IGNORED

New versions available

F.G. Kaal

2 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Found in my file IO functions that the PAB's where defined with a length of 50 bytes. But the minimum MDOS PAB size is 15 bytes (TI99 it is 10 bytes) leaving 35 bytes for the path/filename. I have never looked at this again after the first creation of GDM2K in 2009. I increased this to 60 bytes so that the maximum path/filename length is 45 bytes. I am thinking about some check in this code to prevent this problem again in the future. Also did something about the cosmetic issue

The Myarc HFDC DSR imposed a maximum path.filename length of 40 characters and this carried through to the MDOS DSR and OS command line interface.  I still have hopes that someday, this can be increased but it is not a simple change.  In theory, you should see an error condition if you try to use a path.filename of greater than 40 characters. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

@9640News and everybody else interested.

Here it is ... GDM2K version 3.7

Found in my file IO functions that the PAB's where defined with a length of 50 bytes. But the minimum MDOS PAB size is 15 bytes (TI99 it is 10 bytes) leaving 35 bytes for the path/filename. I have never looked at this again after the first creation of GDM2K in 2009. I increased this to 60 bytes so that the maximum path/filename length is 45 bytes. I am thinking about some check in this code to prevent this problem again in the future. Also did something about the cosmetic issues. 

And yes ... the program is a bit shorter than it was ... I did a lot of work on my C99C optimizers during the X-mass holidays ;-)

Enjoy!

Gdm2k_V37.zip 178.93 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks for the fix.  All your hard work developing this program is well appreciated.

Beery

6 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

@9640News and everybody else interested.

Here it is ... GDM2K version 3.7

Found in my file IO functions that the PAB's where defined with a length of 50 bytes. But the minimum MDOS PAB size is 15 bytes (TI99 it is 10 bytes) leaving 35 bytes for the path/filename. I have never looked at this again after the first creation of GDM2K in 2009. I increased this to 60 bytes so that the maximum path/filename length is 45 bytes. I am thinking about some check in this code to prevent this problem again in the future. Also did something about the cosmetic issues. 

And yes ... the program is a bit shorter than it was ... I did a lot of work on my C99C optimizers during the X-mass holidays ;-)

Enjoy!

Gdm2k_V37.zip 178.93 kB · 4 downloads

Just downloaded and copied the files without any error reports.  A GREAT PROGRAM just got even BETTER!!!!

Thanks for all your work and support!  It is very much appreciated!!!

Beery

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Just downloaded and copied the files without any error reports.  A GREAT PROGRAM just got even BETTER!!!!

Thanks for all your work and support!  It is very much appreciated!!!

Beery

For sure with the hard work on combing through the code for the fix. The level of effort is greatly appreciated by other users. Beautiful stuff to behold for these old classic computers.

23 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

The Myarc HFDC DSR imposed a maximum path.filename length of 40 characters and this carried through to the MDOS DSR and OS command line interface.  I still have hopes that someday, this can be increased but it is not a simple change.  In theory, you should see an error condition if you try to use a path.filename of greater than 40 characters. 

Thanks for this info InsaneMultitasker.

I thought I had allready read this number of 40 characters for the path.filename length before. I decrease the PAB buffers in my code now to 55 characters and add that maximum path.filename check. This is really needed to prevent that a too long path.filename is overwriting the next PAB book keeping or the code behind the PAB's. This is what Beery encountered in the previous version and this happened before the MDOS code had a chance to issue that error.

Fred ;-)

On 4/15/2023 at 6:45 AM, F.G. Kaal said:

Was searching for opening com ports in windows using C, some automatic AI thing told me this all by itself:

To open a COM port in Windows 11 using C code, you can use the following code snippet:

HANDLE hSerial;
hSerial = CreateFile(L"COM1", GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE, 0, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL);
if (hSerial == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {
    if (GetLastError() == ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) {
        printf("serial port does not exist.\n");
    }
    printf("some other error occurred.\n");
}

This differs nothing in what I am doing. So there is nothing new under the sun regarding opening COM ports in Windows.

And what do you mean by this ?: "no it pretty much just works as long as I define what serial port is com1 etc.."

I mean that wine acts just like windows, it's an API wrapper for windows programs to operate in linux..

I open hypterterminal and it works fine with the comport I have defined as COM1 in the registry to point to /dev/ttyUSB0 on linux..  while your program does not receive or send data. 

I'm wondering if maybe one of your checks for the port is the issue, perhaps WINE isn't implementing something you are expecting before allowing traffic.. I see the rts cts going live in your status window..but that's it

I am happy to get on a zoom call with you and show you all about it if you want. pm if interested

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @F.G. Kaal 

I downloaded the latest GDM2K from your web site.  Thank you!  I am using it now and it is working well. :)

I noticed you included EXEC 2.4G. This is an older version.  It is OK to retain because it is the special version by Tony (Gazoo) but it does have some issues that were part of the base 2.4 release.  The MDOS 7.30 package included EXEC version 2.7 (Release March 3, 2021) which fixes some bugs and updated the powerup sequence.  Maybe include both in the next release?

I need to find a way to consolidate my latest versions, in a topic or site, as I had trouble finding the right post/file  :) 

(Edit: corrected link, clarified a few things)

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 9:57 PM, arcadeshopper said:

I open hypterterminal and it works fine with the comport I have defined as COM1 in the registry to point to /dev/ttyUSB0 on linux..  while your program does not receive or send data. 

Hi Gregory,

Due to personal circumstances I don't have much / any time to spent on hobbies at the moment.

Just one question for now; If you use the same com-port settings with hyperterminal as Ti99Hdx (38K4 baud, 8 data bits, Even parity, 1 stop bit) does Hyperterminal still work with Wine ?

Fred 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 9:20 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

The MDOS 7.30 package included EXEC version 2.7

I make a note of this. I wan't to do a test with Gdm2k I never did with a circulair buffer. Just to make sure it is functioning properly. Then I add the latest versions (for so far I know) to the release.

13 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Hi Gregory,

Due to personal circumstances I don't have much / any time to spent on hobbies at the moment.

Just one question for now; If you use the same com-port settings with hyperterminal as Ti99Hdx (38K4 baud, 8 data bits, Even parity, 1 stop bit) does Hyperterminal still work with Wine ?

Fred 

last I checked yes it does with those settings and don't worry about time etc ;) I'm patient..my wine bug has been open for years :)

• 2 months later...

@F.G. Kaal,

Just reporting an observation.

I noticed today I hit the buffer limit on the number of files/directories that can be displayed in GDM2K.  I have 290 entries in my root folder of the TIPI.  It looks like the limit of display is the first 242 entries which were the first 242 directories.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, 9640News said:

@F.G. Kaal,

Just reporting an observation.

I noticed today I hit the buffer limit on the number of files/directories that can be displayed in GDM2K.  I have 290 entries in my root folder of the TIPI.  It looks like the limit of display is the first 242 entries which were the first 242 directories.

Ti standard: 127 filenames, 114 directory names = 241 entries.

• Like 1