IGNORED

More unknown BBS software...

doctor_x

A few more titles in this text file that I’ve not heard of before.

http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-programs-can-i-use-to-host-a-bbs-on-the-atari_105.html

I suppose one more domain couldn’t hurt... I think I will throw up a web site dedicated to Atari BBS Software and keep a list of all “possibly known” atari bbs software there as well as a method by which to contact me in case someone has something listed as “not owned”.....

Will get yall a link once I have it up.....

8 hours ago, doctor_x said:

A few more titles in this text file that I’ve not heard of before.

http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-programs-can-i-use-to-host-a-bbs-on-the-atari_105.html

I suppose one more domain couldn’t hurt... I think I will throw up a web site dedicated to Atari BBS Software and keep a list of all “possibly known” atari bbs software there as well as a method by which to contact me in case someone has something listed as “not owned”.....

Will get yall a link once I have it up.....

I've seen that web page before, but I must have missed the 835/1030 BBS program by Gardner Computing Company/Duplicating Technologies (DT). Maybe that page was updated recently?

While looking up the 835/1030 BBS ad, I came across another BBS program called "Quill". Have you heard of it?

It apparently came out in 1984 and was supposedly written in Action! A one line mention is in issue #8 of ROM Magazine (page 6):

https://archive.org/details/ROM_Magazine_v1i8/page/n5/mode/2up?q=BBS

You can see an ad for the 835/1030 BBS at the following links:

Rom Magazine #9 December 1984/January 1985 (page 36; an ad from Gardner Computing Company)

https://archive.org/details/ROM_Magazine_v1i9/page/n35/mode/2up?q=Bulletin

Antic Magazine Volume 4 Number 10 February 1986 (page 44; an ad from Duplicating Technolgies)

https://archive.org/details/1986-02-anticmagazine/page/n43/mode/2up?q=Bulletin

I don't know anything about the 835/1030 BBS either.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 1

Some serious investigative reporting. I found a list of BBS’ and platforms at texfiles.com 

if you haven’t seen the BBS list, stats and the historical retention of data all in one place - make this site a priority 

51 minutes ago, RobVWA said:

Some serious investigative reporting. I found a list of BBS’ and platforms at texfiles.com 

if you haven’t seen the BBS list, stats and the historical retention of data all in one place - make this site a priority 

Check out the link to ROM #8 above...there's a big Atari BBS list there too.

-JP

I will buy a domain today and get a rough site up this weekend. There are too many things coming out of the woodwork not to keep track of them in a central location along with a quick little feedback method for people to submit anything they’ve heard of (moderated of course)... 

thanks for the help and the support guys.. i hope I find a suitable Fuji logo to use as my backdrop for the text panel ... 

X, if you need some support, I have a repository of Atari links to content, bunch of docs, etc.. Glad to help with content or pages if needed. I started building some of this as well under www.southernamis.com 

its the last section to be completed but with so much content, trying to find a very creative way of indexing and housing the materials is still in design as links disconnect as we know.. I have tested a simple menu app in the site for a few downloads. Works ok but a JIRA type structured approach with files, descriptions and ability to comment on the topic is what I have been contemplating. But yet, very compact.

And just as a side note- http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=nowinki&ucat=1&subaction=showfull&id=1594542582 

Poland Atari Community is highly active - The link above is another example for large volume content

Edited by RobVWA
More Content

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:

I know I had a copy of Gardner bbs. But I think when I was testing it, it was always crashing. I probably had a very early version, but that was what was most frustrating about the bbs programs written in basic. Crash crash crash. 

That's cool. I never saw it running before. I wonder what it was like. Yeah, most BBSs before BBS Express! would regularly crash. That was par for the course until original BBS Express! was released. Carina I was especially problematic in that sometimes the BBS would crash and leave the user in a BASIC prompt. I know a SysOp who had his hard drive formatted by a user after the user was dropped in a BASIC prompt (the user admitted doing it years later). I think Carina II is more stable now, but unfortunately, it lost potential market dominance with Carina I's instability.

-JP

22 hours ago, JohnPolka said:

That's cool. I never saw it running before. I wonder what it was like. Yeah, most BBSs before BBS Express! would regularly crash. That was par for the course until original BBS Express! was released. Carina I was especially problematic in that sometimes the BBS would crash and leave the user in a BASIC prompt. I know a SysOp who had his hard drive formatted by a user after the user was dropped in a BASIC prompt (the user admitted doing it years later). I think Carina II is more stable now, but unfortunately, it lost potential market dominance with Carina I's instability.

-JP

I think it was just a 1030 Modem conversion of AMIS. (Which explains the crashing issues. Lol).  

50 minutes ago, moonlight_mile said:

Come to think of it I think I had an official copy of it. As I remember an official looking disk label. I think it was given to me by one of the local sysops. 

I can't believe anyone would buy it back then. According to the linked ad above, it was $74.95 in 1984 dollars! That's $185.97 in 2020 dollars! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JohnPolka said:

I can't believe anyone would buy it back then. According to the linked ad above, it was $74.95 in 1984 dollars! That's $185.97 in 2020 dollars! 

Ouch. I get the strange feeling, since it isn’t widely know, that price fell faster than a lead balloon. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Doesnt matter.. any version of anything that had a different name i want to chronicle... i mean after Curt dying Im feeling like I really need to accelerate this.. I drink a bit too much who knows... I wanna get this list going, give someone secondary rights to it and let it be a TRUE and LIVING resource.. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 9:52 PM, doctor_x said:

Doesnt matter.. any version of anything that had a different name i want to chronicle... i mean after Curt dying Im feeling like I really need to accelerate this.. I drink a bit too much who knows... I wanna get this list going, give someone secondary rights to it and let it be a TRUE and LIVING resource.. 

Looking forward to it. I would support, and contribute. Doctor X. .. here to help!

1 hour ago, Bikerbob said:

Looking forward to it. I would support, and contribute. Doctor X. .. here to help!

Actually we are working on an AtariBBSGurus site... Just so you know.

Will be the focus of the end of year "gotta use up my PTO because it doesn't carry over".

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Still working on it.  Unfortunately, I got a little ill and then when Congress passed the relief package everything went to hell at work (I'm a software engineer lead for a bank) to get ready for it.

Though I actually am back to making some progress on it.

40 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Still working on it.  Unfortunately, I got a little ill and then when Congress passed the relief package everything went to hell at work (I'm a software engineer lead for a bank) to get ready for it.

want help?

6 hours ago, Tillek said:

I am in FinTech as well... I have been very lucky to have zero issues. Will pray that your situ resolves without too much pain!