanc already has designed and created a board with Mini HDMI to work with the Sophia 2 if you want to go that route. There is post here showing his results with a 600XL. 
Atari 600XL NTSC and Sophia 2 HDMI install

Hi @scorpio_ny

Thanks for point me in to that post, and exactly what I'd though of doing but especially suited to fit in within the NUC, along with modded STL file's should Mt Robot be able to spare anytime on them.

My thoughts were to have both a DVI version and an HDMI version especially designed to take the standard 16 oin Sophia2 cable with a mount for either HDMI or DVI.

Modern hotel TV's don't seem to have a way of accepting composite video, so HDMI for those travelling seemed a good idea.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 4:42 PM, Mr Robot said:

My only input would be to make a back panel that fits the mod. If it takes a few months to design, the stl files for the back will be available from @mytek and anyone will be able to mod them. 

@Mr Robot And thats the bit I have no experiance with what so ever !

I was thinking of an additional board much like the original DVI or the one by @hasanc  but build escpecially for the NUC.

PCB design I am o.k with :)

I do understand @mytek when he used entirely Atari LSI, For me (maybe only me ) I'd like to have a small original based system that can output HDMI Video, just means when the world is to rights I'll be able to stay away and use my NUC  and not an emulator  or an FPGA design for the whole machine.

Edited by Simply_Graham
addition
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Simply_Graham said:

@Mr Robot And thats the bit I have no experiance with what so ever !

I was thinking of an additional board much like the original DVI or the one by @hasanc  but build escpecially for the NUC.

PCB design I am o.k with :)

When you have a NUC that needs an updated back panel let me know

31 minutes ago, Simply_Graham said:

My thoughts were to have both a DVI version and an HDMI version especially designed to take the standard 16 oin Sophia2 cable with a mount for either HDMI or DVI.

Modern hotel TV's don't seem to have a way of accepting composite video, so HDMI for those travelling seemed a good idea.

If you get to that point, keep in mind you will also have to carry external speakers. From what I have reading, HDMI expects a digital audio signal, not analog audio. And many TV’s do not have a global audio input.

But yes, the NUC 576+ makes an excellent travel companion for shows and conventions (and to play games on the road?.) One would not even worry about damage to the case because you can just order another replacement easily.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:42 AM, massiverobot said:

I definitely get this vibe from the NUC. I have a 1088XEL, and it's a _delicate_ machine- not something I would just throw into a bag on my way to a VCF event. the NUC is small, hard, and built solid. It feels like a computing appliance, not a vintage computer. It's something you could (and I will) take around with you to show off. Just need to bring the AV cable, a joystick, and a small keyboard. Which is why I got it. With FN you only need a wifi and no longer need to bring your software with you (ok you can put some on the SD card). I would never just throw my 800XL (at this point) into a bag either-- they have gotten too expensive to treat like that! Which is a strange state of affairs, but that is what it is. The NUC is a perfect device for this time- and I only just wonder how much real VLSI is out there for TBA to keep pumping them out. A lot I hope.

This is why I ordered one as well. Now that covid restrictions are lifting, we're getting back to doing game meetups and events. This thing is PERFECT to throw in a bag with a couple of controllers and an indestructible microswitch keyboard to drag to events to show of games, demos and (soon) online multiplayer. It's also the perfect size to bring to work (I do a lot of IT stuff that requires testing and waiting) to dink around with coding or what have you. I've never felt comfortable doing either thing with my U1mb enabled XL or 320XE, due to rarity, size and the difficulty of replacing. This little thing is perfect.

Once the card addon happens, and I can throw a SIDE cart into it for Spartados X (or bring a stack of game carts to an event), it will be, for me, the perfect machine.

16 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Current progress on the NUC+ Cart addon. This is the first beta of the redesigned case

Wow @Mr Robotthat does look good...

Thank you for the offer of re designing the back panel much appreciated..

I'll add that It'll take me some time as I like to build these projects myself from scratch, so until I have purchased some boards I wont know exactly where to place what for the best fit.

@scorpio_ny Yep aware of the Digital Audio aspect of HDMI, there are units that will add standard Audio to HDMI but they are big and expensive. depending on space maybe able to add a BlueTooth Audio so at least a BT speaker can be used with your phone laptop or this, I'll have to see ?

• Like 1

Is there a way to make it so the AVG SIO cable plugs in directly as it comes out of the cart rather than having to route it? SO you would have a custom AVG cable that's about an inch long that comes out and then angles 90 degrees straight down and plugs in.