IGNORED

Ivanka Trumps Macintosh SE

Fascinating, but good luck proving it without some provenance.  I think that's why the bidding is that low, it's a gamble on what amounts to just an old Mac that seemingly looks/works great which is something given it's age.  But anyone could have screwed with the clock on it, made up a file, slapper her name on it and tried to cash in.

• Like 2

Very curious.  Seems fairly unlikely that a student in 1996 at the earliest would be using a Macintosh SE running System 6, and it becomes even less likely as we approach that "class of 2000" date.  Still, it could have been an older machine in a lab, or a teacher's I suppose.  Other files on the disk might give some additional insight, but I'm not spending $300 on an SE!

44 minutes ago, DNA128k said:

Very curious.  Seems fairly unlikely that a student in 1996 at the earliest would be using a Macintosh SE running System 6, and it becomes even less likely as we approach that "class of 2000" date.  Still, it could have been an older machine in a lab, or a teacher's I suppose.  Other files on the disk might give some additional insight, but I'm not spending $300 on an SE!

I have the same mac at home right now.  No need.  Just thought it was interesting they claimed it was hers.  But as Tanooki said hard to prove it really was hers and not faked.  And Mac SE FDHD was 1989.  So 1996 7 years later it is hard to believe.  Plus trump is rich.  He would of bought a new computer.  Why would he make her use an old computer.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

If his only proof of provenance is one single solitary file, supposedly an old term paper, then I would expect he his opening himself up to some kind of claim against the sale.  But then again, eBay, buyer beware, whatever.

Like others, I find this claim dubious, at best.  The paper could very well be hers and there is no way to prove or disprove without her direct involvement.  As for ownership of the machine, stipulating the paper is indeed the work of Ivanka Trump, I find it more likely the computer was a lab or library computer which she used to work on her paper. Even more likely that no one will ever know.

5 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

If you look at pic 4 it says the term paper was created Thursday January 30th 1997.  So at least the time adds up.  Somewhere inbetween 1996 to 2000.

You should buy it then! It must be legit! It's all yours! Ivanka will love you forever! Trumpity dump slump bump chump! 

• Sad 1

While I would normally find the various typos comical (especially in the title) since I'm the opposite of a fan of hers, nothing about this adds up, obviously. Putting aside the idea that the family, even then, would allow a computer with personal data to leave their sight, the timing itself is way off for a person of her status to be using a late 80s computer into the late 90s. Fortunately, it seems no one has taken the bait thus far, which is nice to see as the auction goes into its waning hours.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

a person of her status to be using a late 80s computer into the late 90s. 

I will have you know, sir, that I used my 130XE and a Star "Rainbow" printer (later upgraded to a Canon BJ-200!) for my essays in university in the early '90s. And I'm a Very Important Person. :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

While I would normally find the various typos comical (especially in the title) since I'm the opposite of a fan of hers, nothing about this adds up, obviously. Putting aside the idea that the family, even then, would allow a computer with personal data to leave their sight, the timing itself is way off for a person of her status to be using a late 80s computer into the late 90s. Fortunately, it seems no one has taken the bait thus far, which is nice to see as the auction goes into its waning hours.

It's plausible that the school she was attending still used such old machines for word processing tasks and the like. Though it is unusual that a prestigious boarding school wouldn't regularly upgrade their computing equipment, if you attended any school in the 1990s you were bound to come across an outdated terminal somewhere in the building. I don't think this was Ivanka's personal computer, just a random Mac she typed an essay on for a class assignment.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, roadrunner said:

I see someone's triggered over this listing, anyway Ivanka was a very popular person made the Maxim Hot 100 list back in 2007. 6 watchers , less than 2 hours left. 

I wouldn't pay any attention to low-information opinions.. Most are formed by folks a little rough around the edges. Devoid of thoughtfulness. You get the idea.

On 7/21/2020 at 5:58 PM, 0078265317 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363049016120

Just saw this.  Interesting story.  Not my auction.  See description.  If that really was hers then it should be worth way more than 300 should it not?

