IGNORED

The Worlds Smallest Atari 8-Bit?

mytek

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Why 400Hz?

Because the higher frequency allows for greater power output per unit mass or conversely, lower mass for the desired power output. But the higher frequency results in greater series impedance losses and so it's not economical to use over any significant distances.

When I was an engineer on the program during the design phase, there was still some push to make the Space Station Freedom power system 115V 400Hz AC instead of 28V DC, which was what it was ultimate settled on. The AC power system was only seriously considered for space applications when there was still hope for an active solar heat-engine power system (closed cycle fluid-pumped system powered by placing the boiler at the focus of a large deployable mirror). When that design element got tossed, and the rotating machinery that would've naturally come with working fluid in motion, the idea of AC power across the entire station made a lot less sense. So all the equipment I had a hand in designing was 28V DC from the get-go. PV arrays produce DC so you don't need to mess around with heavy inverters and the heat waste involved in the conversion. And heat is a big problem when the entire rest of the universe is effectively your Thermos bottle.  

But all was several decades ago now. Hopefully no numbnuts will ever try to power a NUC with an aircraft power system, either AC or DC. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stephen said:

Why 400Hz?

Even more OT but this question is even more intriguing when you consider that a hydraulic transmission (called a constant speed drive) is required to convert the variable speed of an aircraft's jet engines for generators running at a fixed speed. A lot of this has to do with airlines wanting to keep legacy LRU "boxes" interchangeable when introducing newer airplanes, thus perpetrating a 1950s tech-spec into the 3rd millenium. AFAIK the A380 is the only recent aircraft that uses simpler variable frequency AC generators which are perfectly fine for heating and pumping purposes since there are no more spinning gyros that might depend on a constant frequency.

@DrVenkman, loved your space station explanation!

• Like 3

The NUC's power input situation should be safe to have around the 'usual' collection of PSUs (both Atari and Commodore).  And if you accidentally plug in a typical 9 VAC supply, no harm done. Anything beyond that will probably require a hammer to connect it in most cases anyway, so not really a concern :) .

• Like 1

I've been studying the ESP32 docs a bit more, and will be implementing a few additional changes on my NUC-FujiNet schematics concerning filter capacitors. Also I need to add a capacitor on the 'EN' pin per recommendation as a delayed power-up reset. I see this was already done on the design that @mozzwald has been fine tuning, but I somehow missed that (I should have RTFM). It was also good to know that what is referred to as Pin-39 which consist of 6 square pads underneath the ESP32 module do not have to be soldered, since that would be near impossible to get right when hand soldering due to absolutely no access.

Here's the note in the datasheet.

ESP32-WROVER_datasheet_page_17_note.thumb.png.76435ee48e953a2e63b1f9f8c9ec19c9.png

Since the changes are more than minor, I will be moving up to V1.3 when I release that schematic on my blog in order to avoid confusion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

576NUC+ Cart Lid.png

I was thinking NES too, when I first saw it.

It looks like a nice stable way to hold the cart. But, I'm wondering, it looks like it might not be so easy to remove the cart.

Maybe there needs to be a little space -- for your fingers -- on either side of the cart's top end.

• Like 1

yeah, there will for sure be some changes yet, it will have a header for the AVGCART SIO plug hidden under one of the side ridges, those diagonal lines will have to change, I need to refine the cart slot etc. we will see when I get an alpha printed. 

The cart label will be facing upwards BTW, this is the reverse of where it would be if I just laid the XL cart slot down so I'm a bit concerned that it may trip people up but I really want the cart label to be visible (even if that means upside down) when plugged in.

• Like 1

Something else to consider is those XE carts that have a plastic piece that's sticking out, on the side opposite of the label, towards the top of the cart. A cart like that would not fit in the proposed slot configuration.

Edited by MrFish
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MrFish said:

...But, I'm wondering, it looks like it might not be so easy to remove the cart.

6 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Something else to consider is those XE carts that have a plastic piece that's sticking out, on the side opposite of the label, towards the top of the cart. A cart like that would not fit in the proposed slot configuration.

2 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Every case will come with a file to assist in the removal of that plastic piece ;)

One solution -- to both problems -- would be to allow the cart to hang out from the back of the machine just enough to allow for that plastic part of the XE carts to clear, which would also give enough cart to grab onto for removal.

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

One solution -- to both problems -- would be to allow the cart to hang out from the back of the machine just enough to allow for that plastic part of the XE carts to clear, which would also give enough cart to grab onto for removal.

Having another look, though; it looks like the idea I'm proposing would cause the cart to obstruct view of some of the Fujinet controls a little bit.

I see a lot of critiquing going on, and not much in the way of WOW that's cool!!!  Maybe its just me, but that was my reaction when he first showed me the example image.

But no worries it's going to have an electric ejection system with a motion sensor that detects your hand approaching ;) . Or even more spectacular - explosive bolts :-o .

Seriously though Mr Robot has a good handle (no pun intended) on these sort of things. And I'm sure all considerations will be made in the final design, even accommodating those fat Polish carts (must have eaten too much sausage).

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

The cart label will be facing upwards BTW, this is the reverse of where it would be if I just laid the XL cart slot down so I'm a bit concerned that it may trip people up but I really want the cart label to be visible (even if that means upside down) when plugged in.

I think it will come natural to insert carts label up and it certainly looks better and is more practical (not to mention carts like SantosPs OSS multicart with a front display).

16 minutes ago, mytek said:

But no worries it's going to have an electric ejection system with a motion sensor that detects your hand approaching ;) . Or even more spectacular - explosive bolts :-o .

Now that's the spirit! Maybe he can use the famous Sunbeam toaster mechanism for inspiration...;)

• Like 1

I must admit I'd forgotten about the XE carts with the ridge on the back, I don't own one of those so I've never seen one in real life.

I appreciate the critique, it's all been positive so far, genuine suggestions to stop me from making a stupid mistake. I'll probably end up with some kind of recess to fit that plastic piece and allow room for fingers to grip the cart before removal, I expect the entire front being exposed is good enough to generate enough friction to get the cart out but we shall see when I first print. I don't want the cart to hang out on any side, and I want the label to be upwards (that makes it SIDE compatible too) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I must admit I'd forgotten about the XE carts with the ridge on the back, I don't own one of those so I've never seen one in real life.

I don't own any of those style cartridges myself anymore; otherwise I'd give you some dimensions. I do know that it protrudes off the back of the cart quite a bit.

Here's a picture of one; it doesn't show how far it sticks out from the back though. IIRC, it was supposed to support the cart, against the desk, when plugged into a 130XE or 65XE. I never liked the things...

1433600623_donkeykongback.thumb.jpg.500d8c93c210332061d1f876b68d5ac2.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Wow - never saw one of those cart cases.

They're common XE carts. 

All the ones in this picture that don't have the ridges on the sides (like common XL grey-style carts) have them.

I'm pretty sure there are more that use that cart style too. This is just from a group that I sold on Ebay a long time ago.

273231320_aall25.thumb.jpg.0f969fc98eb1ed568023af4ce00060a2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Do you have access to angled cartridge connector? It's a nice design, but it might cause more problems, for example mechanical stability and reliability. I would personally prefer to see a XEGS  styled case with cart sticking straight up on the top and with the buttons also on the top. This style of case would be also shorter. 

Afaik,

the XE carts with a nose on the back were originally made in Hong Kong, the other XE carts with Atari Fuji on the back were made in Taiwan. (Later Atari used whatever cover sticker they had available, so even when your sticker says Hong Kong, it could still be a Taiwan cart and vice-versa.)

• Like 1