IGNORED

Lynx II Pause Button not Working

OldAtAtari

Hello, all!

I'm loving my new Atari Lynx II. a couple days ago, I recapped it, and I replaced the power circuit parts. I also tied a USB cord into cap 41, and I'm loving that. It's so great that I can connect this to a power bank and leave the old cord in the case.

But somewhere along the line, I broke my pause button. Before I open the thing up again, would anybody like to take a guess as to what the problem could be? Could I have shorted something out with the cap job? Or is it more likely that I just didn't plug in the ribbon cable solidly enough? By the way, before I did those electronics repairs, I did pull out the buttons and clean the contacts, and it worked great after that. It's only after this latest batch repairs that it's having a problem.

Thank you all so much.

Just had a thought. I've noticed since putting this back together at the battery compartment screw will not tighten up. I know that there is a ribbon cable running under there across the length of the battery compartment. How is the cable supposed to interact with that screw? Is the screw supposed to pass through it? Or is the cable supposed to route around the screw? And if I put it together wrong, could this screw be puncturing the pause wire, if the pause wire is part of that ribbon cable?

Edited by OldAtAtari

Okay, crisis averted. I took it apart and pulled out the smaller ribbon cable from its connector. I lightly cleaned it's contacts with some electronics cleaner (lightly, because it seems like the contacts could be easily worn off), and then I reinserted the cable, being sure to push it in as far as I could, and then put it back together. It all works now. Apparently the pause contact was just not making a connection. The battery compartment screw still does not tighten up. I just put a piece of electrical tape over the screw head to hold the screw in place. I can't see that the screw is really holding it together anyway.

Edited by OldAtAtari
  • Like 1

I'm just now seeing this, but my first suggestion was going to be to check the ribbon cable. They use carbon coated traces and wear stupid easily. So just the act of pulling the ribbon cable out can wear them off. But you can take some scissors and just trim up about 1mm or so off the bottom to provide fresh carbon traces for the socket to interact with. 

• Like 1

Thank you, CrossBow! I'm glad I didn't have to trim the cable this time, but it's really great to know that I have that option. Those contacts are very worn, so one more disconnect and reconnect might be enough to cause loss of functionality. But now I'll have a solution for that. Thanks again. I always appreciate your advice.