If anything, if true, that Mac has interesting and amusing provenance. Not valuable provenance however. As an Apple collector it doesn't do anything for me.

As a matter of fact: there have been very very few instances of an Apple (or any classic computer) command a high price just because it was used by someone of fame and fortune.

On 7/21/2020 at 5:58 PM, 0078265317 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363049016120

Just saw this.  Interesting story.  Not my auction.  See description.  If that really was hers then it should be worth way more than 300 should it not?

21 hours ago, Shawn said:

Only someone like you would even give consideration to this. 

Fail. Stop changing the meaning of someone's post. No one said anything about bidding or buying this.

32 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Fail. Stop changing the meaning of someone's post. No one said anything about bidding or buying this.

Thanks but I am using the ignore feature to ignore him here.

And yes I never said buy.  The fact that nobody else bid proves its not worth it.  I was also thinking as Tanooki and others said here there is no way to prove this is legit.

16 hours ago, Keatah said:

You ever seen Mjolnir crush a 10 digit numeric sequence through a trippletopped roadrunning Keatah? Me either, but I still keep the hope alive cause it makes sense that it's bound to happen sooner or later.

The only way this would potentially add up, and I'm smartassing that saying by using 'new math' but this is some astrology level reasoning here of all the stars aligning.  This would have to be at the right time, right place, and right person and it maybe had a chance.  The thing is, it's old, even by the time that was typed up, given it's not a forged date screwing with the internal clock setting on the BIOS/OS of that Mac...I mean hell people in 2020 are defeating internet checks to time machine the crap out of Animal Crossing to make big bells.

Basically that school she went to was rich, so it's beyond any doubt they'd have computers, lots of them, but the question would be why would they not update them?  Then again, given they didn't want kids messing online and doing work, that would be a good stopper, and just because they had money didn't mean they'd spend it on something that got the job done already that was maintained.  So assuming it was from that school, and at the time still used, and potentially was used by her then sure it's possible that they did some of their paper writing for school in school, and not just at home.  I imagine even from that to a newer(for then) apple/mac computer files could go back and forward so maybe that was a started draft, copied, taken home and finished as that subject typo is too dumb to be missed. :)

I know her father is a bit of an internet attention whore with twitter, but beyond marketing she doesn't seem to be anymore than someone else who uses instagram, twitter etc.  I know it's a HUGE stretch, and a big pile of luck, but one could I suppose reach out to one of her public accounts she runs.  Tell her in as few words as possible not to bore someone into not caring, and point to the auction.  If anyone could clear that up, it's her.  Even if she didn't read it, perhaps ask if she wrote a paper with that title back then.  That would be the only honest way to get provenance, an answer from her from a public verified account.  THen that $300 would blow up far more than you could imagine due to the celebrity factor love or hate the family (or her at least.)

23 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

If his only proof of provenance is one single solitary file, supposedly an old term paper, then I would expect he his opening himself up to some kind of claim against the sale.  But then again, eBay, buyer beware, whatever.

Like others, I find this claim dubious, at best.  The paper could very well be hers and there is no way to prove or disprove without her direct involvement.  As for ownership of the machine, stipulating the paper is indeed the work of Ivanka Trump, I find it more likely the computer was a lab or library computer which she used to work on her paper. Even more likely that no one will ever know.

I would agree with this theory, it's probably just a machine she used in a library to print it out or something, while writing it elsewhere.  In any event, that model seems to sell for around $200 in that condition.

13 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Also interesting they relisted but did not lower the price.  What are they hopping for?  Nobody bid at that price its obviously too much.  Got to lower it.

My assumption is they'll keep trying in hopes it somehow goes viral (easy enough with the right throwaway article) or at least sells for the upsized price. Nothing to lose by keeping it up there I guess, but this person obviously didn't do a good job proving provenance. Anyone can throw that name on a mediocre paper and claim it's from who they say it is.

13 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Also interesting they relisted but did not lower the price.  What are they hopping for?  Nobody bid at that price its obviously too much.  Got to lower it.

Lots of people let overpriced items continue to relist over and over. Sometimes I watch them just to give them hope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1